SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Nov 2011
251 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone motor mounts what's the difference

Just finished putting together my parkzone spitfire when I noticed the motor mount was cracked. The listed part number is pkz5728 and my lhs is out but the had a pkz4428 so I bought it. When comparing mounts could not see the difference other than some cosmetic differences. Can anybody enlighten me on this thanks.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ni-cub-PKZ5728

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...orsair-PKZ4428
bimmerland is online now Find More Posts by bimmerland
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,756 Posts
That cosmetic difference may be for strength. The PKZ5728 is for the Spitfire and the Spitfire uses a stronger/larger/more powerful 15 sized motor. The PKZ4428 is for the T-28 which uses a so-so powerful 480 motor.

Proceed with caution as a undersized/weak motor mount may cause the motor to depart the plane, taking part of the nose with it. The posible destruction lies not in the pull force against the firewall but in the torque force against the mount itself. The mount could shear at the plate that the motor is bolted onto and thus ripping the motor and part of the nose assembly from the plane.

If you do not feel the cosmetic difference is significant enough to warrant any gain of strength between the two mounts, then use the T-28 mount.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Nov 2011
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
That cosmetic difference may be for strength. The PKZ5728 is for the Spitfire and the Spitfire uses a stronger/larger/more powerful 15 sized motor. The PKZ4428 is for the T-28 which uses a so-so powerful 480 motor.

Proceed with caution as a undersized/weak motor mount may cause the motor to depart the plane, taking part of the nose with it. The posible destruction lies not in the pull force against the firewall but in the torque force against the mount itself. The mount could shear at the plate that the motor is bolted onto and thus ripping the motor and part of the nose assembly from the plane.

If you do not feel the cosmetic difference is significant enough to warrant any gain of strength between the two mounts, then use the T-28 mount.
Thanks for the info. Is this from your experience, technical knowledge or personal opinion.
bimmerland is online now Find More Posts by bimmerland
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerland View Post
Thanks for the info. Is this from your experience, technical knowledge or personal opinion.
I once owned the T-28 and am familiar with it. I did go to ParkZone and Horizon and looked up the specs for both mounts ( there is basically none ) and looked to see what planes they were used in.

Seeing what the planes are for each mount I then saw that each plane used a different 'size' motor. Understanding glow/gas and electric motors the way I do I then extropolated that the unknown cosmetic differences (which are unknown to me) but known to you, may be due to the different size motor that each mount is intended for.

However, also knowing quite well that manufacturers and vendors sometimes play with the part number and appearance of an item, due to marketing or a change in a part supplier, that if the cosmetic difference where only slight and would not add any significant strength to the mount, then either mount would probably work in your plane.

You could ask in the PZ Spitfire thread, someone there could give you a definitive answer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463636

Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add link