SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I decided to buy a control board and usb cord to try and learn on. Which one is easier for my first attempt. The multiwi or the KK board. They both need the usb thing to program. Just wondering which one is easier for a first timer. I've already ordered the KK2 board from HK.

Tom
http://www.valuehobby.com/multicopte...rol-board.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/multi-roto...rol-board.html
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Last edited by carr52; Nov 03, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:00 AM
USA, VA, Concord
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Value Hobby Quadcopter components

I am new to helicopters.
I am new to RC.
I am almost 70, but never had a well-functioning brain...and it's not getting better!

So let me ask you guys this question:

Value Hobby has these components for a quadcopter:
ST450 folding metal frame
KK compatible control board
Multi-rotor power board
Emax CF2822 brushless motors (4)
Hobbywing Skywalker 20A ESC (4)
Props - 2 regular and 2 counter rotating

The whole thing is about $120

I have been assembling parts for RC planes and have both Futaba 72MHz TX and RXs and a Spektrum DX7 with multiple RXs.

Is it possible to make a working quadcopter with these parts?
Is the learning curve for the control board too great for a beginner?

Any input would really be appreciated!

Mark H
mcwh is offline Find More Posts by mcwh
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:40 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Mark,

Charger, battery, servo leads, battery plugs.

SPARES OF EVERYTHING, especially props and arms.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:27 PM
USA, VA, Concord
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Accessories

Thanks for the info, brontide.

I have a lipo charger (balancer) and six new batteries with leads
(2mm bullet and 4mm bullet). I also have a wattmeter.

It's my ability to correctly program the control board which concerns me the most.

Has anyone used the KK compatible board from Value Hobby?
There is a manual available for download.
But $12 seems pretty cheap.
mcwh is offline Find More Posts by mcwh
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I've never used the KK compatible board or any other board but I just bought the KK from Value hobby. Also got the USB program thing cord to plug into the PC. It says it comes preconfigured and you get a choice. I chose the tri-copter setup but I also ordered the cord so I can try to learn on my own how to change it to a quad or other setup.

Tom
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:43 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwh View Post

It's my ability to correctly program the control board which concerns me the most.

Has anyone used the KK compatible board from Value Hobby?
There is a manual available for download.
But $12 seems pretty cheap.
There's no programming necessary on the cheaper KK compatible boards- all adjustments are done by means of potentiometers on the board. I use the HK KK 2.1 board and like it a lot. I thought it was really easy to set up, and it flies a lot better than I expected.

You do need the programmer to flash these boards to different configurations, but no true "programming" is required for that either.

The multiwii boards do require programming, and have a steep learning curve from what I can tell, although I've never used one. Witespy is selling a pretty cool looking new board called the "Flip" for ~$20.00, and it looks interesting. It's what I'd try if I wanted to go with multiwii code base.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ontroller.html
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
My KK2 board arrived. I am wondering about the buzzer that came with it. In the video you can see its hooked up but it doesn't where its connected. Does it go on the two pins called the peizo output?

Tom
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:58 AM
Registered Addict
Bodø, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
My KK2 board arrived. I am wondering about the buzzer that came with it. In the video you can see its hooked up but it doesn't where its connected. Does it go on the two pins called the peizo output?

Tom
Yes.
Stigern is offline Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,143 Posts
Quote:

Tom

If you look on YouTube, there's a video tutorial someone did about attaching and setting up the alarm.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Help please.

First of all, i would like to thank Chris for the awesome tutorial and Jim for the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index.

I'm thinking of trying to build my own quad but i'm new in this RC world but i started flying Blade 120 SR and MQX just over 5 months ago. So let's say i have frame.
Specfication:
- Material:Arm and Landing Skid Set(Carbon fiber)+Center Board(carbon fiber+fiberglass)
- Center board size: 1.5X160mm
- Main axis tube :12X10X347mm
- Wheelbase: Adjustable (Max) 680mm
- Frame Weight:650g

Can anyone help me list a mid range components (complete lists) so that i know what to buy as there are tons of brands out there. I'm not using it for anything just pure leisure flying that's all.

All your ideas are much welcome. Thank you very much.
Jenggodude is offline Find More Posts by Jenggodude
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
OK, I've followed all the steps in the videos. Didn't skip any steps. The problem is the motors don't start at the same time. I'm looking for the answer in the different threads but no luck yet. Any ideas?

Tom
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:58 PM
Registered Addict
Bodø, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
875 Posts
Quote:
OK, I've followed all the steps in the videos. Didn't skip any steps. The problem is the motors don't start at the same time. I'm looking for the answer in the different threads but no luck yet. Any ideas?

Tom
Take off your props, and calibrate the ESCs throttle.

EDIT: This was what happened to me, and when I calibrated all the ESCs I got rid of the problem.

EDIT2: Oh, I remember when using the KK 5.5 Blackboard, I had to flash it with latest firmware to get completely rid of the startup problem. Don't know what kind of weird firmware it was runnning. But after firmware update all motors spins up at the same time.
Stigern is offline Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Stigern; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Got some info on another thread about raising the throttle minimum on the FC board. I raised it to 20. That was max. They seem to be starting at the same time now but I won't reall know till tomorrow when I can get it outside. I did the esc calibration thing again also. Thanks for the help.

Tom
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Thanks for this helpful thread! I'm in the process of building my first quad, and I'm a little confused on the best choice for esc and motor.

I have purchased a Q450 frame with a kk2 board. The first question I have is regarding the esc. I have been reading that escs flashed with simonk are the best to use, and I see that rctimer sells preflashed escs. Would the better option be to purchase the preflashed escs, or buy the F-30A escs and flash them myself? Would it be a necessity to flash the F-30A escs if I go with them, or would they be ok to fly with the stock firmware?

Second, I would appreciate a little guidance on the proper motor to go with. I have read that lower kv motors are better if you intend to carry a gopro camera and seek stability in flight. Here are 3 1000kv motors, but I'm not sure which one would be the best option, if any at all.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...8&productname=

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...5&productname=

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,123 Posts
The 3 links you posted don't work for me. If you want some cheaper SimonK ESCs, go here: http://www.myrcmart.com/esc-ubec-rcx...22_82_238.html The RCX ESCs are just as good as the RCTimers.

They probably have the RCX motors with the same specs as the RCTimer motors, too. RCX motors are also just as good and cheaper.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor