SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:44 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Cheek
Joined Mar 2015
4 Posts
Discussion
Does Anyone Still Manufacture New 1/2A Engines?

Hello all,

I am 47 years old and decided to take up building and flying control line airplanes. I have not flown them as a teenager. Finding a new Guillows balsa model brought back old memories. I have ordered several Cox .049 engines from Cox International in Canada. After doing some research this week I read about the fate of Cox. My question is this. Is there anyone who still makes .049 or other 1/2 A engines for control line airplanes? I have a feeling I have picked a hobby that has a short live span. None the less I am here for the duration. I know about the several companies that are using old stock Cox parts. Thank you for your answers.
Ed Cheek is offline Find More Posts by Ed Cheek
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,081 Posts
There were so many engines made that there will be enough for our lifetime I guess. Cox engines are no longer made, but parts are being made and they assembly new engines from the large stock of piston and cylinders that they have (as I have understood it).

But engines are also still being made by Brodak, NV (former Norvel), MP Jet (.061) and PAW (only diesels) to name a few.
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge
Rudders are overrated
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
130 Posts
NV engines may be your best bet. From what I understand, they out class most Cox engines easily. Although I have no experience with PAW, which are supposedly great little diesel screamers
The_LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:31 AM
Joined Mar 2015
4 Posts
That sounds great. I ordered several Cox engines. I plan to modify some Guillows kits to use control line. I also plan to get into RC as well. I am looking forward to this hobby. Thank you for your answers. Anyone else who has information to share please keep posting. As I am a newcomer into model flying I am very interested in what you have to say.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,728 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. AP makes an .09 and .15 that is well priced as well. A bit hard to find a dealer with stock, but they are still being made. Many electric foamies and ARFs can be converted for RC as well.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Joined Dec 2007
1,553 Posts
You can also source AP .049 and .12 I have bought both new in the last yr. from a Aussie site.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by 049flyer
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
146 Posts
Ed:

As previously memtioned, there are plenty of Cox engines out there, probably in the millions. With spare parts from Bernie at Cox International it's easy to fix up any you find and keep them in good running condition.

One problem you may not have considered yet is fuel. These little jewels like nitro and castor oil in almost equal amounts! I run 25% nitro and 22% oil most of it castor, mixed from RC car fuel. The newer 1/2a fuel from Tower Hobbies is supposed to be good too.

As far as smiles per dollar, the Cox engines are hard to beat! There is a bit of a learning curve in figuring out how to make them run reliably but if you like to tinker, ask questions on message boards like this one, and don't mind watching a few youtube videos, you'll soon have it figured out.

One tip I would offer is try to avoid the tanked engines. They can be made to run well but I think it is much easier to get a consistant run from a Surestart with an external tank. I think the tanks and their internal plumbing were the source of 90% of all my early problems with 1/2a engines.
049flyer is offline Find More Posts by 049flyer
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,728 Posts
The little O ring and the gasket were problems. I like the TD as far as the Cox brand is concerned, as well as the .15 Conquest, both of which are hard to get parts for. I wouldn't thank you for a reedy myself, but still have a bunch in case I change my mind.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:51 AM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
146 Posts
Stick the Surestart backplate on your reedie, mount an external tank and it will be a whole new engine. Easy to start, consistant runs, and the power of a Black Widow! Add a high compression head and you are somewhere between the Black Widow and TD in power!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2015
4 Posts
Great and much appreciated advice on the Cox engines and fuel. I did not know these things. This is the kind of thing I would like to learn from the folks who have experience. Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:29 PM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
146 Posts
Ed:

I have had GREAT luck with Cox .049 Surestart engines and Norvel .061 engines. The Norvel engines often have good throttles, a muffler and output more power, but they cost almost 3X more than the Cox engines. There ARE throttle options for Cox engines but they aren't as elegant and are more of an afterthought. I haven't tried a Cox engine with a throttle so I can't comment on their effectiveness. However I DO have a blast just running them wide open on control line planes, 2 channel RC jobs and gliders. I have a buddy with a 3 channel .020 pee wee powered plane that throttles great and is a real crowd pleaser when he does a touch and go!

Props: For fast planes (RC orCL)a Cox 5 X 3 Gray is a great prop, for slow planes like gliders an APC 6 x 2 works well, for control line I like the APC 5.7 X 3 or a plain old Cox 6 x 3.

I've been modeling for about 45 years and still love playing with the little Cox engines, I always take a couple of Cox powered planes out to the field with the rest of my planes, something just to toss into the air. There is something about that little beastie screaming on the snout of a 10 oz pylon racer that gets my blood boiling! Sometimes I start the day flying my Cox powered planes and forget about everything else in the car! A whole day of fun for the price of a cup of fuel!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,590 Posts
Don't overlook electric power for small RC models. Small brushless outrunner motors, speed controls and lipo packs and small, light RC gear are now easily available at beginner friendly prices. Check out Pat's Custom Models. Many of these models could also be adapted to 1/2A power:

http://www.patscustom-models.com/
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by Bob Jablonski
Joined Mar 2015
36 Posts
The K&B folks have some Fuji .049 motors. There not cheap though.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Bob Jablonski is offline Find More Posts by Bob Jablonski
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by xplaneguy
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
3,127 Posts
Cyclone .061

I saw my first Cyclon .061 on an F1P glider at Lost Hills, CA on Saturday. Impressive engine!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by perttime
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,448 Posts
There's a pretty steady supply of small engines (but not quite .049 small) in Europe and especially Eastern Europe. I believe people have had good experiences with these:

http://www.clubtamaran.com/Parra.htm (Canary Islands, a couple of engine models with lots of options)
http://www.technohobby.com.ua/online-shop/en/engines (Ukraine/Russia, dealer/distributor for several brands)
Not cheap, though, as production runs are not all that big and many models are made with high performance in mind
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime