SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:56 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoFly View Post
..............The first thing to break will be the nose wheel wire. Upgrade to thicker wire............
Thanks for all the info Vinnie. I had to go to thicker wire on my SR Bantam as well.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoFly View Post
PS: A slower motor will fly this plane. 8" is about the biggest you want to go. It flys great slow. But to be my every day flyer it has to have a bit more balls and have power to climb into the clouds quickly. The first video in front of my house was a slow setup which is what SR recommends. But the second video is why I love that plane. I should make a newer once since those are very old and I'm doing alot more with that plane now. I think I could probably do more touch faster and goes rolls on turn.

One manuever I love that makes guys pucker when I do it, is touch - power up which will torque the plane left, roll left inverted low to the ground and fly out inverted. Guys think I'm crashing. Even cooler is to let it roll left, and push to turn it inverted while flying out low. Or allow it to roll on it's back - push to climb, then pull and doing a tight dive to the ground turn - pass again rapidly. Freaks people right out.

Vinnie
I agree Vinnie, you should make a new video. Thanks for clearing up the motor issue
chetway is offline Find More Posts by chetway
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,883 Posts
Get those SR X250's built. You'll love them. It taught me - low wing, flat bottom wing, no dyhedral is my favorite type of plane. Even though it is a low wing sport plane, it comes in for a landing sooo easy, and so predictable.

You will love it !

Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:15 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined May 2004
1,883 Posts
Photos from 2007. The layout is about the same but now 2.4Ghz, and faster JustGoFly 450T2 motor.

Note - I run FOUR rubber bands. Two in X and Two straight. If one breaks one in X will save you. It's saved me before. Remember to change the rubber bands every year.

Vinnie
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
349 Posts
Vinnie, very nice looking plane! So in your opinion would an Eflite 480 910kv motor be too much for this plane?
bpink43 is online now Find More Posts by bpink43
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:31 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,976 Posts
Blake,

Have You checked it out in motocalc? I think that the trick, as Vinny put it, is to get an 8x4 or 8x6 in the power band. With these classic type trike designs you want to emulate their glow engine counterparts. Think of a 10 or a 15 and what kind of prop they spin. The 8x6 would be akin to a 15 and those engines do rev.

If the 480 spools up on an 8x6 and 3s as required you're good to go. Any weight difference in the motors should be marginal. My feeling is the motor is not designed for 8" props though. Most EFlite offerings except for the racing and heli 25's and the in runners (six series) are designed for big props. The Pico motor which is virtually the same to Vinny's setup uses a 1450 Kv motor. It gets up to power on an 8x6 very nicely.

David

PS the same concept will apply to the Nano except there we can go up to 10" if desired regardless of gear. A 9x6, just like glow, at 14+K will be sweet, just have to select a motor that won't melt doing it!
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:13 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined May 2004
1,883 Posts
What David said. Yep !

Basically 910 Kv motors are designed to turn 11-12" props. If you run them on an 8" prop they will draw very low amps and you'll be flying very slowly.

You may be able to extend the front wheel wire to take larger props but I still tap the 8" on the ground and that is the largest prop I would recommend. So stick with 1300-1400 Kv motors that are rated for 8". They also fly well on 7".

I did extend my nose wire to try larger props and it looked odd pitching the nose up and not level, so I moved it back which prompted me to go to a faster motor. You should be able to measure this and if you make your own wheel gear you can extend all of them to whichever size is appropriate for the prop you desire. STOCK requires 8".

Also don't use cheap GWS props - go with APC or other quality props that can handle the RPM without warbling.

If you don't want speed - just drop the pitch of the prop to 8x4, or even lower. Or just pull back on that right stick Going vertical - you will find yourself pushing that stick all the way forward.

I have sold MANY 450T2 motors. One local guy has eight. It is very popular and it makes any plane of this size rip. The pusher is most versatile and can be mounted in front of the plane, or behind - pushing a different style plane. There are higher performance motors - but I think this is the best blend of speed and thrust.

Nose weight is a small issue. As I said - to nose heavy and she doesn't land or roll well. So don't go too huge on the motor size. And a 1600 mah 3S 25C or higher is ideal.

Vinnie
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Dec 2009
349 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for all the input David and Vinnie and everyone else. I have decided to leave the 480 on the shelf and I will be looking for a different motor to spin the 8" prop.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:34 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
bpink43,

SR's AcroPro might be a better fit for your Park 480. I bet you could kitbash it into a low wing plane:

http://www.srbatteries.com/acropro.htm
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Feb 01, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetway View Post
Andy, Would love to see some pics and videos if posible. Oops, pics already posted. Any video
I just went through where I would expect to find them and didn't see any. Seems like I have videos of everything else. This gives me a good item for my to-do-this-summer list.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:11 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined May 2004
1,883 Posts
Honestly why would you choose a 181 gram Pico motor to turn an 8 inch prop when the 450T2 does the same thing at 45 grams. You'd have to rearrange the servos and battery to be way backwards and you'd be alot heavier. Low weight, high power, and efficiency is why we kick many motors asses. You have no idea how many emails that say "Why aren't you guys more popular you brand name motors ass". I love to see guys selling out motors after flying them for five years.

Vinnie
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:47 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,976 Posts
Vinnie,

There might be some confusion regarding my use of the word "Pico". I am not referring to a motor brand but to a scratch built 40" span reduced scale Tiporare that I coined the Picorare. My avatar shows a picture of it.

The motor I used on it is a Dualsky 1460 KV 28 mm can that turns an 8x6 on 3s in the 250W range. Likely very similar performance to the motor you're using on the X-250.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
349 Posts
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma11-2220-1380kv.htmlSo I was thinking of getting this motor and trying it.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:34 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,355 Posts
This is the motor I chose for my Baby Birdie. Just another idea for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...20&postcount=4

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2009
349 Posts
Hi Doug, I actually chose to use this motor for my baby birdie, just havnt started to build it yet, but I have the motor none the less. http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma68-2205-3400kv.html