HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:21 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Lobby Crash Sale

Regarding the Hobby Lobby Crash Sale, what is your overrall opinion? I have purchased numerous things from HL. I like the company and their service. I purchased the telemaster 6' version which was awesome and I am enjoying building it. I also purchased the revo heli and the scorpio hell cat all great. I was fairly unimpressed with the pigi deal today. An ep foram plane for 100.00 doesn't sound like any bargain to me and if they lowered it to 70.00, that seems like a normal sale. Actually, I was finally totally uninterested in one of their crash sales. Anybody have any thoughts as to what they would like to see on the crash sale and for what price? Me, I need a gyro for the revo and a 6 channel radio!!
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:18 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Something that is not "garage" sale. Everything they put up has been discontinued product. It's a clever way to generate a buzz and get rid of old inventory.
JimH is online now Find More Posts by JimH
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,938 Posts
I believe it's also a fairly big plane, as foamies go.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:00 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
I like everything about the format of the crash sale.

I enjoy the anticipation of waiting to see what is posted on Tuesday evening. The prices are extremely good, if it is an item your are interested in. So far, the only item I've purchased is the FW190 from last week. If there is an item I really need to complete a project, I buy it. I don't think waiting for an item to show up on the crash sale is the intent, more for impulse purchases that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. It is a great way for HL to liquidate inventory that otherwise would have wasted away on a shelf.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:03 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
I like the "crash" sale! So far I have only purchased the 8' Telemaster Senior, and it's a great model. I don't think it's been discontinued, as it is still available on their website. They may have been overstocked on it. Under $130. is a good deal for an ARF of that size and quality.

After all, you don't have to bite on their weekly offering, and occasionally they may have something you can't live without at a great price.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:21 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
True. I do like the crash sales. I just wasn't overly impressed with today's. The 6' telemaster I purchased is awesome, I'm building it now and I have the first scorpio in my closed awaiting the time to work on it as well as the heli awaiting as well. I'm still hoping for an upgrade transmitter like the optic or maybe a head holding gyro!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:39 AM
1/2 of the fun is crashin
Joined Dec 2005
113 Posts
I dont like this Crash sale.... I think it keeps on Jinxing me as every tue I fly... I crash
Cliddy is offline Find More Posts by Cliddy
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:47 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Sorry to hear that but can't blame the sale. What are you doing that's making you crash? Do you fly much? Are you familiar with CG, batts. weights, pre flight checks etc>?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:01 PM
1/2 of the fun is crashin
Joined Dec 2005
113 Posts
Well I never fly on tue but I did a few weeks ago and I crash. Had the day of work.

Yes I am very fimilar with all of that. I just Had my TX set the the worng model so all my trim, conrtoll were the wrong way... opps
Cliddy is offline Find More Posts by Cliddy
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:29 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliddy
Well I never fly on tue but I did a few weeks ago and I crash. Had the day of work.

Yes I am very fimilar with all of that. I just Had my TX set the the worng model so all my trim, conrtoll were the wrong way... opps
So then it was pilot error and not the crash sale! LOL
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:36 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondo
Sorry to hear that but can't blame the sale. What are you doing that's making you crash? Do you fly much? Are you familiar with CG, batts. weights, pre flight checks etc>?
Man, you heard of a joke...?
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Feb 22, 2006, 01:18 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimole
Man, you heard of a joke...?
I'm sorry, jokes require a sense of humor. No just kidding, I didn't realize he or you were joking. That's fine. Have a great day.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
I think it's good, as long as you don't get too excited about it.

As someone else said, it is a clever way to get rid of excess inventory for one reason or another. It could also be used to generate a buzz about something, especially here. (since Hobby-Lobby is the main sponsor of this site)

When I look at their Crash Sale, I feel like I should buy it, because it is "discounted more deeply than a normal sale item." Now that they have been going for a few weeks, I have no problems resisting them. The Pigi is one ugly SOB, in my opinion. It seems good for what it is designed for; a rugged 3D plane. I'm not in the market for one, so I don't care.

I tried one of their $20 Yak-55 profile planes; discovered 3D is not really for me. Fair deal, IMO.

But they do accomplish one valuable thing. I always have a look around "while I'm there" and see what else they have on sale and what is new.

I really like their Bird Dog; might get one at some point. I think their permanent banner at the top of every RCGroups page is more effective though.

One thing I point out at every opportunity is to watch out for their Combo Deals. They overprice the hell out of battery packs and ESCs (sometimes to the tune of 100%) then give you a "combo discount" which only brings it down to normal or slightly above. So don't get too lazy when you're shopping with them or they will get you!
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:53 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I agree with you Jeremy. In the beginning, I was very eager to jump on the sale, the last 2 weeks I have grown bored. The first 3 crash sales, I purchased the scorpio, the revo heli and lastly the 6'telemaster. The next 2 were kind of boring, another scorpio and this 3d foamy that in my opinion should normally sell for 69.00 and should have been discounted to 29.00 here today. Still, I guess it's just what somepeople wanted and I;'m sure they sold some today. As always, buyer beware.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:10 PM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Crash Sale

So far I am not overly impressed with what has been offered on the crash sale. Like someone said " a way to get rid of discontinued items". I guess you call that marketing though .
I have bought many Hobby Lobby products since I started RC 15 years ago, some directly from HL and some from the LHS. I do like their regular sale item page, that was until about a week ago.
So they come out with a month long sale item, the mini telemaster kit. I started my RC flying with the telemaster 40 and still have it hanging in the garage. I thought wow I might pickup the little Tele and cover it to match my old Tele 40, since I do mostly E-flying now days. Anyway I am thinking about buying it as $19.95 is a very good price for the little kit. I wait about a week go back to the site and they are out of stock and backordered. No problem I am not in a hurry but then.............. Not only are they out of stock but they jacked the price up to $24.90. It's not the $5 that bothers me so much as the principal, after all the sale was until the end of the month. Oh Well no little tele for me!
I still like HL and their product line, and I have found them to ship very fast so I will still purchase from them but was a little dissapointed in this little deception.
Volts is offline Find More Posts by Volts