SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:13 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
You will find the magnets are likely spread around the bell with large gaps in dons motors , I found the suppo and Sunrise and some other cheap esc's all have issues with really high rpm or large pole gaps, when I tried them. The 1W40 for example is too hot for the Sunrise ESC's, only the HW will handle it.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:11 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I am glad they have worked well for you. Don's motors are superb and make excellent, reliable power for 64 mm EDF jets on a 3S and 4S. They are six pole motors.
I've ran the SUPPO 190/200 amp esc on 8s with Big Foot motors and they're 6 pole... 80amps on 8s

The ESC got warmer than usual but I also ran it without airflow longer than usual

I've ran all the CS fans with the HK 40mm motors with the SUPPO esc's...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,457 Posts
I have owned (4) Suppo's. Only 1 still works. (3) failed during programing. All are 80A opto. I switched to Turnigy Plush or HET(for HET motors) and no issues since. The one good Suppo, is glued to my shop wall, with the bad ones, as a reminder. But, I have used many smaller Suppo's (10-18A)on prop planes with no issues. So figure that out...

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
I have owned (4) Suppo's. Only 1 still works. (3) failed during programing. All are 80A opto. I switched to Turnigy Plush or HET(for HET motors) and no issues since. The one good Suppo, is glued to my shop wall, with the bad ones, as a reminder. But, I have used many smaller Suppo's (10-18A)on prop planes with no issues. So figure that out...

Fuzz
You can't use more than 2s to program the SUPPO esc's, if you use anything above that it will overheat quickly and burn out during programming.

There's a thread floating around RCG on the SUPPO esc's, even reprogramming their MCUs to take more pole count than 8
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,457 Posts
There was no info out about that, 3 yrs ago. Not even Lightflight had that info, where they were purchased. In fact, I was told, by them, that I had the wrong timing (high) for a 6-pole ARC. Altho, the motors were not functioning during the programing.

But, thanx for that info!

Fuzz

But...I program the smaller Suppo's on 3s.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
There was no info out about that, 3 yrs ago. Not even Lightflight had that info, where they were purchased. In fact, I was told, by them, that I had the wrong timing (high) for a 6-pole ARC. Altho, the motors were not functioning during the programing.

But, thanx for that info!

Fuzz

But...I program the smaller Suppo's on 3s.
The smaller ones have a different set of Field Effect Transistors (FETs or fast transition transistors)...similar to the ones used on hobbywing..they look like IC chips instead of 3 prong transistors ... I have them too and they work great....I usually go to 40 amps on 4s with the 25 amp spec'd smaller suppos from HK.

Regards
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Unpublished 2S programming requirements is another reason to stay away from these low cost ESCs. Any ESC should be able to be programmed without waiting for a TSB to state you must program using a 2s pack and be capable of running motors with the range of motor poles that exist in the market. I don't budget my time or money trying to figure out the peculiarities of cheap components. I, for one, have given up on Suppo components. The clincher was buying five 2212-06 motors and the first four tossed magnets on first flights. And no, I did not overprop or over volt them.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Unpublished 2S programming requirements is another reason to stay away from these low cost ESCs. Any ESC should be able to be programmed without waiting for a TSB to state you must program using a 2s pack and be capable of running motors with the range of motor poles that exist in the market...
Driving over 3000 watts reliably and keepin cool for 29usd tops I'll take the little quirks. You don't have to use a 2s just don't leave them in programming mode for longer than a couple of mins above that cell count.

I've driven 8 pole big foot (blue ones) motors with the SUPPO 190ss..

For the money they are some of the best, the rest (outside hobbywings) are white boxed MCU, boards, FETs and voltage regulators with tolerances that get negated because etching doesn't have the right gauge or something of the like and then have the nerve to charge > 50usd...I'm talking about the expensive ones too...3 - 400usd ones that you hear blow driving under spec.

If I'm going to pay 3 times the price I want at least 2 times the something else and even here recently we see costly does in NO WAY = reliability.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I don't get it why all of a sudden is there an attack on the suppo's lots of people using them way way way back when this and the 90mm thread started
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
I don't get it why all of a sudden is there an attack on the suppo's lots of people using them way way way back when this and the 90mm thread started
Yeap, I have vid of the 190\200 bein driven to 3700 watts in the CS 12blade 90mm thread

I'm more passionate about this issue because I honestly bought the "expensive" brands and either burned up or crashed models when I first started flyin. I honestly didn't believe it was the esc's until I read about them and then asked how could that be...took apart one and found out REALLY quick...

Tried another more expensive brand and found out it was a white boxed Hobbywing with a different heat sink!

Then tried the hobby wings and found out their FETs are spec'd to 20% over what they're advertised ... their 60 amp esc will eat 80amps in airflow all day long.

There are some companies that will stand by their products no doubt...but I'm wanting a reliable product not a reliable warranty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Im with you on that I want to fly a plane not wait for warranty work. For the price of the suppo's I can have a backup or two sitting just incase.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
The smaller ones have a different set of Field Effect Transistors (FETs or fast transition transistors)...similar to the ones used on hobbywing..they look like IC chips instead of 3 prong transistors ... I have them too and they work great....I usually go to 40 amps on 4s with the 25 amp spec'd smaller suppos from HK.

Regards
Ahhhh.... If I'm not mistaken, ZTW makes several popular brands of ESC's. I have Hobby Wing that looks identical. Doesn't mean the electronics are the same, of course. But ZTW have proven reliable, to the point where I use Turnigy Plush, HET, and ZTW. All my Castles have been relegated to prop usage only. A real shame...

Thanks for the clarifications.

Fuzz
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Driving over 3000 watts reliably and keepin cool for 29usd tops I'll take the little quirks. You don't have to use a 2s just don't leave them in programming mode for longer than a couple of mins above that cell count.

I've driven 8 pole big foot (blue ones) motors with the SUPPO 190ss..

For the money they are some of the best, the rest (outside hobbywings) are white boxed MCU, boards, FETs and voltage regulators with tolerances that get negated because etching doesn't have the right gauge or something of the like and then have the nerve to charge > 50usd...I'm talking about the expensive ones too...3 - 400usd ones that you hear blow driving under spec.

If I'm going to pay 3 times the price I want at least 2 times the something else and even here recently we see costly does in NO WAY = reliability.
There is not an attack, they are just not reliable to me. If they work for you then go for it. I use Hobbywing ESCs and have had no problems with them whatsoever.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
I'm hooked!

I installed the CS10 in a Freewing F16 and love it!!! Video here with stock comparison:

CS10 70mm Fan upgrade in Freewing F-16 edf (2 min 29 sec)

Below are the components I added to handle the upgrade:

10 Blade High-Performance 70mm EDF Ducted Fan Unit
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22069

TURNIGY Plush 80A w/ UBEC Speed Controller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3727

Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18543

Turnigy nano-tech 2250mah 4S 65~130C Lipo Pack
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19124

Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBEC for Lipo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10312
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime