HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:16 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
645 Posts
I found that I have not been getting 5v on the parallel port on my NT system.

I have been getting 3.1v, but using a voltmeter, I could see the level switch from hi/low and back when triggering the cooresponding jog command in Mach3.

Now in order to get the 5v level, I set the parallel port to EPP in the BIOS. That does seem to make the hi level 5v, but Mach3 no longer commands the hi-low switch on any of the pins.

Would I need to reinstall Mach 3 and the driver after switching the EPP setting?
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I found that I have not been getting 5v on the parallel port on my NT system.

I have been getting 3.1v, but using a voltmeter, I could see the level switch from hi/low and back when triggering the cooresponding jog command in Mach3.

Now in order to get the 5v level, I set the parallel port to EPP in the BIOS. That does seem to make the hi level 5v, but Mach3 no longer commands the hi-low switch on any of the pins.

Would I need to reinstall Mach 3 and the driver after switching the EPP setting?
I tried reinstalling Mach 3, it didn't seem to help..
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:58 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
22,681 Posts
I got nothin - still working out which pins do what here

Sry.

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:34 AM
Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil
Joined Dec 1996
31 Posts
Whats your board ?

rds
Rogerio Brandao Destito is offline Find More Posts by Rogerio Brandao Destito
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Jun 2009
22,681 Posts
Mine... or Big Johns?

I'm running a Hobby CNC 4AUPC Rev 0 board...

BJ
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
22,681 Posts
Still having a problem setting up Mach3 so that it goes to the same place on X/Y and A/B every time when I tell it to "go home".

I'm not running any cut-off switches etc, but I'd like to be able to square-up the horizontal and vertical axes up correctly once at a given point on the cutter - then call this place "home" (somewhere in the software?).

I plan to use some aluminium strips to border-in a little 'cradle' on the cutting floor so that my foam blocks will always be in the same place relative to the cutter..

So when I'm ready to start my next cut, I press 'home' on the Mach1 screen and the axes got back to that point, ready to cut something new that is already sitting in the same spot as where the previous block of foam was...

BJ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:10 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,455 Posts
BJ,

The machine may be loosing some steps, is there a function in Mach3 to account for lost steps? GMFC had a function in it to account for lost steps from the machine having some loose tolerances.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Jun 2009
22,681 Posts
Don't think is has a lot to do with 'lost steps' so far, AirX - I still need to find a way to tell it where "home" is to start with.

I saw a vid that tried to explain 'machine co-ordinates' versus 'software co-ordinates'.

Apparently, there's some settings somwhere that you can dial in so that Mach3 always remembers where it's 'base' readings relate to. (excepting 'lost steps', of course). Something to do with the different co-ordinate systems.

As I said before, I have no hard axis cut-off switches, but I get the feeling that I may be able to emulate that kind of thing via software. Maximum axis movement kind of thing - but it still needs a software 'home' reference IMHO.

Now that I think about it a bit more... without hard-wired limit switches, the software would never be able to know where 'home' is once the computer has been powered-down and turned back on again (??).

Assuming no axis has been moved in any direction between power-off and power-on again, a software solution should still work - the big proviso being that no axis has been manually moved between turning the 'puter off and on again.

I also read that if Mach3 goes past the axis dead-point, it will keep searching in the opposite direction until if finds one.

i.e. I may need axis terminating micro-switches at each end of each axis?

That would mean 8 limit switches in total (each end of X/Y = 4 + each end of A/B = 4 . Total = 8)

I don't have an issue with that, as I can get the switches pretty easily and they won't cost the earth - but then I have to deal with trying to tell the controller-board which pin = which switch yadda yadda yadda.

Was hoping that there's a fairly reliable software solution...

BJ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:42 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
865 Posts
try clicking on zero X Y A B then type in
G0X200Y200A200B200
G0X150Y150A150B150
then click home and see if it go to o,o,o,o

some times when it is going away from you it will go to limit switch then go back home
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:19 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,180 Posts
BJ,
Does this help page 11 et. seq.?
ftp://machsupport.com/Docs/Mach3%20Setup%20Tutorial.pdf
please let me know how you get on I am about a month off this.
Chris

P.s give the link a bit of time it's quite slow
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Last edited by Fubar 123; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
22,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot View Post
try clicking on zero X Y A B then type in
G0X200Y200A200B200
G0X150Y150A150B150
then click home and see if it go to o,o,o,o

some times when it is going away from you it will go to limit switch then go back home
Yes - that's what I'm worried about.

From what I understand, if it's already past home when you hit the 'home' switch', it will keep going in the other direction until it either finds a limit switch, or crashes that axis

And since I don't have any limit switches, it's the crashing bit that I'm concerned about.

And thanks Fubar for the link

I think I may already have that Tutorial....

BJ
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Yes - that's what I'm worried about.

From what I understand, if it's already past home when you hit the 'home' switch', it will keep going in the other direction until it either finds a limit switch, or crashes that axis

And since I don't have any limit switches, it's the crashing bit that I'm concerned about.

And thanks Fubar for the link

I think I may already have that Tutorial....

BJ
As I understand it BJ the home switch on the different axes are placed near to the end of travel, and you define within Mach3 which direction the axes are going to travel to reach those home switches [within the set up], when they are reached the motors will stop and then reverse to take the axis off it's switch and then stop. Then it will home on the next defined axis, eventually when the 4 axis have been homed the machine can then go on and be programmed to work between the home switches and the limit switches.I have not looked hard enough yet to find out if their are defineable software limits yet.
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Last edited by Fubar 123; Feb 06, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:20 PM
Ogden, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2000
190 Posts
I'm running a 3 axis BluMax CNC Router/Mill and I don't have any limit switches As long as I home the 3 axises before starting it has always returned to home. If I have to do an emergency stop, then I need to issue a G28 command to return home.

I was actually looking at possibly purchasing Mach3 but for now I'm using EMC2 V2.4. It's going to be interesting to see what the final solution is to this problem.
SteveB is offline Find More Posts by SteveB
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
22,681 Posts
That's just it!

I'm trying to define where "HOME" is... and I don't have any limit switches...

BJ
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:10 AM
White Hat and Proud
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Hi BJ,

Without limit switches, for me each mach3 session I just use MDI interface with the G0 X0 Y0 Z(home height) and use the repeat (Up Arrow) to replay when I need Home.. The software I use will always home anyway.

Andy
cncworkbench is offline Find More Posts by cncworkbench