New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by farginicehole
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Discussion
Modellbau Wanitschek LS-1

I have an old unfinished LS-1 sailplane kit that I inherited years ago from my grandfather. The wings are almost complete and ready to cover, as are the tail surfaces. It has a fiberglass fuselage, which he also did some work on. He extended each wing by approximately 11". These extensions are a blue foam core, with the balsa leading edge sheeting and the balsa trailing edge extending from the stock wings all the way to the balsa tip. He added false rib caps to the foam, I assume for the same look as the rest of the wing after covering. Does anyone have one of these, or know anything about them?
farginicehole is offline Find More Posts by farginicehole
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
(subscribing to thread)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,461 Posts
Pictures man! Pictures!
But get that Chrysalis done first!

Joe

Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by John Cole
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,163 Posts
LS-1 catalog info

Fargin, here's what I have. At least you can see what it looked like as a kit..

Price new; $75.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:47 AM
Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
I too have my grandfathers LS-1 as well. We flew it up to the late 90's. Sorry it is stock standard. I still have the model (it has seen better days) I do have the plan from the kit and all the temples as my grandfather always traced the kit componts before building. He now I also kept the cover from the kit box. I will look to see if I have the kit instructions as well. I will look tomorrow for what I have

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:37 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Thanks, John! Yep, that's it. I'm pretty sure everything is still there - - box, plans, instructions, etc., but I haven't dug into it much yet. 1975?! I didn't realize it was THAT old. The span on his/mine will be around 122". Pete, is it possible we are cousins?? My grandpa even went as far as actually tracing and then cutting his own wing ribs instead of using the die cut (I think he called them "die smashed") ones that came with a lot of kits of that era. He really wanted accurate parts for strong wings. I think he would have been impressed with how far they have come with the laser cutting in quality kits these days.

I also managed to snag an old Graupner Cirrus fuselage & tail feathers from his collection, but I don't have wings for it. . . I do have a set of plans though. Not sure if I'll ever get around to that or not. I do remember him having another fairly large (for the time) "scale" sailplane, I think I remember him calling it a Nimbus? It was not a t-tail, but I remember it having kind of a tall tail fin/rudder. Seems like that one had 11 or 12 foot wingspan, but again, I expect he probably extended the wings from the stock kit. I also have a Piper Cub that he built with floats and a 4-stroke motor several years after he stopped flying sailplanes (don't think he had a place to do it, and most of his buddies were too old to fly or had passed away). I think he pretty much did the Howard Hughes routine with that one. Taxied it around quite a bit, then lifted off the water 5 or 10 feet, got scared and put it back down. That model is complete, but the Monokote is coming loose in spots on the fuse and it needs some repairs and updating to more modern equipment.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Now that I do a search for the full-scale Nimbus, I see an SB 7, which is a t-tail. I think he had one of those, so now I'm wondering what that other one was with the tall conventional tail setup.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
I found it!! I remember him calling it a "K3". . . Fokker?

I found this thread through Google, and this is definitely the one. I may have to get in touch with my uncle. . . it's possible that he might even have this plane stashed up in his garage.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490368
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
farginicehole I dont know about cousin but I did do my senior year in Detroit Michigan. Is that good enought. I bet our grandfathers were from the same era.

I have attached some picture of mine (grandfather's) it has been sitting in the back of the shed for years. It's flying days are well and truly behind it. My grandfather brought it in around 76 or 7 it was his pride and joy. He would have put 100's hour on it before he let me get on the sticks. I must say it has a inpact on the ttpe of glider I still love today. I would love to resurrect a LS-1 or even increase the side if I could get some good fuselage drawing. I love the moden gliders but my glider choice definately is stuck in the 70's.
It is just standard wing of about 113". Sorry I can't say I am much help with your LS-1

Pete
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics! So why won't you fly it? It must be from a different kit than mine, as I think mine has 98" span in the stock form. All of my grandpa's sailplanes were white. . . once in a while he'd get CRAZY and make the spoilers and maybe the rudder orange.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:11 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
I went to refurbish her a few years ago and well her flying days are done. The fuselage has may cracks in the tail and and become very brittle. The wings balsa is also very brittle. I have been keeping my eye out for one but none have come up for sale. In the photo's it does look ok but in reality she is gone.
I have picked up some good sailplane kit over the year as what I classify as classic become obsolete in the sailplane groups. So the performance is down on something (everything)
I fly compared to the modern stuff but that's not the point of why I fly them. Good luck mate
Pete
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:26 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
That's too bad. I question the integrity of the old, never-been-covered wings on my LS 1 too. They seem okay, but who knows?? The old CA glue joints in particular worry me.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:12 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Finally some photos

Sorry it took me so long! These aren't very good quality, taken from my phone, but they'll give you an idea what it looks like.