SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:15 AM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Oct 2014
49 Posts
Help!
HS-82MG Glitching on Ailerons, Any Ideas? VIDEO INCLUDED

I just put the finishing touches on my E-Flite Phantom F4 this past weekend and I am having issue with the aileron servos glitching. So far I've tried is using a different y-harness, setting up the L/R aileron on their own channel, and re-binding but they still glitch, none of the other servos are doing this, just the ailerons. Any ideas?

Here is a rundown of my system: TX is a spectrum DX6, receiver is a AR800, esc is a box stock castle 100 lite.

Hitec HS-82MG Glitch Issue (0 min 21 sec)
ACE51 is offline Find More Posts by ACE51
Last edited by ACE51; Nov 03, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:40 AM
Joined Oct 2014
49 Posts
From searching around the interwebs it sounds like I need a Ferret's ring on the leads....
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:45 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
I don't know the Phantom, but can you disconnect the link to the aileron horn or to the servo arm, and try again, (i.e. with no aileron load on the servos).

Try cycling the servos a few times with full rates, (full movement), in case they just need a bit of action on the feed-back pot. Then see if the servo arm moves smoothly or still glitches.

And while the link is disconnected do the ailerons move freely with very light pressure. They should be quite free to move, capable of flapping up and down if the model is shaken.

Still a problem ?, plug an aileron servo into one of the other channels, (elevator, rudder), and see if it still glitches. If it does it probably need replacing.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
Ref the ferrite ring, usually they go on the ESC to Rx lead.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2014
49 Posts
Ok, I will try plugging the ail into one of the other channels, that's a good idea. Its strange because these servos are brand new, and its only on the ailerons...
Old Nov 03, 2014, 12:43 PM
Joined Oct 2014
49 Posts
Ok, I tried plugging the ailerons into different channels and no luck. I did find that by removing one of the leads from the y harness I get no glitching. I have already tried using a different y-harness and it still glitches, I wonder if its a case of the servos not getting enough voltage or something...
Old Nov 03, 2014, 01:19 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
I have read in a few threads of a problem with some 'Y' leads, hopefully someone who has solved it will post.

Strange thing is, I do some pretty big wings with long extensions and 'Y' leads, never had a problem.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2014
49 Posts
I went to my LHS today and tried two new servos, same thing. Tried another new y harness, same glitches. I ended up going to a digital servo that cost 2x as much and it works fine. I forget which ones I got but I think they are 5085's. Strange how it worked out because I have a HS82MG on the rudder and one on the nose steering tied in a y and they don't glitch at all!
Old Nov 04, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2014
49 Posts
Maidened her today, thanks to the help of Anderson RC they were able to figure out the aileron servos as mentioned above.

Here is a video of the second flight, she cooks!
E-Flite F4 Phantom Second Flight Winston Salem (0 min 46 sec)