New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: After we get our GWS PBY, what classic boat would you like to see next?
Grumman Goose 92 36.36%
Dornier 18 28 11.07%
Martin M130 China Clipper 23 9.09%
Boeing 314 Dixie Clipper 21 8.30%
Latecoere 631 4 1.58%
Sikorsky 3-38 5 1.98%
Short Singapore III 5 1.98%
Short Sunderland 36 14.23%
Savoia-Marchetti SM.55 12 4.74%
Beriev MBR2 6 2.37%
*other 21 8.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by LedKitty
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
Poll
Classic flying boats (NOT floatplanes)! A new avenue for GWS?

About that poll. What were are asking about is flying boats (not float planes!) from between 1920 and 1940. The "*other" option is for aircraft not on that list but still fall into the caterogy we're talking about. If for you, "other" means "Harrier jumpjet on floats", then you are invalidating a useful tool for us to figure out where best to put our efforts. If you do want a harrier jumpjet on floats, that's fine, but please start your own thread for it. ^_~

Hi guys,

It does seem that things have gotten a little quiet over at the GWS Skunkworks, so I figured I'd toss this one out there and see if there is any merit to my idea.

Now we've heard "My favourite warbird is <blah> and I think GWS should build it!" a million times and of course it will take forever for everyone to be satisfied because there are so many possibilities and opinions out there.

So what I'm proposing is in fact a line of planes (yes, I hear all you WW1 types clearing your throats), the likes of which has not been done by any one manufacturer yet, and one which I think the graceful lines and nature of the subjects involved would lend themselves particularly well to foam treatment care of GWS.

I think a line of inter-war flying boats would be a dream for many flyers, evoking the golden and dare I say romantic era of aviation. I may be dreaming, but all I know is dreams can't come true if you don't put them out there! Mr. Lin himself once confided in me a similar love of flying boats and it has been bugging me ever since why GWS didn't run with that love, and with that dream.

There are some subjects I'm leaving off this list, but I think the classics below would be a very good start. Very nice lines and as far as I know, no foamy ARFs of these available on the market. Trailblazing people! Trailblazing!

Who knows, maybe I'm crazy and only kookie nostalgics like myself have any interest in things like this, but my guts tells me I'm not alone

Cheers!

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Last edited by LedKitty; Aug 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by planekiller
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
I like them all but I love the Grumman Goose. I'll bet it would fly great.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,455 Posts
I believe by using a lot of the oarts from GWS exist aiplanes, you can modify them to be many different type of Sea planes.

Let's go and get them done!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
"You can modify them" as in US? I brought this up as a suggesiton for GWS to make some money while making flyers happy at the same time. If GWS isn't interesting in investing a little time and effort into something that will surely reap benefits if done properly, then this thread dies here...

I keep trying to throw GWS a bone, but it seems like futile endeavours.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:43 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,455 Posts
Do you remember that I had posted some time ago of GWS ABN12?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=abn12

ABN12=A10+BN2

Yet, Taiwan's friend made her to be amphibiam with EDF!!!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
Yes, very nice, but how is that a classic inter-war flying boat? I'm not talking about your customers kitbashing made up things together, I'm talking about GWS producing classics like the Grumman Goose, the China Clipper, etc. to make money and give people something they'll want to own and fly.

Is there still an R&D department at GWS? Or is that gone now? Is it all about re-licensing moderate to poor SIG kits and telling customers to go build their own planes? Surely you won't make sales if you don't make things to sell.

I'm currently finishing off a GWS-38 right now, and while it's very very nice, I get the sad feeling this will be the last GWS kit I own, because I look down the tunnel to see what's coming next and I see nothing.

Wouldn't you love to see a Boeing 314 made by GWS? Or a Sikorsky S-42? I know I would and I'm sure I'm not alone. Not expensive EDF planes that no one can afford or want, I'm talking back to basics. Foam and flying boats go together like ham and eggs.

If GWS isn't interested in creating captivating and charismatic planes like these, what are they interested in?

Telling us to go make our own planes to me is GWS telling us they don't want to do business, they don't want to make money and make people happy by giving them what they want. If not this, then something, anything...

K.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:53 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,455 Posts
Make GWS BN2 to be an amphibian.

Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
You're not reading my posts at all, are you? Where's Chen? Perhaps he can explain it better: CLASSIC FLYING BOATS. Like 1930-1940ish. A Frankenstein BN-2 is not one of those... Besides, are you going to sell *that* as a kit? No. Right? What is GWS doing now? It looks like absolutely nothing to me. I really hate bashing you guys but it's getting ridiculous.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:57 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,455 Posts
Also there are many other sucessful examples:

Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,809 Posts
Hi LedKitty,

I'd believe that boss was trying to tell you that kitbashing could be antoher way to build something different or what you'd really like to have before we release the new birds. You'd be glad to know that besides of those EDF jets and rebranding SIG ones, GWS is trying to release Beaver II and another bipes, though these might take more days.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
Mr. Lin, Please Read My Posts. I Am Talking About An Opportunity For Gws. You Are Not Listening. Thanks Chen. That's something at least. Maybe not enough to keep me in the fan club in terms of new and interesting things, but I guess time will tell...
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,455 Posts
Slow Stick also very easy to be converted as an amphibian as well.

Yet, with some classic taste!

Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by Vyceroy
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,848 Posts
I love my flying boats and would like to see GWS redeem itself by making something along those lines .. cant do any worse than the J-10
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:04 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,711 Posts
Yes, but a converted SlowStick is not a classic flying boat from the golden age of aviation. This is kind of like bashing my head against a brick wall. There's just no getting through.

If I wanted to build something myself I would do so, and am.

I'm sorry I brought this up at all. I'm done here unless by some miracle common sense gets injected here somewhere.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:05 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,455 Posts
Is this the the kind you were talking about?