HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:37 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Build Log
LongShot 2 DLG Build

I've owned an Alula and built plenty of depron-based DLGs, but wanted to step up to the next level and get a brand new DLG.

After weighing out many things such as cost, performance, workmanship, durability etc, I finally decided on the Longshot2.
*Edit*
After the color and pod material mix-up I finally got around to emailing with Alberto, and as it were, I got my 3rd color choice. Several of the boxes were mis-labeled at the factory as green and contained yellow wings. As for the pod material, I think this is a mix-up with the mfg and i don't believe they will be shipped to the US. At any rate he responded quickly and professionally. I'm happy.
*EDIT* (missed some stuff)

Moving on...

I'm almost done, I just have to balance it out with a bit of lead in the nose. Looks like I'm coming in porky at around 12.2oz. I can easily shave 1.5 oz off of that with a bit of work.

I decided to go ahead and post what I have and will follow up tomorrow with some final finished pics.

I made a few deviations to the stock build as highlighted below. Some I would NOT do over again...LOL:
  • Fixed the rudder to the fin (fixed fin) and omitted the rudder servo and linkage.*MISTAKE* did not thermal as efficiently next one will have operational rudder
  • Glassed the fin and added additional CF reinforcements *MISTAKE* added way too much weight
  • Attached the fin to the boom by slotting the fin (neither boom nor fin were notched.)
  • Potted both aileron servos with epoxy/balloons *MISTAKE*servos were already tight fit, added unnecessary weight
  • Added a 3cm strip of .73oz FG to root joint *MISTAKE* unnecessary added additional weight
  • Added two additional CF patches to TE of wing root *MISTAKE* unnecessary weight, overkill after FG strip on root
  • Added a 2 cm strip of .73oz FG to pod/boom joint *MISTAKE* unnecessary weight & overkill
  • Covered the servo tray with 5oz (?) CF *MISTAKE* unnecessary weight & overkill
  • Omitted the recommended canopy attachment (will use tape) and added a switch jack

**ADDED**To avoid confusion, this is the method I used to attach the pod/boom and tail feathers:

First I bolted on the wing tight without the peg/blade installed.

Next flip it upside down on the floor or bench and let it balance on the tips (why you don't install the blade/peg).

Screw the elevator onto the CF mount. Mark the location where it will go on the boom with a pen or 2 pieces of tape.

Blocking up the tail and rest the horizontal on the blocks (foam sponges, books etc), line it all up and then you lower the boom onto the horizontal mount and med. CA it. This achieves a perfect level alignment with the wing every time.

Lastly align the slotted rudder onto the boom and true it to the horizontal and hit it with CA.

And with this, I'll continue on with pics and more detailed comments on each pic......
Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik
Last edited by Phiber Optik; May 31, 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Updated list of MISTAKES!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:22 AM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Nice job! You're way ahead of me. Thanks for all the detailed info and pics (including the mistakes )

Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:13 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Maidened this evening.

Lots of lead taped to the nose. .75oz...

Went to the high school athletic field down the street to maiden. Conditions were calm...perfect for maidening. Coupla trim tosses and a few clicks of down and hey, I was ready to toss it. I should have stayed home.

First throw:
glitchmeister BlueBird 6ch glitched like hell, rolled over and nose dived right into the running track from 20ft. 50,000 SF of grass, and it has to nose dive right on the tarmac.

Amazingly nothing was broken. The pod wasn't even cracked. Whew!.

Second throw:
Went up nicely. But...hmmm something felt funny.
No elevator control. Zip, nada. Flip flopped down into the grass and a wing hit the chainlink. Discovered my "figure 4" connector had somehow come undone on the first crash. Stupid me, never hit the elevator stick before heaving it again, and could have prevented that one.

Fixed that with some tape.

Finally got in some decent throws and started getting a feel for the plane....in between RX hits...one caused me to lawn dart it hard in the soft grass/dirt. Again the fuse held.

Finally it smoothed out and i had 5 or 6 nice launches and hand catches.

Final Throw:
Then I wound up and gave a mother of a launch and the glitchmeister kicked in again at the very top of the launch down, flip-flopping like a fish with intermitten 1 or 2 secs of control all the way to the ground and right into the one 12 foot section of 3 row aluminum bleacher on that entire side of the football field. Acres of grass around it.

Dented the LE on the left wing and caused some delaming of the glass. Guess I have to fix that now. And add more weight to an already heavy fat pig DLG.

Right about now, my temper is flaring (still is 2 hours later) and I'm within one inch of bashing this whole plane into splinters on the chain link fence railing like a guitar in a bad imitation of a Pete Townsend concert.

I just ordered a Berg 7 a moment ago and will enjoy taking a ball peen hammer to this RX in the drive way. I wouldn't even use it in an EPP foamie, just on principle. It's getting obliterated by my hand.

What was I thinking using a $19.50 RX in a $280 plane.

In 10 or 12 launches, I just bashed this brand new plane through more abuse than it should have seen in two seasons. I never "crashed" the damned thing once.

I know, I should have quit at the first glitch and went home. Believe me, I know....
Last edited by Phiber Optik; Mar 28, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: removed my little censored emoticons-I'm obviously mad
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:28 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Oh man, that's always a bummer when a maiden doesn't go right, but don't do a Pete Townsend! I can't tell you how many times I've regretted taking out my anger on damaged planes.

And you should see the flights some of the guys get around here with some heavy, salvaged and repaired planes. It'll still fly, and it'll be fun. Don't forget you can always make a lighter balsa rudder and take some weight out of the nose.

Anyway, I'm sorry it wasn't a great maiden but hang in there, you'll get it going!

Duncan
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:48 PM
trying to kick the habit
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2006
1,397 Posts
After you noticed the glitching during the first throw, did you do anything to attempt to make it go away? As hard as it is to not fly after a bad radio check, fixing the problem is ALWAYS the right thing to do. Its not gonna fix itself (probably ) All that carbon coupled with a crappy rx is not a good combo.

BTW: Done it myself with a 3D depron foamie First and last flight...
Crashaholic is online now Find More Posts by Crashaholic
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:18 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
After you noticed the glitching during the first throw, did you do anything to attempt to make it go away?
Yeah. I walked to the other end of the field.

I did pop the hatch and make sure the rx antenna was connected; it was.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:50 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
I must say, I was absolutely stunned that the LS took that abuse today. It didn't even break a wing bolt.

This is definitely one rugged plane for those of you wondering. Especially the pod.

The nose of the CF fuse was slightly gouged where it hit pavement.

I've inspected the whole plane and beyond that not a single crack.

One thing I did do during the build, which I didn't take any pics of during the build was I added a small square of RX packing foam (real dense gray or white colored foam) and hot glued it onto the tip of my battery.

I wanted to prevent the batt from slamming the inside of the pod and cracking it on a hard nose-in. I also glued a small piece behind the pack to prevent any movement rearwards on launch.

I think this helped prevent any breakage in the nose.

As for my "figure 4" connector...that baffled me...it came loose on most of the crashes. Tonight, on closer inspection, I discovered why.....I placed the CF rod keeper on the wrong side of the L-bend in the pushwire. (See pics)

I'm running all BlueBird servos in this thing and I think they make some decent stuff, at least on par if not a notch or two above GWS.

I think I had either a bad RX or xtal for it to be glitching like that.

I'm going to inject some epoxy/balloons in the delam and the crack in the skin and weight bag it overnight.

And since I've thoroughly violated it with my noobness, I'm tossing in a cheap 4ch (that HAS worked reliably with no glitching) and am gonna chuck it some more tomm and until my berg7 comes.

I know, i won't have flaps, but really, no biggie for me.

If it glitches at that field, it's the site and I'll go somewhere else.

Man, can't wait til I have the funds for the new 2.4ghz Spectrum DX-7 or New Futaba Spread spectrum 7ch and rx's.

Craig
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:42 AM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Craig, you can still have flaps, if your radio will allow it. But, we would need to know what kind of radio it is.

Your glitching is due to have a P.O.S. rx stuck inside of a carbon pod/boom. The carbon hinders the reception. Honestly, skip the pushrod antenna and just run it outside of the boom until you have everything checked out. THEN, move it to the inside if you must. Several of us fly with the antenna outside the boom. Since you are just starting out in DLG, it won't make a performance difference that you will notice and you can focus on flying and not glitching. If you start flying contests, then worry about your antenna placement after a year or so.

Be honest with yourself over whether the convenience and reception you gain is worth a small bit of drag that you won't have the skill level to notice. I'm not knocking your flight skills, I know you can fly, but it's just not worth it until you know your radio and plane setup are bulletproof and you quit beating the crap out of your DLG when you go flying.

As a note to anyone reading this, DON"T skimp on the rx for a DLG!!!!!! The $20 you save will cost you your entire plane, guaranteed!

You are right the planes are all built very tough and are very repairable. You are going to be learning A LOT very quickly.
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Last edited by will_newton; Mar 21, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,734 Posts
bummer about the maiden, but at least the plane is still flyable, we've all had those maiden days...adn all hate them like nothing else in this hobby crashing is the worst when it isnt your fault
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:57 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
I just obliterated the entire fuse, tail and boom with a bad launch impact about 80mph into a fiberglass electrical box.

I had done some adjustment under the hood to fix the shorted switch jack wiring causing my glitching and reconnected the elev servo off by a coupla splines with some (lots) of down deflection and simply didn't catch it before launching.

I'll spare you all the gory details.

Needless to say, I'm still spitting fire and profanities and steaming mad at myself. What a total waste of money.

The wing made it through somehow with just a small crack in the upper surface.

Looking for a pod and boom now.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Ouch. I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope you get it in the air again.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:25 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Yesterday, I nearly had a my entire lot of RC stuff in the F/S forums in one big lot and was bailing out of this hobby for good.

OMG, I can't believe how mad I still am even after a good night's sleep.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
Crash test, dummy.
Southern California
Joined Mar 2005
70 Posts
Sorry to read this, Phiber (or is that Mr. Optik?)

I know a bit about how you feel. Maybe a little pause will help. I've had moments where I felt I'd never get the hang of things, but pushed on.

In a bit, you'll feel better. Just chalk up the cost of bent airplanes to the tuition of this hobby.

Later,
-Russ
Rusty P is offline Find More Posts by Rusty P
Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:19 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Back in the air with LS2.2 !!

I ordered a new pod and boom from Alberto at HobbyClub.com.

The price was VERY reasonable at $70 +SH ($50 for pod, $20 for boom) and he mailed it via priority mail, received it on monday and got straight to work.

When I opened up the box i was amazed to find a Carbon/Kevlar pod....

Absolutely beautiful! And it even included a new canopy (made of CF) It does have a small seam on the bottom that you can feel, but beyond that-flawless.

I'm not entirely sure of the situation on the pod materials, but I can assure you, either one is beautiful and very strong.

Unfortunately, in my excitement to build, I didn't weigh either pod. Sorry.

Since I've changed up the pod gear, i can't tell with CG differences. But I'm guessing the CF/KV is a tad lighter.

The boom looked to be the same construction and very strong. It did have a small seam running lengthwise, but I aligned this on the bottom.

The pod to boom fit was rather loose, even before light sanding, and I eventually had to remove about 4mm before it snugged up.

Alberto said he was out of stock on the tail group, but is awaiting shipment. I decided to use my glassed depron tail to replace my fractured stock fin from the first build, until I could order another replacement fin from Alberto.

It came out at 10 grams ready to mount. I think I could have sanded it a bit thinner and saved a gram or so.

It has a kevlar roving along the LE, 2, 1.3mm CF rods vertically and 4, .007 CF strips horizontally, and .73oz glass with resin weight bagged.

Honestly, I think it's a little too flexy and I noticed the tail wagging a bit on launch a coupla times. I dunno, could be my poor style.

I got my Berg7 Horizontal pin and stuck that in...not a bad fit, still plenty of room for everything, especially minus 1 servo.

The Berg performs flawlessly, and i like the position hold on signal loss. It's also nice if you forget and switch off your TX first before the RX and the servos go nuts.

I cut the antenna at around 3" from RX base, installed my female connector and plugged it into my salvaged control wire antenna plug. Did a OHM test and was good.

As I had already guessed, I still had to add about 28gm of nose weight to balance at CG.

AUW is now 12.2oz

Soon as i got home from work yesterday, I packed it into the car (I think I really need a wing bag) and headed out to the school field. I had a great outing, many flights of 1-3 minutes and the high of the day was catching a small bubble at about 15ft off the deck, circling very slowly just above stall speed and finally riding it up to 200' or so for a 10 minute-ish flight, which would have been longer but I ended up circling the thermal right around the sun! It was killing my eyes and I had to bail out of it.

My launch heights felt good, but as I mentioned i did notice a bit of tail wag with this airframe.

It could be that the tail is weak or because my forward (metal) wing bolt tends to loosen up after several launches and allows a bit of play in the wing saddle. I might try a split or a toothed lock washer, maybe that will help.

Even at 12.2oz, I must say this plane flies well. VERY predictable, even with full rates and no expo, but I dialed in 15% on each just to smooth out my dumb thumbs.

Eventually I worked up to full bore running launches and everything held together, I guess that's all you can ask for I did hear the blade area *creek* a few times when i released awkwardly. I checked it and re-checked and it's still solid. So (?)

I have a nasty blood blister near the tip of my middle finger from the blade....(yes, it's from the blade-not from flaming ) i dunno, having used both a peg and blade now, the jury is still out on the blade for me.

I think that a lot of pilots do prefer the blade over the peg for comfort, although it probably just boils down to personal taste as the aerodynamic benefit of the blade over the peg may be too small to measure-at least for me.

If I ever do bust it, I might try a peg instead just for ha-ha's.

Once i get the tail end sorted with new (lighter) feathers, I hope I'll be able to reduce some nose weight and be in the 11's.

Overall, I am a VERY happy camper with this plane. Plenty of bang and quality for the buck.

Craig
Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Very nice looking plane! Glad you got it repaired and are enjoying it.

FWIW, another local guy got the Carbon/Kevlar pod whereas I got the all Carbon one and his is slightly heavier than mine. Might just be manufacturing differences, but out of curiosity I'd like to see a larger sampling of weights.

Duncan