SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
Here ya go mate, have fun, I know we do.

http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin
Thank you I may do it now (I'm on my second glass of wine), must wait.

No one would recommend this as a trainer but I think I can use it that way but have a killer time doing it.

Ok while I got the web site up I'll order it. OOps big shipipng, I'll address this tomorrow

Thank you,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Sculptor, you'll have a period of time, maybe months of anxiety, crashes, heartache, and lots of repairs and learning. But as time goes by and you stick with it it'll start becoming natural with the sticks and you'll be blown away how much fun your having!
The Assassin is great because it takes most of the fear of crashing away and when you get into some combat it's hard to beat the fun you'll have.
I might also suggest later getting a 3d profile foamie. They'll do everything, slow and fast, and will help you learn lots of cool moves making you look better then what you are. Have fun

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:42 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Here's the thing. While it's true nobody generally recommends the Assassin as a trainer; it is indeed a great second plane and a great flying wing trainer. I know several people who have built the Assassin as their first plane and done just fine. Personally, I took some time myself before trying the Assassin, if you are looking for something easier to fly that is durable check out the trainers on the Crash Test Hobby website.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:59 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
if you are looking for something easier to fly that is durable check out the trainers on the Crash Test Hobby website.
Agreed. For a brand-spanking-new flyer, I'd suggest CTH's Albatross, or maybe Pelican. But for someone with at least a little experience on the sticks, an Assassin will do great, and take the beating during the learning phase.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:47 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Agreed. For a brand-spanking-new flyer, I'd suggest CTH's Albatross, or maybe Pelican. But for someone with at least a little experience on the sticks, an Assassin will do great, and take the beating during the learning phase.
I've been 'buddy boxed' at the club for a few weeks with a 63" Cessna 182 can't line it up well enough to land yet. Before that flew a Sky Surfer Bixler power glider.
Flew it 27 times crashed and fixed 15 times trying to teach myself to fly. Spent lots of time on a sim and still do.

I don't like the Cessna much it's a 5 lb flying pig' - compared to the SS witch I love to fly, it's fast, climbs vertical, it's not stock.

But as I said a guy gave me this motorized piece of foam called a "Combat" plane then I searched and found you guys having a ball with these wing things.

"I GOT'S to get me one of these"

Thank all of you for commenting on this and the encouragement,

DJ
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
@Sculptor, I had the same problem kept crashing my planes until I built and flew and Assassin. I stlil crash from time to time but my confidence level is thru the roof. When you know you have a plane that you can crash and pick back up and your flying again. I now fly all my other planes with some what ease,(Mini edf jets, ww2 era planes and other designs.

Get one these babies and you won't look back. I am going on my 4th CTH wing in 3 or 4 months.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:04 PM
Essex UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
Hi, what thickness laminate is used on the Assassin? Oh just seen its classed as 3mil, what's that in micron 300?

Thanks.
Warmshed is offline Find More Posts by Warmshed
Last edited by Warmshed; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:12 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
3 mil if memory serves...
Often times it doesn't.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:17 PM
Essex UK
Joined Nov 2003
87 Posts
Thanks Jetpacknunja, I amended that post as you replied. Seems to be sold in microns in the UK and I was wondering if 300 microns= 3 mil, sorry about my lack of knowledge.
Warmshed is offline Find More Posts by Warmshed
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
No problems mate
according to the google machine 3 mil = 76.2 microns
But no worries, the laminate come with the kit
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:30 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
This morning I ordered the 34" Assassin and tonight I will order the other stuff for it y'all listed. Then I'll be asking the board how to set it up to learn to fly it. How to throw it and set up my DX6i ( I've got it set up now as a flying wing for the little pink combat plane I was given,everything works right).

This is going to be sooo fun. I've got to look and see if theres something like it in my Clearview sim. Can It be set up to be very docile to learn it?

Thanks everybody,
DJ
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmshed View Post
Hi, what thickness laminate is used on the Assassin? Oh just seen its classed as 3mil, what's that in micron 300?

Thanks.
A mil is 1/1000", so 3 mil is 0.003"

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_(length)
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
There is a Zagi flying wing model in Clearview that has characteristics close enough to the Assassin to be helpful. The main thing that it helps with is the orientation aspects of learning to fly a wing. One aggravating thing about that model (in clearview) is learning how to land it without crashing.
Have no fear- The assassin you can just get somewhere near the ground and cut of the motor. If it noses in or cartwheels it's no big deal

Zagi with flames
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll...eid=314225&ck=
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
There is a Zagi flying wing model in Clearview that has characteristics close enough to the Assassin to be helpful. The main thing that it helps with is the orientation aspects of learning to fly a wing. One aggravating thing about that model (in clearview) is learning how to land it without crashing.
Have no fear- The assassin you can just get somewhere near the ground and cut of the motor. If it noses in or cartwheels it's no big deal

Zagi with flames
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll...eid=314225&ck=
Thank you sir, I downloaded it.
DJ
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:49 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
This morning I ordered the 34" Assassin and tonight I will order the other stuff for it y'all listed. Then I'll be asking the board how to set it up to learn to fly it. How to throw it and set up my DX6i
Just head back to the CTH website, and navigate to the Assassin again. There will be a tab for instructions. You can view them right on the site, or download the .pdf. Just stick to the instructions and you'll be good.

...but of course, if you have questions along the way, never hesitate to come here.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan