HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
New Product
Ultrafly Yak 54 build/fly log

I just received my new 47" Ultrafly Yak 54. I am very interested to see how this airplane stacks up compared to all of the current Yak offerings available on the market today. After much consideration I was just too curios how the thick airfoil was going to perform at low speeds. I am also going to use the reccommended high power set-up from Ultrafly as well.

My first impression when I opened the box was favorable. Everything was packaged as usual with plastic covering all of the parts. Upon further inspection I was pleasantly surprised to see how the fuselage was not quite as large around as the others. I was also surprised to see how thick the airfoil was too. It is 1.7 inches thick! It almost look like a real Yaks thick wing.

Here are the first set of pictures with more to come shortly.
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:41 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Just a quick mock-up shot of the NEW ULTRAFLY Yak 54. It is just a fraction smaller compared to the others but a bit more slender. It looks really good and the quality is nice too!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
After a little bit of construction I took a few shots of certain parts like the wing, rudder, and others. The construction is very straightforward. It is typical of any of the arfs that are available on the market. The one thing that I did like an awful lot is the fact that an HS-65 dropped right in without any filing neccessary. This is another airplane that builds very easy and I should be able to fly this evening.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
After a little more construction
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:42 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Where did you pick this one up at? It's the first I've heard of it.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
You can get them through MRC

Here: http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=7811

Keith
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemituda
After a little bit of construction I took a few shots of certain parts like the wing, rudder, and others. The construction is very straightforward. It is typical of any of the arfs that are available on the market. The one thing that I did like an awful lot is the fact that an HS-65 dropped right in without any filing neccessary. This is another airplane that builds very easy and I should be able to fly this evening.

surprised by the 55's in the ail's --I would expect at least a 56.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean but it is all I had and Ultrafly said they tested with the equivalent and said I only needed 65s in the tail.

Hard to get a forward cg without adding ballast. I am gonna try it at the aft cg recommendation. AUW ended up at 40.15 oz. Headed to the field with two batteries to give it a shot.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
Even the 1.2M Ultrafly FW-190 called for Micro Servos. As I has 81's on hand, I opened up the tray/wing and used them.

Got the Black/Red White Yak here as well. It came with the H-12-11 <500W> motor. Is this the one your going to use as well?

Typical Ultrafly, drum tight covering and packed VERY well, very well thought out model to ship.

Good Luck!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:17 AM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Maiden complete!

My first impression is NICE! This plane flys really good. Tracks like a pattern ship (slender profile no doubt helps). Was pretty windy so getting a good feel for hover was a bit hard to read. Harrier was pretty solid. Slow flight was fantastic. At times it seems like you are flying a CUB. Loops both inside and out are very smooth with no rudder corrections nec. Rolls are very quick and straight. The H-12-11 Ultrafly motor has more than ample power with the recommended 11x5.5 prop. C.g. was fine even at the aft location. I was pleasantly surprised when I cut the power on final approach and had to go around because I overshot. This thing seems to glide forever. Compared to my other yaks this thing floats long and slow.

Keith
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:35 AM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
462 Posts
Hi Keith: Contrats On Your Maiden!! After Reading Your Thread, I Placed an Order For Mine Today!! What Wattage is the H-12-11 Motor? Happy Flying!! Joe
Yardbee is offline Find More Posts by Yardbee
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Joe,

With the sugg. 11x5.5 prop it was making anywhere in the vicinity of 355-385 watts. I tried with two differnent packs one was a 20 c polyquest 2100 3s and the other was a 16 c impulse 2100 3s. The amp draw was right at 32.2 amps peak. It is a long shafted smooth runnning motor.

I think you will enjoy this plane because I know I am going to.

Keith
Old May 02, 2007, 02:02 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,116 Posts
Keith

Don't let this thread go to waste. Tell us some more about this plane Have you seen any other similar Yak 54s fly or flown any yourself. What do you reckon ? Any more observations about your own ?

I'm sure I found a video from Ultrafly but I've been unable to find even a mention of this plane on their web site now.

Thanks
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old May 02, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdudeuk
I'm sure I found a video from Ultrafly but I've been unable to find even a mention of this plane on their web site now.

Thanks
"Ultraflys" web site was built/desogned/maintained by Hobbico <Tower Hobbies>. With MRC as Ultraflys new USA Dist you will NOT find any of the new Ultrafly planes on it.

I am to understand Ultrafly will have a new website soon.

Just blew out my knee at work and have 1/2 a mind to put mine together. In all honestly I could not make a fair comparision <Yak wise> as I'm a sport, not pattern 3D flyer.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old May 02, 2007, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Net Dude,

I refuse to let this thread go to waste. I just have been a bit busy as of late but am now starting to get back in the swing.

I only have about 4 flights on her. It flys real nice. I havent really got a chance to wring it out yet. As far as precision type flying it is rock solid smooth. Glide ratio is second to none. Slow flight seems good too but didn't try to much 3d type of stuff. I tried a quick upright harrier or two and it seems more stable than my hyperion Yak 55 25e. My only bone of contention is that the forward cg range is hard to achieve with a 2100 3s 11.1. I might try to make a rudder servo mount so I can make it a pull-pull system.

This is a nice airplane that flys good. I would highly recommend it over the Great Planes version. The jury is still out over the EF and Hyperion counterparts. Need more time.

Keith