HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,317 Posts
Discussion
NEW FMS Bf109f owners thread.

Ok, seeing as nobody else has started one i suppose i might as well get the ball rolling with a bit of an assembly and flight test thread on the new 109, i figure that being as the new 190 owners thread format seems to be working out quite nicely with lots of good info, and troll free comment we should do the same here, though i wont be offering a step by step build vid, (i'm ok behind a video camera, but you really don't want me in front of one )

my plane turned up damage free, and in only 4 business days from PW-RC, i also picked up a couple of 3300 nano-techs, and an AR-7010 reciever for it. upon opening and inspection i found the elevator hinges were cracked up in a couple of places, i slotted these and slipped a couple of CA hinges in to them. 1 of the 4 wing mounting bolts was missing as well, i will rat through my stocks of bits and should be able to come up with something, no biggie.
after reading about some of the issues that are being had with the motor i removed it and opened her up to check the magnets, and stator for security, all looked fine but i ran some thin CA around the magnets as a bit of insurance, and made sure the collar was well tightend, and the grub screw located on the flat of the motor shaft. glued the wings and tailplane together with the supplied glue after giving the mating surfaces a bit of a roughup with some sandpaper, i'm not really jazzed about the way the wing halfs mate up, with only about 50% contact area, i will fill the gap with epoxy tomorrow.
there is a fair old birdsnest of wiring wich will need sorting out, but i plugged everything together, and checked that all functioned, all good, though the ESC wouldnt arm up until i calibrated the throttle.
well thats about it so far, hopefully will get her buttoned up, and maidened over the weekend weather permitting and if all is well after that it will be time for a fresh coat of jam, and a spruce up!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Last edited by trumps; Apr 21, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,317 Posts
some more pics, for some reason it wouldn't let me upload them all in the 1st post.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Nice pictures Trumps. Thanks for posting them. It really is a great improvement over the previous 109.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,763 Posts
Trumps, Are the insignias decals or water slides?
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
I plan on getting one of these down the road and re-painting it. The lines look great on this and deserves a meaner paint scheme. Look forward to all the information on this one!
demire is online now Find More Posts by demire
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
As nice as this models is,that enlarged vertical fin just really bugs me.I have a Parkzone 109 and it flies great.Granted the enlarged fin would improve directional control,but it's a warbird man!Not a cub.I dislike it when a designer will tweak an airframe to make it easier for the masses to fly.Sorry if that sounds critical,but I prefer a challenging aircraft.If a trainer is needed,then go get a trainer! Nuff said.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Trumps, Are the insignias decals or water slides?
FMS never use water slides. They are decals. Easily reapplied with some spray adhesive.

@ bouncekb2003 - Dude it's called an Stanley knife and it has the ability to cut foam.

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
What's the best was to remove the decals cleanly other then very carefully?
demire is online now Find More Posts by demire
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003 View Post
As nice as this models is,that enlarged vertical fin just really bugs me.I have a Parkzone 109 and it flies great.Granted the enlarged fin would improve directional control,but it's a warbird man!Not a cub.I dislike it when a designer will tweak an airframe to make it easier for the masses to fly.Sorry if that sounds critical,but I prefer a challenging aircraft.If a trainer is needed,then go get a trainer! Nuff said.
mate it is a foam ARF and i have never seen one yet that is perfect, if i wanted a master scale model perfect in every way i would build one but i have far to many builds on the board already! the parkzone 109 might have a closer to scale v-stab but even they have made compromises, just look at the undercarrage, or lack of it in most cases! as dambit has posted above, if it offends your sensibilities to such a huge degree buy one and fix it your self, if not move along!

Craig
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demire View Post
What's the best was to remove the decals cleanly other then very carefully?
Not sure, in the past I've just pulled them off. The aren't too fragile so they come off in one piece. Hopefully
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
mate it is a foam ARF and i have never seen one yet that is perfect, if i wanted a master scale model perfect in every way i would build one but i have far to many builds on the board already! the parkzone 109 might have a closer to scale v-stab but even they have made compromises, just look at the undercarrage, or lack of it in most cases! as dambit has posted above, if it offends your sensibilities to such a huge degree buy one and fix it your self, if not move along!

Craig
Yes I agree Parkzone made compromises and yes,mine is a belly flopper so no landing gear whatsoever.Don't get me wrong,the FMS 109 has lot's to like,including the retracts and nice scale flaps.It's just such a shame that they got so much great detail,and then screwed up the tail!Yes,I do know how to fix the tail,and I probably would if I were to buy one.And I just might.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,317 Posts
pretty much ready to go, just need to get some selfadhesive velcro to secure the battery. don't know if the sticker is facing the wrong way, and velcro strap for the pack is of no use because my 3300 pack needs to go quite a way forward of them to achieve CoG. will soon see though i guess all in all a nice looking model!

Craig
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:28 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Good luck with the maiden Trumps! Will be very interested to read a report.
Steve (... yes, there are a lot of us)
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:37 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,317 Posts
done deal, maidened the 109 today and it flys magnificently.
the recommend CoG is spot on, it tookoff very nicely in a very scale manner at barely 2/3 throttle, and climbed out nicely. i flew a couple of circuits with gear down just to get a feel for her, but when i went to retract the gear it would not raise all the way, i cycled it a couple of times but no joy, in the end i rolled it on it's back and they retracted properly. it has plenty of power, cruising nicely at half throttle, and no trim adjustment was required at all. she flys a nice large loop, and is pretty axial in the roll. with some height i lowered the gear, and the flaps and she slows down very nicely, with only a slight nose down change in pitch. my timer was set for 5 minutes, and when it went off i brought her in to land, maintaining about 1/4 throttle she sunk, and settled on the mains though floated off a bit into a slightly quatering headwind, due to the narrow track and wind she rocked about on the mains a bit and slightly scuffed the trailing edge of the outer wing tips (some glass tape in this area would be the go) she showed no sign of nosing over , even as i taxied of the bitumen strip onto the grass.
unfortunately i lost the air intake on the maiden, i had only tacked it in due to wanting to be able to remove it when i repaint the model, i have contacted Philip at PW-RC to see if he can order one up for me, plus another decal set.
the second flight was even better than the first!i raised the gear as soon at she lifted off, and it went all the way up, i should imagine due to the lower airspeed not causing them to trip out, looks nicer this way anyhow . i would recommend a spot of loctite on the spinner retaining screw as it came loose on both flights.
after 5 minutes of mixed flying , but mainly at 1/2 -2/3 throttle my 3300 nano-techs took approx 1600mah to recharge.
all in all she is a cracker, and is very solid in the air, Me likey
hope i can get some more vid tomorrow.
FMS 109f maiden (4 min 4 sec)

Cheers
Craig
Last edited by trumps; Apr 21, 2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:48 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,763 Posts
Congrats!

I have had good luck reusing FMS decals. Just use some spray adhesive to reinstall.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW