SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by Larrikin
Everything's A Compromise
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Fuselage release

So the first one is out.

There was minor resistance on one side at the wing root but with some gentle perseverance, it released without incident. Always a relief when it's your mould, but it's almost a religious experience when it's a borrowed one.

You can hear with each attempt at release, there's a crack or a tick to confirm that it's still slowly coming out.

David

ASW22build2 (4 min 24 sec)
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Rubicon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
771 Posts
Another 1:4 scale ASW22 build:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...te-Fliegerland)
Lots of pictures with construction details.

/Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by swarrans
Joined Nov 2008
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
So the first one is out.

There was minor resistance on one side at the wing root but with some gentle perseverance, it released without incident. Always a relief when it's your mould, but it's almost a religious experience when it's a borrowed one.

You can hear with each attempt at release, there's a crack or a tick to confirm that it's still slowly coming out.

David
Brilliant stuff David - looks fabulous. I built a 40% ASG29 from scratch, but not from moulds and I might be tempted to make a mould from the fuselage just for the hell of it!

Simon
swarrans is offline Find More Posts by swarrans
Old Jun 10, 2015, 01:59 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner View Post
Another 1:4 scale ASW22 build:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...te-Fliegerland)
Lots of pictures with construction details.

/Bernd
Thanks Bernd, that's a great thread. I understand that the wing dihedral is lower when it's on the ground but it increases greatly when in the air. I think Reiner's 22 dihedral is too low.
Still a great model

Thanks

David
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Larrikin; Jun 10, 2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 02:01 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarrans View Post
Brilliant stuff David - looks fabulous. I built a 40% ASG29 from scratch, but not from moulds and I might be tempted to make a mould from the fuselage just for the hell of it!

Simon
40% ... YIKES
That's a lot of building
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Rubicon
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:32 AM
yyz
Find More Posts by yyz
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
So the first one is out.

David

https://youtu.be/V3QRNCLy8TA
Super nice, David. Not quite as clean as yours but here's its big (1:3) brother right out of the mold.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by rjtw
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Feb 2012
228 Posts
Hi David,
Fantastic work! The fuselage looks super clean!

I'm always curious about the joining step. Once you trim each half in the mold, what are the steps you take to join them together? Do you have a layer of glass on the seam, and how do you get it in there... or do you add something later once out of the mold?

Great work, following with interest!
Rick
rjtw is offline Find More Posts by rjtw
Old Jun 10, 2015, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,855 Posts
@ Mike
If money was no object, I'd have one of THESE.

33% = awesome.
I'm jealous ... or envious ... or both

@ Rick
To join, I started by scuffing the join line areas on the fuselage with course sandpaper ... about 25mm in from the join line.
I placed a 1700mm x 300mm (5.5' x 1') cutting board (MDF off cut) on the bench. Then I taped an equal length of freezer film (ff) onto the cutting board.
The fibreglass (fg) that I used is the same as the front of the fuselage, 295gsm and the weave is oriented at 45/45.
Using masking tape, I mask a rectangle on the fg about 150mm (6") wide and 1400 (55") long and cut it out with scissors along the centre of the masking tape. So now there's a rectangle of fg with the weave at 45/45.

Here's the sticky bit. Place the fg rectangle onto the ff. Mix a batch of your favourite resin and a bit of colloidal silica and brush the scuffed areas on the fuselage halves and wet out the rectangle of fg.

Place another layer of ff over the top. With a Sharpie, mark two strips at 35mm (1.5") wide and two strips at 25mm (1") wide, align a straight-edge and cut with a rotary knife. They're not cheap but once you've used one, you'll never go back. So now there's 4 x strips of wet fg at 45/45, each sandwiched between ff.

Some builders like to put both of the join fg on the same fuselage mould half but I prefer to oppose the sides. ie a join fg on the bottom of the left mould half and the other join fg on the top of the right mould half. See pic below.
Edit:- To clarify, each join consists of 2 x layers of fg. One at 35mm wide and one at 25mm wide.

With the mould standing on its side (you did make the moulds so that you can do this, right? ) using the widest strip first, peel one side of the ff off and locate the wet fg strip on the scuffed area of the fuselage so that half of the fg is on the scuffed area and the other half is in free space. I placed the fg strip on the bottom join line of the left fuselage half. Now peel off the final ff carrier and brush the fg down onto the scuffed area. Repeat the process with the narrower fg. Again ... half on the mould, half off. Then I did the same to the top of the right fuselage mould half.
So now there is the right fuselage mould half with ~17mm (~3/4") of wet fg above the join line at the top of the fuselage and the left fuselage mould half with ~17mm of wet fg above the join line of the bottom of the fuselage. Are you still awake?

Before bringing the mould halves together, it's a good idea to put a bead of resin and micro balloons, not too thick, along the wet fg. Refer to the green dot in the image. I put some in a sandwich bag, snip the corner of the bag off and "pipe" it into the corner. The bead only needs to be 1.5mm-2mm (1/16") in diameter.

Bring the moulds together with side slipping motion (see image) and secure.
With a torch/flashlight and a long rod, roll the join fg onto its opposing side.
Of course, where the fuselage is open at the cockpit area, you can use a brush.

The leading edge of the fin is a "bog" join, just as it's done with a moulded wing.
I'll get a photo and post it at some point in the future.

Did this help? It may sound far more complicated than it really is.

David
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Larrikin; Jun 10, 2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 11, 2015, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by rjtw
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Feb 2012
228 Posts
Ingenious technique! I think I got it :-) Thanks for sharing!!
rjtw is offline Find More Posts by rjtw
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by James Brand
United Kingdom, Devon
Joined Nov 2014
132 Posts
microsoft paint, my favorite design tool! ha, exelent.
James Brand is offline Find More Posts by James Brand