Find More Posts by FlightIdle
if it flies....
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Discussion
Gasser fuel tank setup

Hi,

Is the fuel tank level (relative to the carby) important on a 50cc gasser? I got hold of an el cheapo edge 540 kit in a swap deal and the instructions don't mention tank installation at all and if mounted it on the floor of the model would be approx 2" below the carby level. I had previously owned an Extra 260 which from memory had the tank and the carby at the same level which prompts me to ask the question.

Any advice appreciated.
FlightIdle is offline Find More Posts by FlightIdle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by jetmech05
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,618 Posts
Nope, the carb on a gasser is different than glow. Gassers carbs are pumped. Plus you can run a t fitting one end to the carb the other to the tank. When you fuel you won't flood the engine.
Remember you need tygon fuel lines, a tank stopper for gas. And a vent line to the outside of the aircraft
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by jetmech05
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,618 Posts
Forgot to mention the vent line exits the tank runs on top of the tank makes a loop then exits the aircraft
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 14, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
3,137 Posts
Maybe worth mention as well, is the location of the tank, because we have a pretty effective fuel pump, can be on or near the plane's CG. This make a lot of room in front available, as well as no more concern regarding in flight CG changes as the fuel is burned off.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by grosbeak
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
2,268 Posts
Here's how I set mine up.

I also filter the fuel coming out of my jug.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Oct 14, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
Textbook setup pictured above. While the location is not super critical the height does have some small affect. I always mount my tank above the carb. Two reasons for this, first it makes it much easier to draw fuel to the carb on that initial start and all following first starts of the day if you like to drain the tank after a flying session. Secondly most gassers will go slightly rich when inverted. While inverted my tank is now below the carb and helps slightly with keeping the mixture consistant.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by wuest3141
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,344 Posts
Most gas engines have Walbro pumping carburetors, and it doesn't matter where you place the tank (up-down, near or far from the engine).

Saito FG 4-cycle engines DON'T have this type of pumping carb, nor the OS 15cc engines. Stick with engines that have Walbro pumping carbs, and you will have no fuel feed problems.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141