SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:12 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Hey All.

Ok. So last night I had time to replace my damaged parts and CA some foam on the fuse. She is now flight worthy once again.

At the same time I managed to buy the new DX6 radio so I'm starting to re-create my models in the radio.

Now that I have 3 flight modes I was planning on using normal mode with my current soft setup and use the other 2 flight modes with McConville recommended settings

Does anyone here use these McConville recommended settings or do you find them to be excessive?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:07 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,765 Posts
If anyone out there wants a nice mod for their Extra, try the Lemonrx stabilized receiver. Flying SLOW, full up elevator with power holding the nose up in a full stall only a slight waggle of the wings keeping it from dipping a wing. Haven't fully adjusted the stabilizer or wrung it out due to weather but I am fairly confident knife edge and 3d should be a snap with this $21 receiver/stabilizer.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:08 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,672 Posts
This sure is a quiet thread lately...

I have an Extra 300, and I love this little plane. Although most of my planes are warbirds, I'm going to give some of this fancy flying a go. My son and I used to fly it more often when he lived at home, but it sat for about a year unflown. It did have one incident where the tape that everyone says is "just fine" let go and we lost all elevator authority and the plane nosed in. Fortunately, the damage was relatively minor with some dings in the wings from the small plants in the field and something I only noticed tonight when getting it ready for flying tomorrow: the motor seemed to be bent. I guess when it nosed in, it took the bell off-center from the base. Using a set of pliers, I was able to straighten it out. I've had this happen to one other similar motor (the Parkzone Corsair) and it worked just fine afterward. Here are a few photos I took tonight:

I'm going to program the different flight modes into my DX9 tomorrow. Hopefully the weather is nice and the plane flies well.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Proficiency vs Ability
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:46 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
I flew mine a couple of weeks ago when it was too windy to fly my slower planes. The Extra 300 doesn't mind the wind too much and when it's time to land it always lands at a slower speed. My flying style is usually with slower flying planes, this one always gets my adrenaline going so it's very exciting every time I fly it. Gotta love it!

FF
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:24 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,765 Posts
I will repair mine one more time and then switch to the model I bought at the LHS. Brand new Extra without a scratch on it. The other plan is to turn the old one into a camera ship as the glue weight is pretty intense.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 29, 2015, 04:58 PM
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
Extending the wings on the Parkzone 300

There are a lot of comments about the wings of this plane. I bought a second set of wings with the strip of reinforcing on top but there was no improvement with tip stall (sudden roll)in tight fast turns or loops. Before abandoning the plane I thought I might try to increase the wing area by cutting a six inch wide segment at the root of one wing and adding this to the root end of a complete wing. I would align the wing segments with the wing tube and glue them together. The wing tube would be replaced with a longer one. By doing this on both sides, the wing span would increase from 40.6 to 52.6 inches and the wing area from approximately 320 to 430 sq. inches. To illustrate, here is a touched up photo. To take it further, I could reduce the wing span a bit by cutting the ends off this arrangement, but still keep the wing area around 400 sq. inches. I would like to know your thoughts on this idea.

Name: PKZ Extra 300 with wider wings.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 150.5 KB
Description:

Thank you

Creative RC
Creative RC is offline Find More Posts by Creative RC
Last edited by Creative RC; Today at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:29 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,672 Posts
Sounds interesting, Creative. I'd like to see how it flies. Increasing the wing area should definitely help it be more floaty.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Proficiency vs Ability
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,400 Posts
Indeed, the Extra is a tad bit too heavy for its size so it should definitely help. Without getting rid of the "sudden wing stall" issue I've mellowed it quite a bit by limiting elevator travel input (doesn't seem to hurt manoeuvrability that much) and an elevator to aileron mix which I can turn on and off ("snap flap" : the ailerons both go down by a bit - not too much not so as not to hurt roll capability - when the elevator goes up and vice-versa). The wings benefit from momentary increase in lift in tight manoeuvers and this mostly cures the sudden stall, with that I have no issue pulling square loops or triangle-shaped loops.

As a matter of fact I've started my 2015 flying season two weeks ago by dusting off the Extra. Having finally put an ESC back in (I stole the Extra's to upgrade the Sport Cub last year) and installed larger wheels for better ground handling (took a spare set of wheels for my Calmato ST EP1400) it was a pleasure to be back at the sticks.
The first flight was a bit hairy (too windy, and CG had shifted backwards as my new ESC was lighter than the one I was using up until now) but I was soon back in business. Love this plane.
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Today, 02:55 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
A while back I did something similar to what RyoOhki did to his except I added some flapperon to mine with about 5* on switch position 1 and 10* on sw pos 2 for the purpose of adding a little camber. I noticed when I first took mine from it's box that the wings had no noticeable washout so I realized the probability of a tip stall if flown too slow so I've always landed it with plenty of airspeed so that it makes a wheel landing instead of a 3-point landing. Also, flying from a grass runway with those time wheels is practically impossible because of flip-overs on landings so again as RyoOhki has done, I leave off the wheel pants and put on 2 3/4" wheels when flying off grass.
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch