Find More Posts by mhmitchell
Opus
Quincy,Florida
Joined Dec 2002
432 Posts
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
I have grown to feel sorry for Mike AKA et.al. But the chip on his shoulder is so huge.
I’m done here, moving on.

David
I told you in the beginning I have a chip on my shoulder but its epoxied on.
Sorry to see you go but the thread is done anyway unless questions happen.
mhmitchell is offline Find More Posts by mhmitchell
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by mhmitchell
Opus
Quincy,Florida
Joined Dec 2002
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
The personality clashes and technician vs engineer bigotry are sort of entertaining but if you're not going to discuss anything to do with radios should we get this thread moved to one of the off-topic forums ?

Steve
BTW "grammer" is spelled grammar....sorry but I just can't help chuckling when someone edits his post to add a spelling mistake .
oops

No need Engineers are OK in my book Just people.
mhmitchell is offline Find More Posts by mhmitchell
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Squinton
Joined Mar 2014
460 Posts
Hello people,

I have been warned that using a simulator connected to my xmitter directly could cause static and damage the xmitter (specifically Graupner transmitters). I got an anti-static wrist band, but my computer is a laptop and i only see screws in deep holes on the base...no other visible metal.

I have read somewhere that simply connecting the wristband croc clip to a piece of metal in the room will work, that doesn't sound very logical, any suggestions?

Cheers!
Squinton is offline Find More Posts by Squinton
Old Aug 22, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by Rhea
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,518 Posts
If you think there is any reason why you should ground the wrist band at all you could ground it to a piece of metal that would itself be grounded. A water pipe would be an example but I don't see any reason to do so.

BTW, can you remember where you read that and in what circumstance that may have been?
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Aug 22, 2015, 03:27 PM
Joined Mar 2014
460 Posts
Quote:
If you think there is any reason why you should ground the wrist band at all you could ground it to a piece of metal that would itself be grounded. A water pipe would be an example but I don't see any reason to do so.

BTW, can you remember where you read that and in what circumstance that may have been?
http://www.graupner.de/mediaroot/fil..._simulator.pdf

From the manual...
Old Aug 22, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by Rhea
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,518 Posts
The important thing when connecting two pieces of sensitive electronic equipment is to get them both to the same static potential—that is zero volts differential—before they are connected together. Once they are connected there should be no static differential generated.
Because you don’t have exposed metal parts in a laptop like you would with a desktop PC it is more difficult.
You should be able to get to the metal shell on a USB connector. It registers continuity with my ohmmeter to the case on my PC. I would suggest that if you want to reduce the risk of static discharge you would touch the USB shell with one finger and the connector from the Tx with another finger simultaneously. Hold both metal parts for a few seconds and everything will come to the same potential. Then complete the connection of the two devices and everything should be good.
NOTE: If you want to be somewhat certain that you are at a safe static potential you may want to first ground yourself with the wrist strap connected to a water pipe first.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Aug 23, 2015, 04:42 AM
Joined Mar 2014
460 Posts
Quote:
The important thing when connecting two pieces of sensitive electronic equipment is to get them both to the same static potentialóthat is zero volts differentialóbefore they are connected together. Once they are connected there should be no static differential generated.
Because you donít have exposed metal parts in a laptop like you would with a desktop PC it is more difficult.
You should be able to get to the metal shell on a USB connector. It registers continuity with my ohmmeter to the case on my PC. I would suggest that if you want to reduce the risk of static discharge you would touch the USB shell with one finger and the connector from the Tx with another finger simultaneously. Hold both metal parts for a few seconds and everything will come to the same potential. Then complete the connection of the two devices and everything should be good.
NOTE: If you want to be somewhat certain that you are at a safe static potential you may want to first ground yourself with the wrist strap connected to a water pipe first.
Thank you.

My cd drive doesn't work, so i just ejected it and clipped on to the thin metal in there. 3 hours of simulating last night no issue!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 07:02 AM
Joined Mar 2014
460 Posts
Quote:
The important thing when connecting two pieces of sensitive electronic equipment is to get them both to the same static potentialóthat is zero volts differentialóbefore they are connected together. Once they are connected there should be no static differential generated.
Because you donít have exposed metal parts in a laptop like you would with a desktop PC it is more difficult.
Sorry, one question. If you can discharge static by simply touching a metal water pipe. If i have my anti-stat wrist band clipped onto a big metal cabinet that's on the floor, no electrical connections in it, will that work. That doesn't seem like it will equalize any built up charge during use though, my electrical knowledge is basic...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Perpetual Noob
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
139 Posts
Apples and watermelons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinton View Post
Sorry, one question. If you can discharge static by simply touching a metal water pipe. If i have my anti-stat wrist band clipped onto a big metal cabinet that's on the floor, no electrical connections in it, will that work. That doesn't seem like it will equalize any built up charge during use though, my electrical knowledge is basic...
The radio is connected to the same earth or ground the computer uses through the connecting cable. Those are the apples. The watermelon in this is your use of the grounding strap. It has no connection to the radio and its only purpose is to remove any static electricity buildup you may have in your body.

Generally, touching an exposed metal object that also is connected to earth or ground will discharge any buildup you may have if you touch it shortly before picking up the transmitter and using the simulator. The metal file cabinets you mention would not necessarily provide the discharge path to remove the static buildup in your body.
BoxCar31 is online now Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2014
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31 View Post
The radio is connected to the same earth or ground the computer uses through the connecting cable. Those are the apples. The watermelon in this is your use of the grounding strap. It has no connection to the radio and its only purpose is to remove any static electricity buildup you may have in your body.

Generally, touching an exposed metal object that also is connected to earth or ground will discharge any buildup you may have if you touch it shortly before picking up the transmitter and using the simulator. The metal file cabinets you mention would not necessarily provide the discharge path to remove the static buildup in your body.
Thank you for describing that so well!