SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2014, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
295 Posts
Discussion
FMS P-47 Balls Out 800mm v.2

I just bought this plane as a Christmas present to myself, LOL. I have been having trouble finding much info on this plane, as far as user reviews and such. I was hoping to find other folks who have this plane, and are flying it, to learn a bit about it's flight characteristics before I take it out for it's maiden flight.

I also recently acquired my first real Tx, as most of my early planes were all RTF planes. So I bought a DX6i, and have been using it to fly my UM Trojan T-28. For that plane I set my D/R Low Rate setting to 80% on my aileron, 95% elevator, and 90% rudder - all 3 Expo settings are at 10%. My Travel Adjustment settings are at 95% ailerons. These settings allow my UM T-28 to fly with no problems. I did add a small amount of weight to it's nose (3.5 grams).

So now, I want to set my new FMS P-47 800mm up for flight, but I am not sure about it's Tx settings. The manual on the plane says that the Low Rate settings for the ailerons should be set at 6mm up/down - they don't give you a percentage setting. So I am assuming that this means 6mm when it moves up - from top of wing to top of aileron surface….seems so slight. And they say 10mm for High Rates. It should be noted the ailerons can move way beyond that…which I guess would crash the plane if not set properly. I have also heard this plane needs some added nose weight. I am using a 1300 battery on this.

Anyway, if you are flying this plane I would like some advice and tips about getting this flight ready. Things you've run into along the way….transmitter settings, etc. Any help would be appreciated at all. Thanks!!!
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2014, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
477 Posts
You could probably get answers in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659798. All of my 800mm warbirds need very little control throws, especially elevator. Use the recommended throws even if they don't seem like they are enough. Just dial down the % in your radio till you get the amount of throw they say. I don't have the p-47 but I would think you should be able to get cg right with a 1300. I use 2s1000's and 3s850's in mine with no added weight. I have Trojan, fw190, bf109, hellcat, and tempest.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2014
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceinvader View Post
I don't have the p-47 but I would think you should be able to get cg right with a 1300.
I'm hoping you're right. The 1300 battery fits snugly into the nose because of the large foam tab on the front of the cockpit piece that pushes the battery as far forward as it can go.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 04:57 AM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
477 Posts
Again, check out that other thread. Some of those guys have done everything imaginable to the 800 birds. Also keep in mind that these planes do not like to fly slow and they will land hot.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2014
295 Posts
Quote:
Also keep in mind that these planes do not like to fly slow and they will land hot.
Really?? Well, the reason I bought this particular 800mm P-47 was because it appeared to me to fly alot slower than many of the other 800mm warbirds that I've seen videos of on YouTube. In fact, on this video here at MotionRC, they fly this thing in for landing nice and slow and belly land her with no damage at all. This video was a huge selling point for me. I'll be hand-launching this bird! I fly on a field with no asphalt, so anything with wheels is irrelevant for me at this time (maybe when I get into flying bigger warbirds that can handle the bumpy grass terrain):

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-47-v2-...an-pnp/#videos

I purposely did NOT buy this version of the P-47 because I knew it was too fast for my liking, and would be problematic at my skill level:

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-47d-ra...-wingspan-pnp/
Old Dec 29, 2014, 02:29 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
477 Posts
If you are belly-landing, you will be fine. These planes have high wing loading so you will have to keep a little speed on turns. Out of 40+ planes, I only have 2 that I belly land and one of them is the 800mm Trojan (constantly fixing the nose gear so I gave up). I'm lucky enough to have pavement to take off/land on. Have fun!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Mar 2014
295 Posts
Quote:
These planes have high wing loading so you will have to keep a little speed on turns. Out of 40+ planes, I only have 2 that I belly land and one of them is the 800mm Trojan (constantly fixing the nose gear so I gave up)...
Yeah, I'll be careful on the turns. My rates will be set low enough so that my turns will be big and wide, with plenty of power going around them.

And hey, that's good news to hear about the 800mm T-28, because I bought my 84 year-old Dad that plane for Christmas, and he's prepping it for flying now. We got the CG balanced on it nicely by adding 21 grams of weight back towards the tail end. The thing was really nose heavy! I think he had some issues with the screws for the wings, and bought some new screws for it today. We'll see...