SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:28 PM
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
216 Posts
I decided for sport flying to get an Extreme Flight Edge or Extra, neither of which is available, but even so I still wanted a Meridian. HH had a nice Black Friday sale, so I got a Meridian. Power 60B (470), Talon 90, already had Glacier 5300 mAh lipos. May be awhile before it's airborn.
seldredge is online now Find More Posts by seldredge
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 02:11 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
I decided for sport flying to get an Extreme Flight Edge or Extra, neither of which is available, but even so I still wanted a Meridian. HH had a nice Black Friday sale, so I got a Meridian. Power 60B (470), Talon 90, already had Glacier 5300 mAh lipos. May be awhile before it's airborn.
Funny move..."I went out to buy a Porsche and came home with a Ford"..... I have both EF and a Meridian and they are totally different sorts of flying. Perhaps I misunderstood where you were going.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Dec 02, 2014, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2014
216 Posts
I see where I wasn't clear ("...but even so..."). The question had gone from either/or to both, because they are different. I want to experience both, and I have not been able to find anything like the Meridan/Pulse, Sig 4 Star on the used market around here. The Meridian was going to wait for awhile, but not probably until next Black Friday. I decided to go ahead and get it sooner because of the deal, and because EF hasn't had any planes for awhile, and may not for awhile.
Last edited by seldredge; Dec 02, 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2014, 11:50 AM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
495 Posts
No, you can't 3D with a Meridian. On the hand, if your engine dies 40' up halfway down the runway, you can still leisurely glide right back around and put her down with no drama. The Extra would have a glide slope of a rock and be in the weeds at the end of the field or in pieces after a low speed tip stall.
Having said that, the Extra is still my favorite. But if i had to pick a Chevy, it would be the Meridian...very happily!
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Dec 02, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined May 2014
216 Posts
I sold my trainer, but miss that sort of flying. With the Meridian, the goal is to swoop about, and learn to do a four point roll level on the same axis. The Splendor is a fun teacher and glue testbed, but the long body makes it feel odd in turns that aren't really large radius.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2014
216 Posts
Meridian build question - adhesives

The manual calls for thin and medium CA, 15-minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy, J-B weld, and Zap Goo.

In the actual instructions, CA is called out often but never whether it is thin vs medium. 15-minute epoxy is called out once. Other than that it just says "epoxy."

I didn't find any mention of the others.

I have thin, medium, and thick CA, although they are perhaps a year old now and not stored in any special way (in a jar with silica gel, etc.). I need to get epoxy. I was going to do the build (electric) with fresh adhesives, but I don't want to buy what I don't really need.

What do I really need?
Last edited by seldredge; Dec 08, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:17 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
The manual calls for thin and medium CA, 15-minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy, J-B weld, and Zap Goo.

In the actual instructions, CA is called out often but never whether it is thin vs medium. 15-minute epoxy is called out once. Other than that it just says "epoxy."

I have thin, medium, and thick CA, although they are perhaps a year old now and not stored in any special way (in a jar with silica gel, etc.). I need to get epoxy. I was going to do the build (electric) with fresh adhesives, but I don't want to buy what I don't really need.

What do I really need?
To me it will depend on the kind of part you are about to glue/joint, for example when I'm joining the horizontal stab against the fuselage, the rule of thumb is to use 30min epoxy to have more time to manipulate and align the position of the stabilizer in place, making sure it is fully level against the wings, same distance point to point, etc. using a shorter time epoxy will give you of course less time to do this maneuver and you will be limited in case of a last minute correction. For any straight forward gluing job that requires epoxy, is OK to use the 15 or even the 5min... again .. all will depend on how quick and fuss-less is the process to join both parts.

Same apply to the CA, the only special consideration I remember so far with this kind of glue is related to the hinges, you MUST use thin CA for the CA hinges, the thin CA is the only one thin enough to penetrate between the hinge and the wood slot in the wing or the stabilizer.

My $0.02
larryoakley is offline Find More Posts by larryoakley
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:34 AM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
495 Posts
Quote:

What do I really need?
Just like larryoakley said, the only place you MUST use thin CA. I also use it to harden the servo mounting screw holes and to fuel proof the engine bay - but i see that you are going electric so that will not apply to you.
The tail section needs epoxy, and that's usually a slow cure 30 minute that you would use there. Not only does it give you more working time, but has a stronger less fragile bond.

and that's my $0.02, so now you have $0.04
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Dec 09, 2014, 12:03 PM
Joined May 2014
216 Posts
T-pin question

When attaching control surfaces, do you remove the T-pin before applying CA? The manual doesn't indicate. A video I watched said to remove T-pin, push the surfaces all the way together, bend the control surface a little, and then apply the CA.
Last edited by seldredge; Dec 17, 2014 at 07:54 PM.