HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:47 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
Wow just about any pz gb plane would get an improvement with this setup - maybe use a dbl size lipo for longer runtimes. Can think of several candidates for this power upgrade/

Champ
Sky500
Playmate
HK Wright
Micro Alula
list goes on and on

EDIT: $35 upgrade is a little steep per plane especially if doesn't need it but replacing stock combo is just a few dollars less.
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Jul 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Nice. Can you measure the rpm?
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:42 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
Wow just about any pz gb plane would get an improvement with this setup - maybe use a dbl size lipo for longer runtimes. Can think of several candidates for this power upgrade/

Champ
Sky500
Playmate
HK Wright
list goes on and on

EDIT: $35 upgrade is a little steep per plane especially if doesn't need it but replacing stock combo is just a few dollars less.
I dont think the motors need to be glued in to the gearbox, so slide the motor into the plane you want to fly, then slide it out when you're finished
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I'll get rpm's today.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:04 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
clarification

so the 4:1 is the stock pinion from the 8mm brushed motor? heat up pry off, heat up slide on, kinda thing?

Are the shaft sizes of 8mm brushed and 7.8mm brushless motors the same?

Edit: ASK 21 with powered sky500 folding prop would be doable with this combo!
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,802 Posts
Quote:
clarification

so the 4:1 is the stock pinion from the 8mm brushed motor? heat up pry off, heat up slide on, kinda thing?
4:1 is the gear ratio - motor spins 4 times : propeller shaft spins once

You need a 9t (t is for tooth) pinion to suit a 1mm shaft. Im not sure if the stock pinion would fit, and it will be tricky to remove from the brushed motor without a pinion puller. the mCPX 9t pinion should be a direct fit, or hobbyking sells pinions too (but they may be poor quality), heat it up and push it on. If it looks like it will be a loose fit use a bit of JB weld, CA, or locktite to hold it on

Quote:
clarification

Are the shaft sizes of 8mm brushed and 7.8mm brushless motors the same?
Brushed motor is 8.5mm and the BL is 8mm. Not entirely sure if the shafts are the same size though
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
191 Posts
Voltage

The helicopter that the BL tail rotor motor comes from is a 2S machine. Will not running in on half the voltage that it was designed for (1S) result in poor efficiency?
Someone who knows more about electric motors can tell us just what the trade offs are.
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:06 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Great work, guys! I can see a pair of these in my Mossie - along with an AS3X brick.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:08 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
The brushed and brushless motors both have 1mm diameter shafts.

A brushless motor is only as good as the load it can take. If at 4V that load is maximum, it's working as hard as it can and so is at maximum efficiency.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:17 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Great work, guys! I can see a pair of these in my Mossie - along with an AS3X brick.

Joel
Just remember that there is no ch1 output on the AS3X bricks, despite there being a 3pin plug You'll need to plug the ESCs into the signal wire from the xport and mix the xport with throttle. PITA I know, but I tried everything to get it to work, but to no avail
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:25 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Just remember that there is no ch1 output on the AS3X bricks, despite there being a 3pin plug You'll need to plug the ESCs into the signal wire from the xport and mix the xport with throttle. PITA I know, but I tried everything to get it to work, but to no avail
We were told in the Spitfire thread back in October that the BL firmware didn't make it on the boards even though there is the connector
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:31 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I just ordered two of them from Horizon Hobbies directly. $19.95 and in stock. $4.99 US mail shipping. Very cool. One of them will go into a 4-Site I have NIB and the other will either go in my Polecat or Spitfire. Thanks for the info and leads. I have the 3amp 1S ESCs from my previous attempts. Get them while they're in stock! (I didn't want to chance my LHS being on the end of the supply chain)
and I just got shipping confirmation so I will have them the beginning of next week!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:47 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I'll get rpm's today.
Nitro,

Very excited to see the #s!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Yeah, I know. That's actually channel 5. I can assign pretty much any function to any channel I wish on my Futaba 10CHP, so it's no big deal. A brushless AS3X-equipped Mossie would be pretty much the ultimate UM video platform. The stock Mossie is great little camera plane in calm wx. A brushless AS3X version would be the cat's meow. I've been waiting for a practical bl conversion for the Mossie ever since it first came out.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:52 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yeah, I know. That's actually channel 5. I can assign pretty much any function to any channel I wish on my Futaba 10CHP, so it's no big deal. A brushless AS3X-equipped Mossie would be pretty much the ultimate UM video platform. The stock Mossie is great little camera plane in calm wx. A brushless AS3X version would be the cat's meow. I've been waiting for a practical bl conversion for the Mossie ever since it first came out.

Joel
and big round Spitfire loops
RCG Plus Member