New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2015, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,264 Posts
Mei Ling—aeromodelling Legend!

My experiences, and those of my modelling mates over the past few years have led to the hypothesis that a single, brilliant but capricious person is responsible for all the strange combinations of alien technology that beset our modelling efforts.
Please meet and welcome Mei Ling, aeromodelling legend.
Mei Ling has a very wide skill set, and a wicked sense of humour.
She it is who chooses a completely different collection of screws, mounting dimensions, spline count and diameter and servo arms on all our servos.
She also designs and applies the stickers on our foamies, that resist all attempts to remove them, then start to shred and disintegrate after the first flight.
A couple of recent examples might help to get us started:
A newcomer modelling friend purchased a nice Bushmaster from HK, plug and fly. Mei Ling had cleverly applied huge stickers over all flying and control surfaces, bridging all the hinge gaps—nothing could move, and a flap servo burnt out trying, as soon as he applied power.
I bought a neat little Slope Ryder wing to play with; came complete with ballast tubes and metal ballast slugs. Bewdy! Discovered while setting up and checking out the ballast that Mei Ling had given me ten slugs: five steel as advertised, weight 56gm, and five alubloodyminium, weight 20gm!
Has anyone else detected examples of this true legend's genius in action?
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by Curare
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,484 Posts
This kind of crap really gets my goat.

You wanna know the truth? Mei Ling gets paid about 20c an hour. She works 12 hour shifts with the smell of glue in her nostrils all day. She is one about 60-100 people in a production line that don't talk, they just work. And work some more.

Most of these workers come from the countryside to make enough money to feed their families in the poorest regions of china and know as much about modelling as you do about them.

The audacity to get up Mei-ling becuase she misapplied a decal, to your $5 pissweak toy aeroplane frankly shocks and irritates me.

They do all this so you can call yourself a modeller, when truly you're just box-opener.

Spend a day applying 20000 decals to foam models for rich westerners for bugger all pay, and then see if you care where you stick it.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Sep 14, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,907 Posts
+1... first world problems!

If you have bought a composite model from china you would probably see another side to this. The skillset involved is amazing, from the cad design and manufacturing to the molding and assembly. All from people who are probably getting a tiny salary.

So when you get annoyed that a decal is out of place, or a servo is stuck in crooked, there's no doubt 1000 more people there with knowledge and skills that far surpass your own and are willing to work for a tenth of what you earn now.

Kind've puts it into perspective huh
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Sep 15, 2015, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by airtimeasto
There is only DS
Joined Aug 2008
1,461 Posts
Quit being such a tight ass and buy local if think you can get better. Or if your a real modeler build your own planes. Lol
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Sep 16, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by MartinL
Joined Oct 2000
1,235 Posts
The world is getting small, future for Oz children looks bleak if we think we can command high pay with mediocrity products. We need a new medium with Oz salary. Look around your house, what % is made in Oz????
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL