HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Discussion
ELF RX...Hitec Minima or Optima?

Is anyone using Hitec equipment in their ELF? If so, what rx are you using?

Would the Optima 6 with the case removed be light enough, and would it even fit?
Of course the boda would be removed from either.

Would the Minima be a better option? It looks like about a 4gm difference.

I'm guessing end plugs as opposed to top plugs?

EDIT: I think I am more awake now, and answered my own question. I went ahead and ordered the Minima-E. No reason it shouldn't work.....hopefully.

Thanks, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Last edited by Flyextreme; Jun 05, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:06 PM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
753 Posts
I am using a Minima 6E with 2 D47 servos. The Minima 6E just fits with the case removed. I seriously doubt you could get an Optima 6 in even with the case removed. With the Minima 6E you don't need to remove the Boda. I doubt if you could fit a Minima 6T with the top pins.

The Optima has a higher current draw than the Minima. I am using the 6E quite successfully with a 1S Lipo, not sure if the Optima would work with 1S. I am using a 200mah pack but if you install the servos a little bit further back you can fit in a 500mah 1S lipo. Commonsense RC sell a 300mah Lipo that is about the same size as the one I am using.

Attached are pictures of my install. One antenna is fed out through a hole in the side of the fuselage and the other runs toward the nose. The mini-BODA cause no installation problem so why remove it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
Is anyone using Hitec equipment in their ELF? If so, what rx are you using?

Would the Optima 6 with the case removed be light enough, and would it even fit?
Of course the boda would be removed from either.

Would the Minima be a better option? It looks like about a 4gm difference.

I'm guessing end plugs as opposed to top plugs?

Thanks, Bill
VintageFan is offline Find More Posts by VintageFan
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
I just figured weight on this plane is über critical and it seems quite few people are removing the Boda with no ill effects. I would prefer to leave them on.

Once I get it all together, I will put it on the scale and see where I am with the BODA's left on.

I will be using the 240 1S lipo pack that Berry from Kennedy Composites said was specifically for the Elf. Also D47's.

Thank You very much for the info and pix.

Bill
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
I just found out the Minima doesn't have BODA's like the Optima's do. Makes things easier for sure
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:42 PM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
I just found out the Minima doesn't have BODA's like the Optima's do. Makes things easier for sure
Actually, they do, they are just much more compact than the BODA on the Optima. Hitec refer to it as the mini BODA or M-BODA.

As you can see it is not much thicker than the antenna lead and much, much easier to deal with in something compact like a DLG
VintageFan is offline Find More Posts by VintageFan