SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:29 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
299 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4: Guillows Stearman, Capricorn One

Hi - I jumped into the fray of Build-Off 4, the backdrop of a deadline always keeps me chugging along.

I had accumulated 3 Guillows Stearman kits over the last few months with the intention of building with different power systems.

This is a great chance for me to get going on #1. I gave one to a friend and hope we can figure out how to build flyable versions along the way.

I have already gotten some good advice, and using the RCGroups Guillows Build Guide thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1

I get the message: build light!

I am planning on using an OrangeRX 615X DSMX RX, "Blue Wonder" Motor, 12A Turnigy Plush ESC, 500maH 20C LIPO - I have used all of these before with good results.

Setting a very high standard for finishing, I am going to go for the Capricorn One movie helicpter-plane chase scene color scheme - basically, red cropduster grunge - almost nothing else of note except perhaps an Elliot Gould-Telly Savalis-James Brolin crew - with James hanging on the wing.

Capricorn One Bi-Plane Helicopter Chase (5 min 22 sec)

Some pickups in reading other build logs so far are
1. all the electronics go as far forward as possible
2. use torsion bars and one servo for ailerons
3. balsa weight/quality has to be watched - hand select balsa especially for tailfeathers for weight reasons.
4. pull-pull control cables - fishing line
5. small throws, lots of expo
6. heavier gauge landing gear wire, add a spring loop
7. TBD

AntiARF was really successful with the Guillows Stearman, a couple other gents also, who I will be borrowing heavily from. Pburress, JugJock, Krimit, Tegeus were successful, too.

I will go Microlite or tissue and dope. I have never used microlite so motivated to try that and I just picked up some red off RCGroups for sale ads.

It is truly a huge field of builders I join for this build-off - looking forward to watch everyone's progress.

Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2015, 08:02 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
747 Posts
Looks interesting. In the movie, RC models were used in some scenes for the heli's and Stearman. Notice when the Hughes OH-6's hit the mountain, you can see the paddles on the main rotor. An odd thing is the sound dubbing for the Pratt R-985. A 600hp engine should not sound like a Lycoming.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest