SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 01, 2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,291 Posts
You might be correct.
At the height of the 2212/06's popularity it was sold by a number of outlets such as Suppo, GraysonHobby, RC Timer etc. and a number are still available cheaply especially on Ebay.They are almost identical in appearance to each other. I'd even go as far as to say that they probably came out of the same factory or from one that copied the original design (the Chinese copying something ,what a surprise!) The guy who used to own the UK Giant Shark site used to visit the Chinese factories and buy direct. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't see a selection of different labels ready to be slapped onto the exact same motors.
You only have to look at some of Dr Kiwi's motor test posts to realise that three identical specced motors can have wildly different kv rating and performance when tested. The difference between the best and the worse probably comes down the quality of the wind, magnets and bearings used. I imagine that the likes of Grayson demanded A spec motors i.e. guaranteed kv rating and good quality winding and bearings. This enabled their motor to be run at the extreme end of the performance available without burning up or frying other components.
Maybe Mystery buy inferior copies or B/C grade motors. Either way, a model using an underperforming motor is carrying underproductive weight. Would be interesting putting a wattmeter on the motor and compare the numbers against a quality brand. Higher amp draw might reveal that it's more like a 2800kv unit.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by deuxchevaux
Malcolm M.
United States, ID, Twin Falls
Joined Sep 2005
237 Posts
Normally the specs of that motor are more like this. I was only going by the specs. from the Amazon listing the OP provided, which could be totally bogus. Headless and Andy probably have experience with that Mystery motor, hence their ready responses; I do not. I know for a fact Headless and Andy are more experienced in these matters than myself in general.

Maybe this one is a de-tuned version for reduced labor costs, or a knockoff of a knockoff.
deuxchevaux is offline Find More Posts by deuxchevaux
Old Aug 02, 2015, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,291 Posts
Here's an interesting post for you to read
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222366
Basically, if you have two brushless motors of the same weight and kv and one is claiming to be rated at 75 watts more than the other one then someone's telling porkie pies.
Motors can be pushed briefly past their stated specs provided they are well cooled and it's only a quick burst of WOT. Manufacturers can't always be trusted and some are either mistakes or a work of pure fiction. Punters reviews aren't, at times, any better. I tend to take an average view of prop and amp data.
Then again some motors are under specced by the vendor/manufacturer. The 3000kv pole and stator motors like this state 2s maximum
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...or_3000kv.html
I and 2 other flyers have been using that motor on 3s on an up to a 4.75 x 4.75 prop for a few years. They are on pusher flying wings with plenty of cooling and run at WOT most of the time. Zero failures to date. Here's my scratch built mini wing in action
Mini Wing KFm-4. 610 span. Shot with #16 HD Keycam (2 min 20 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by leakywellie
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Synapse test flight

Well I finally got to test fly my synapse. Not too successful, on the first try even though I had the cg at the 6 to 7 inch mark it was so tail heavy it dropped like a brick. Under power it went nose straight up. I think I might have built in a warp or something because it should have flown with that cg. Oh well it is my first attempt at a foamy.
Anyway I moved my lipo forward and did a few hand tosses to check and it seemed much better so gave it another go. Once launched I got it under control quite quickly. However I was checking out how it flew with power off ready for my first landing and got distracted by my flying buddy and tip stalled it from 15 feet. Ouch ! Destroyed two cheapo servos and mashed the nose. No biggie, I've made a new fuse and will get some stronger servos because in the short time I flew it I liked the way it flew.
Thanks to Ed at EA for the design work and videos
Cheers
Peter
leakywellie is offline Find More Posts by leakywellie
Last edited by leakywellie; Aug 04, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2015, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by Shawn Rolison
Search49
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
The Axon Plus - A modified version of the Axon

The Axon by Ed at E.A. is a great little plane. But sometimes you need something with a little more meat. I needed something that was strong, larger, and something with more accesible space. So I redesigned the Axon. The Axon Plus is the bigger sister of the Axon. I have pasted a link to my Youtube video below. Please feel free to let me know what you think about the Plus.

Thanks

The Axon Plus - A Modified Version of the Experimental Airlines Axon (15 min 40 sec)
Shawn Rolison is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Rolison
Old Aug 08, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Joined May 2012
183 Posts
Hi Shawn
1. Are you using the original armin wing? Seems like you added a fair amount of weight.
2. It might have been stronger if double sides were on inside.
The notching is from Flight test guys I believe. Do not know who did it first but they do it on almost all builds. Nice video have fun.
IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Aug 08, 2015, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by Shawn Rolison
Search49
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
I am using the original Armin wing. And I really didn't add much more weight. The fold over walls and the battery hatch are the only added weight. Total weight added is approx 52 grams. This includes the extra foam for the double wall, the battery hatch and the two pieces for the landing skids. I looked at putting the walls on the inside, it was 6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other.

As for the wing, I stuck with the Armin wing. However in the video if you look, there are atleast 3 different wings. One was a 10" Cord with Ailerons, One was a 7" cord Ailerons and Flaps , Another was with a 7" cord and Wing tip stablizers. I really didn't like the performance with the Wing Tip stablizers. Handling was real sloppy on turns.
Shawn Rolison is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Rolison
Old Aug 08, 2015, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by anewton
Whoa……it flies
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2007
344 Posts
Excellent design mods Shawn. Looks like a tough and practical fuselage.
anewton is offline Find More Posts by anewton
Old Aug 09, 2015, 07:17 PM
7AC
Find More Posts by 7AC
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
416 Posts
Axon Air to Air

Here is some more Air to Air footage of my friend Bob's Experimental Airlines Axon in flight
Following Bob Redux (2 min 31 sec)
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC