HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:56 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
Question
NYX Atomic

Can someone guide me on where to get a NYX Atomic from?

Or is there a new style sailplane that is capable in doing the same
speeds and acro as the NYX.

It needs to be able to fly in 10knots and still ballast up to get from 250 to
300mph

Cheers Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:17 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,067 Posts
Good luck trying to get them to upgrade the elevator belcrank and tail. This vulnerability or weakness keeps the planes speed limit below 200 mph. If that is your speed limit thats fine enough. The Compact seems to be the sturdy plane that flies very well, and is safe into the 300s,especially the BPV and stronger versions. Custom fitting a new bellcrank is an ambitious option. Keep it below 200 and its a fun F3F plane to DS with. For really slow wind, and fun DS the Giant is really hard to beat.
Let us know what you do with the bellcrank if you get one.
John
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:29 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
Good to know John.
I assumed that the Nyx Atomic has been clocked up to 250mph.
Unless it was a custom Built one ( More Carbon) .

Asto
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,253 Posts
I think daboz can answer your question about where to get one.

Some of the most fun DS I've had has been in 10mph winds with my Acacia II.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indubitably View Post
The Compact seems to be the sturdy plane that flies very well, and is safe into the 300s,especially the BPV and stronger versions.
Wizard Compact is a wonderful plane, but the BPV won't go 300 mph. You need at least the single-joiner DS version for that, but then I don't think it's going to do well in 10 mph air.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
Wizard DSX

Would the Wizard DSX fly in 20knots.
What weight is that version?
And how does it go inverted?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:03 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Ask AVB - he's got both the DSX and BPV
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:16 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,597 Posts
Yes bell crank.....I popped mine out a few weeks ago doing egg beaters @ 170.. Got the plane back in one piece . Just came loose and I can move tail up and down from the tip.. Look like it just popped the splooge/epoxy.

NYX DS link....No such thing as an atomic..

...http://www.bretamodel.cz/web/pricelist.html
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:53 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
I've already sent them a message and waiting a reply.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Would the Wizard DSX fly in 20knots.
What weight is that version?
And how does it go inverted?
I have three Wizards

- single C93 carbon. Never weighed it but I'd guess 75 ounces. Flies in very light frontside, but I pull the plug on DSing it at about 150-160 mph. Wings start to get bendy at that speed.

- single joiner DS version (Ferrari red!). Weighs about 140 ounces with steel joiner. I'll fly it at Kepp's Crossing, which doesn't have great frontside lift and is about 2000 meters ASL, in 20-25 mph winds. At Weldon, it might be OK as low as 15-20 at Weldon. I think John B. has flown this version to 250+ mph or so and it can definitely do more.

- double joiner DSX version. Weighs about 170 ounces with steel joiners and no ballast. I'll fly it at Kepp's in 30+ mph, Weldon 20+. Ian has gone 349 mph with one of these.

I think they fly fine inverted. For me, they get less & less acrobatic as they get heavier, but Nick & Ian tear it up with their DSX Wizards.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:13 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
Nothing like a NYX, still my favorite all around plane,

It doesn’t bother me to keep it under 200mph, at all, not one bit, in fact love those speeds… For slow speed Acro, egg beaters and such I think it's going to be hard to beat this plane, very hard. I've flown so many other planes and nothings close. I fly mine in 7 or 8 mph wind all the way to 60 at Norco and don’t change the weight? A lot of the other planes don't turn like the nyx, don't have the floating elevator for inverted flight. Not being the expert builder I don’t know what the mojo is that this plane has, but it has it…

Funny, the last ones we ordered, the 3x’s had crappy bell cranks, the 2x’s, had bigger one piece bell cranks. Bruce and I are trying to order more and heavier layup fuses and tail groups. It’s a little tuff getting through to the breta guys but I wouldn’t give up to easy. They will do what you ask, I think the guys over at breta are busy building the best f3f planes, there’s a language barrier and they may not be DS'rs but I think they want to please. On the older ones the F3F version I did take out the bell crank and beef it up a bit and that plane is still alive and well. Like most of you I have other planes for speed. I’m really just a fun flyer and this is the best fun I’ve found yet. Well,,, there is a new player on the block that might just take over the fun DS market!

For fast Acro probably get the DSX or if you're will to wait just a bit and don't mind an actuated elevator, ask Spencer if you can order a light version of the 2M Kinetic, I know we’ve been talking about it and I can’t wait to get one. I think they’re just around the corner too, maybe late July early August!!!! I’ve only flown the full build version and it’s quite exceptional at turning! That thing is going over 400… Spencer got a 372 its maiden day, Bruce a 351 and I got a 342 being respectful. A light version would be insane, fast and turn on a dime! It’s got a lot of new “Spencer” Tech in both design and build…

Tried calling you Asto,

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:08 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
Cheers for the info Chris,
I got your message,
I have got the F3B version, the Nyx Furio.
I had a great time last time we went to cactus with it doing rolls, inverted ds and other acro stuff in the light arvo breeze.
So I was thinking of a beefier version could do some faster acro. Mine is only good for maybe 140's.
Maybe Pattrick can share some knowlege on bellcranks his DS diva's got a full flying stab hasn't it?

Some has to design a 2.5 to 3m that can fly to 300 and still do acro in 5knots. And I'm talking inverted as well. Might be to hard basket, what about 10 knots then..

Now that's a challenge, I've already got 2 projects why not start another.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
Yes bell crank.....I popped mine out a few weeks ago doing egg beaters @ 170.. Got the plane back in one piece . Just came loose and I can move tail up and down from the tip.. Look like it just popped the splooge/epoxy.

NYX DS link....No such thing as an atomic..

...http://www.bretamodel.cz/web/pricelist.html
There is such thing as a NYX atomic...

http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CGYQ7gEwCA
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Can someone guide me on where to get a NYX Atomic from?

Or is there a new style sailplane that is capable in doing the same
speeds and acro as the NYX.

It needs to be able to fly in 10knots and still ballast up to get from 250 to
300mph

Cheers Asto
Hey Asto, just wanted to let you know the guys at Breta have gotten back to bruce so try contacting them again.

we're ordering some heavier tail groups... the said we could have whatever we want.

make sure and stress/order heavy duty bell cranks or make your own

chris
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Man, you do get a good deal when you buy the proper stuff! That is awesome that they will make them to order!

Coming to NZ Chris?
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member