HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:55 AM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
Newbie with a couple of questions.

I have been looking into RC cars. I have a slot car track, now in storage.
I have been looking at the Traxxas Slash 1/16. What are your thoughts for beginners?
I was also looking at the ECX Torment for my daughter (10), after reading reviews, I don't like the sound of the batt. charge time.
I was wonder if it would be wise to buy a good batt charger for the Torment or go with two Slash?

After buying the cars what should be the next purchase? (extra batts are a giving! )

Are there any other cars/trucks I might have over looked in the 100-200 range? Will be running out doors, In New England weather. On a dirt driveway.
crispy2104 is offline Find More Posts by crispy2104
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:06 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Welcome. Seems like you've done some research, good job.

A better charger is recommended for about any car, a bundle charger is usually a slow, basic, non-versatile unit. Get at least a B6 charger, these come in a lot of shapes and prices, but are mostly based on the same design. Beware of some cheap clones though, when in doubt, just ask if a charger is reliable.

Reading this thread might also help you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1961030

Generally, a 1/10 will be able to handle more terrain than a 1/16 and be easier to work on, as everything is bigger. If you do want a smaller car, but without sacrificing performance, take a look at the Losi Mini 8ight or Lc Racing EMB series, also known as the Tacon Soar. These are 1/14 scale, but with slighty oversized wheels, also very capable. A little too fast for a beginner maybe, although a smaller car is less likely to get damaged, as there is less mass involved, and kids do learn fast.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 16, 2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:43 PM
I Am a Proud Registered User
United States, MA, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2012
219 Posts
just saying im in New England too. I love our terrain, just not too fond of it for rcs. i mean where im at its okay. but no areas to crawl, which i wanna get into, and no good tracks near ,me whether rc tracks nor bmx/atv tracks. and well Welcome to the rc world. be careful its viral and only known cure is more rcs
mass flyer is offline Find More Posts by mass flyer
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:43 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
The Torment would be an excellent choice. They are very tough trucks, and speed is just about perfect for learning on. My 6 year old nephew loves mine and after a few battery packs he had the controls down quite well.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:46 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass flyer View Post
just saying im in New England too. I love our terrain, just not too fond of it for rcs. i mean where im at its okay. but no areas to crawl, which i wanna get into, and no good tracks near ,me whether rc tracks nor bmx/atv tracks. and well Welcome to the rc world. be careful its viral and only known cure is more rcs
If all you have is bmx tracks and that kind of terrain I might go with a bigger truck. A 1/10 scale Traxxas Rustler or Slash. You can get parts easily for almost any Traxxas vehicle. The ECX is a pretty good truck I would just make sure you can get parts for it. If your out in the country and have to drive to get parts or get them online it can slow your fun down a bit. The only cure for R/C sadly is not more equipment, I'm at 13 Cars/Trucks and counting at least 7 planes and one boat.It just gets worse the longer your in it
mredzadventure is online now Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:15 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,863 Posts
^^ Agreed, and to be clear I was suggesting the 1/10 Torment not the mini version. I would definitely recommend a 1/10 rig for running outdoors on a dirt driveway.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
I was looking at the 1/16 scale mainly because its smaller. Right now I have a cool landlord that doesn't mind ripping up the driveway, he might even let me build a small track on the side of the field. But if I have to move?

I can also run it at work. (Work 3rd at a private airport) In the summer i can run it outside plenty off room! In the winter I can run it in the hanger if small enough.
Maybe Ill go 1/10 for the trucks and get a 1/18 or 1/16 car for winter.
Last edited by crispy2104; Jan 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:06 PM
United States, AL, Gurley
Joined Jan 2014
33 Posts
For beginners I usually recommend a brushless system, because brushed motors need breaking in and regular maintenance, whereas brushless motors are maint free. If to much power is an issue most brushless systems have training mode where it runs at 50% power.

I have a Traxxas 1/16 Slash VXL and a Losi mini 8ight and I would have to say between the two the Losi is a much better machine with aluminum and steel in all the key locations where the Traxxas is all plastic. However, for someone buying their first hobby grade rc I will have to recommend Traxxas. All hobby grade rc require regular maint and repairs from abuse and very often beginners have a hard time finding the specific information they're looking for. That's where Traxxas shines, customer service and the forum on their website. On their forum you can find out everything there is to know about any Traxxas model. You get a quick response and helpful answers. But for me, I'll take the Losi.
Dr.Ripp is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Ripp
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:54 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass flyer View Post
I thought there were lots of tracks up in the north, especially up in Boston and Nashua. Down here in Rhode island there's an outdoor track near the Seekonk border. Only one...

Hey crispy are you near Nashua. Rcbuyers warehouse usually has some pretty nice deals and they could help you out on deciding what to get. Last time I was there they had a 1/10 torment for 180 bucks.
Barracuz is online now Find More Posts by Barracuz
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
I'm 2 1/2 hr away from Nashua. I use to buy my slot cars from 106 raceway in Pembroke, I haven't been in a few years. I know they use to race little go-karts and those mini bikes. They sell both electric cars, gas, and nitro. I'm not sure about racing them.
Old Mar 01, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
Well...... I went down to my LHS. End up walking out with 2 Traxxas Rustler.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 07:45 PM
(:
Joined Mar 2014
36 Posts
Try the traxxas slash, its waterproof and runs great on really any terrain. Pretty good for starters I would say.
jakesrc is offline Find More Posts by jakesrc
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
Thank you guys. You have all been very helpful. I went down to my LHS. I was talking to him about the ECX and Traxxas. I showed him pics of the snow melting in my driveway and a few other spots. He said with out a doubt Traxxas for the water proof features. End up with Two Rustlers. They only had one slash, I could tell my daughter want the same car. Just a dif color.

Next on the list are extra batts and an air compresser (cleaning).

SoloProFan: That blog you wrote was very helpfull. I Printed it out. Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:44 PM
plane wrecker
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
Congrats with your new vehicles!

As for tracks, there is a nice track in Fitchburg, MA - R/C Excitment
R/C Madness in nothern CT near Springfield MA (south)
There is also a nice track/hobby store in southern Maine, I don't remember the name but there was a huge race there last year.
There are others around, you just have to find them, but nothing beats the driveway or local dirt pit.

For upgrades, it depends on how crazy you want to get with your trucks. For something simple I've always like different whells/tires for different terrain, different springs, and a different body.

Just my 0.02
sweakyboot is offline Find More Posts by sweakyboot
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:55 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Glad to help and good luck with the cars.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan