SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:53 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2005
258 Posts
Discussion
Where the @#^%$ is Cardiac Hill...?

Yesterday/Sunday, and Bill, Jim & I are looking for a "park-n-fly" place to fly for Santa Ana conditions. Jims got health challanges with his legs, and hiking isn't an option.

Jim finds Cardiac Hill in rcgroups and pulls directions. there's a few pictures & even film clips of a RAD pss cobra & mini Blade flying there recently. We load up and follow directions to hills on the back side of Lake Perris - we live in Huntington 'Beach, near the coast.

Down Davis road we go (a dirt road), find a locked gate with a dirt road continueing on it's left side, followed it another 1/2 mile to where it dead ended. Big, ROCKY hill on our right, but no park-n-fly in site.

A local gives us directions around a large pond to the other side of a horse training ranch. We come across a powered field and continue on, thru a bit of a canyon, to the horse ranch. The dirt road has a small, shallow drop off into the ranch & horse arenas. This can't be it, can it?!?

We figure not, and end up driving back home, day wasted.

So, WHERE THE #$%&%*&%^ IS CARDIAC HILL?!?!
What did we miss? How high is the low launch & how far off the road is it?

Compelling questions to a group of lost pilots cruising the Inland Empire is search of a place to throw their crunchies into the wild blue!
wylchyl is offline Find More Posts by wylchyl
Last edited by wylchyl; Mar 05, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:02 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
I don't think it is what you'd call a "park and fly" site. Never flown there, but I understand that you start at the base of the hill and hike up to the launch point. I also understand that it is possible to launch from the base of the hill, but even then I think you have a bit of a trek from the car. PM TFLG, he flew his Cobra there recently...probably the vid you are talking about.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:28 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,233 Posts
Yea, park and toss is not what you would call that place. It's called CARDIAC for a reason. Cus after climbing to the top you feel as though your gonna die!

You were it the right place you just drove too far down the dirt road. You stop at the big pile of trash that some low life has dumped (old couches and stuff). Then look west and there is a BIG bowl shaped hill strewn with huge boulders and other fun obstacles. That is Cardiac!. You walk about 500 yards from where you park the car to the back of the bowl. Then you climb the hill and fly.

Take a look at this tread and you can see where we fly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=cardiac
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
Here are some maps and aerial photos:

Heading to Cardiac Hill

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:06 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2005
258 Posts
Holy Cow! I remeber the matching recliner couch & chair off the side of the dirt road. And from the pictures, I recognize the buildings in the middle of that huge dirt field - like an oasis in the middle of a desert! We were right there - what a bummer

But you're right, a 500 yard hike, even on flat ground would have been shakey at best for Jim. Still, it looks like you guys were launching pss style planes into the air at the bottom, so the hill's gotta have a killer lift band! I probably would have had a blast with my Sharp Wind or my Mini SR!

Oh well...

But thanks for the link & pictures - live n learn!

wylchyl is offline Find More Posts by wylchyl
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:52 PM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,463 Posts
It is the weirdest place. You can sit in the bowl, almost feels like no wind is blowing, and then launch. You hit the point on the left (facing the hill) and POOF! it is like magic! you go up up and more up. Then turn and as TFLG's video shows, start screaming though the bowl! I have flown there cooking along, and could hear the servos moving!

C
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski