SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:43 PM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
Discussion
If you join a contest: how much planes to take with?

Is one plane enough? If not, do you have a second identical plane or eg. a secon smaller, lighter, heavier plane?

Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:45 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,554 Posts
Depends on the contest.
You definitely need at least one model....
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Dec 13, 2014, 04:31 PM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
ok ... i know, allowed are 3 planes max.
Do you have always a spare plane with you?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:56 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,554 Posts
One plane is enough to get started. I bet most people bagan their f3x career with one plane.

I carry spare planes in case of failures or crashing etc. In f3j you might want to change plane because of the conditions.

When you start you just want to not crash and not do really badly.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:43 AM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
...In f3j you might want to change plane because of the conditions.
What is the strategy in F3J to select the three planes?
E.g. one for superlight conditions and two more or less identical?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:12 PM
USA, FL, Milton
Joined Jul 2008
125 Posts
Hi Bernd,

I carry two airplanes to most contests. A light wind and lift conditions airplane, and a normal conditions airplane. I also carry ballast for the normal airplane in case its a windy day.

Your first flight(s) in the morning may be in light lift and wind conditions. As the day progresses and thermal activity and winds build at some point I will switch to the heavier airplane. If winds build past about 10 mph I start adding ballast to get heavier still.

I think the need for three airplanes in F3J may be partly dictated by the need for a rapid relaunch within a round to avoid a zero score. I don't fly F3J but follow the event, so its a bit of a guess on my part.

A side benefit to flying two airplanes of the same design with identical setups is the ability to swap parts and components during a contest in case of a failure.

Hope this answers your question.

lc
liftchaser is offline Find More Posts by liftchaser
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:00 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
22,119 Posts
An interesting aspect of F3B is that no parts may be swapped and that each of the 3 flight tasks, Duration, Distance, and Speed, must be flown with the exact same plane.
IF you have a mid-air in distance, which is not uncommon, you must repair the plane to have it flyable in speed, or suffer a ZERO in that task.

I always bring two planes to a contest, they usually are of differing designs. I cannot afford to by two of everything unfortunately.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:56 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,554 Posts
Hi Target, strictly speaking you would be allowed a reflight in the event of a mid air.

Otherwise if you crash or have equipment failure, tough.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:11 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
22,119 Posts
But is that a reflight with an alternate plane?
I think that is what you are implying.

R,
Target
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:36 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,554 Posts
yes with a different plane.
I remember at the WC a couple of your USA guys had mid airs and got re-flights.

You can't afford to muck up your plane in f3b though generally!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:19 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
An interesting aspect of F3B is that no parts may be swapped and that each of the 3 flight tasks, Duration, Distance, and Speed, must be flown with the exact same plane.
IF you have a mid-air in distance, which is not uncommon, you must repair the plane to have it flyable in speed, or suffer a ZERO in that task.

I always bring two planes to a contest, they usually are of differing designs. I cannot afford to by two of everything unfortunately.

R,
Target
Parts can be swapped, just not within a round, unless you have a midair. For example, if you have several midairs and can piece an airplane together from the remaining bits, this is okay. In other words, you are allowed enough parts to make up three models and you can combine those parts however you want as long as that combination is the same for the entire round.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:26 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
22,119 Posts
Ok, got it.
That's more reasonable!
R,
Target
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:31 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
Parts can be swapped, just not within a round, unless you have a midair. For example, if you have several midairs and can piece an airplane together from the remaining bits, this is okay. In other words, you are allowed enough parts to make up three models and you can combine those parts however you want as long as that combination is the same for the entire round.
Very often I program mixed wing-fuselage combos to my tx - just for the case of emergency if I am running out of planes.

To fly F3J cmpetitively one needs at least two planes, a light one and and a moderately heavy allround plane for the more windy rounds. The third plane depends of probable conditions, but for me it is usually another light plane. I like to take three planes with me to a competition although I try to fly just one plane if everything goes well and conditions do not require changing a plane.

I have also a plane for seriously strong winds, but I rarely need to use it. Unfortunately... I like flying in strong winds.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2009
22 Posts
If three planes are pretty much a requirement it leads me to wonder about a follow up question. I was reading in the AMA publication and the Soaring columnist pointed out that contest ships become obsolete after only a few months. This would require recycling of ones fleet two or three times a season. At several thousand dollars a plane this would be prohibitively expensive for most hobbyists. Is F3B like car racing where only the heavily sponsored pilots are competitive? Also, what do guys do with the glut of used obsolete ships?
I looked into a contest ship once and of the two major suppliers in the US one didn't return emails and one tried to sell me a ship called an Explorer which at the time had been out for several years. Paying a few grand (Including electronics) for a state of the art glider is one thing but paying several grand for something collecting dust on a back shelf is quite another. Needless to say I gave up. What is crazy is that I fly contests in full scale but the process of starting out in RC contests is just too intimidating. Seems a bit backwards. Must say I still have lots of fun at the sport level of RC.
DougCorrigan is offline Find More Posts by DougCorrigan
Last edited by DougCorrigan; Dec 24, 2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:50 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
22,119 Posts
That's straight b.s., Doug.
It's been my experience that b and f planes are good design wise for at least a couple of seasons, sometimes more. Same with j ships.
If anything, dlg flying is harder contest wise than other disciplines.
I won a f3f race this year or last with my 2007 Ceres....
R,
Target