HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I think that I need to buy an XT60 connector for the bullet battery and the Deans battery. And an XT60 connector for the esc. Then everything will be XT60.
Or is this stupid?
I wouldn't say stupid... because they're just beginner questions... We've all been there. Some of us forget that sometimes.

It wouldn't be a smart move to do it that way. It will work but it leaves you with a lot of plug in connections and adapters. That's never a good idea. Simply because connectors can and do fail sometimes and the more of them you have the more there is to go wrong.

Just buy two deans sockets and some heat shrink and solder those onto your batteries, and you're good to go. without all the additional adapter gadgets.

It's a good idea to standardise things so that all your batteries for all your planes use the same type of connector. It also then means that you only need to use one type of connector on your LiPo charger.

Try and remember that multiple connections mean multiple possible places for things to fail.

Best Regards,
Peter Piper.
peterpiper is offline Find More Posts by peterpiper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:22 PM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
939 Posts
Just a heads up from my long term experiece of Fibre reinforced tapes.

I have used them over many years in a work related situation.

What I have found is they stick really well and are very strong when a tearing stress is applied.
This makes it great to reinforce and protect things like a wing or a fuse.

The down side is being a clear tape the glue is quickly effected by UV from the sun, firstly on first exposure can soften the glue and but over the long term will dry the glue and the clear part of the tape will break down.

I would not consider this type of tape for hinges.

The LHS sells hing tape or use the ones pictured a few pages back

Your tape my not be the same as I have used/use, just giving you guys a heads up what happens to the one I used over a period of time.
golf_lake is offline Find More Posts by golf_lake
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Yes, but I was thinking of standardizing on the XT60, since I have more stuff that is XT60.

I am sure that I am going to loose the little connectors on the control horns, so I want to buy some control horns and clevises.

Can anyone point me at control horns that are appropriate for the SS-V1 and clevis. I looked at all 4 pages on Hobby King but I did not see anything that I thought was appropriate. I don't think that I need carbon fiber or alloy.

Thanks,

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:29 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper View Post

It's a good idea to standardise things so that all your batteries for all your planes use the same type of connector. It also then means that you only need to use one type of connector on your LiPo charger.
+1

Best to standardize. If a battery comes with banana plugs, I cut them off and solder XT60. Little bit of work, but everything will work together - less complicated that way.
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper View Post
I wouldn't say stupid... because they're just beginner questions... We've all been there. Some of us forget that sometimes.

It wouldn't be a smart move to do it that way. It will work but it leaves you with a lot of plug in connections and adapters. That's never a good idea. Simply because connectors can and do fail sometimes and the more of them you have the more there is to go wrong.

Just buy two deans sockets and some heat shrink and solder those onto your batteries, and you're good to go. without all the additional adapter gadgets.

Try and remember that multiple connections mean multiple possible places for things to fail.

Best Regards,
Peter Piper.
" What the world needs is a new simplicity not a new complexity"
- Albert Einstein
+1. DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:50 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Amen to that brother.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:06 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Amen to that brother.
Thank you,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_lake View Post
Just a heads up from my long term experiece of Fibre reinforced tapes.

I have used them over many years in a work related situation.

What I have found is they stick really well and are very strong when a tearing stress is applied.
This makes it great to reinforce and protect things like a wing or a fuse.

The down side is being a clear tape the glue is quickly effected by UV from the sun, firstly on first exposure can soften the glue and but over the long term will dry the glue and the clear part of the tape will break down.

I would not consider this type of tape for hinges.

The LHS sells hing tape or use the ones pictured a few pages back

Your tape my not be the same as I have used/use, just giving you guys a heads up what happens to the one I used over a period of time.
Hmmm, packing tape is a generic term. 3M makes a storage tape that's UV resistant and robust to a range of temperature. It's the 3650 series Storage Tape. It is recommended for 160 mph plus Ritewings. I also use the cross weaved 3M Extreme tape. This tape doesn't like UV (like most packing tapes). I sometimes paint it. I have used the 3M Extreme tape on this scratchbuilt delta.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Yes, but I was thinking of standardizing on the XT60, since I have more stuff that is XT60.
I would agree there on XT-60. Also if you are going to just use individual pins and sockets (ESC to motor), they are 3.5 mm. you can get a bag of 10 male and female from HK.

Quote:
I am sure that I am going to loose the little connectors on the control horns, so I want to buy some control horns and clevises.
I think the things you are talking about are Linkage Stoppers. I don't use clevises as I prefer the Linkage Stoppers. Get a bag of 10 for spare, HK 0R016-001501.

Quote:
Can anyone point me at control horns that are appropriate for the SS-V1 and clevis.
HK 07-00501x10 might be OK. The bag I have here looks right for my Bixler. I usually make my own but bought these as a trial for other planes.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Thanks. I found them. Unfortunately they are back ordered. I love these guys.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:42 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
I buy all my lipos from Hobby King USA warehouse. 90% of them are XT60. It is wise to standardize your connectors to where you will buy most of your batteries.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:06 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That tape may have been glass fiber reinforced. The glass fiber will break quite easily if it is creased. You can hang a LOT of weight on that tape as long as it has not been creased, but if you bend it back on itself tightly and then yank on the ends it will break quite easily. There are tapes that use man made fiber as reinforcement which are much better for applications where it will be bending a lot or be forced into corners with a thumbnail or other high tech tool.

I have never used this one but it is an example: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glHGPN8JHNBTbl

Gord
Thanks Gord,
Appreciate the info.
Will need to order that on-line as can't seem to find it at hardware or LHS here.

Cheers.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:37 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
guys im a beginner (so go easy on me...please )

i recently received my bixler an i'm desperate to get her up in the air, in my rush i have purchased a zippy 2200 2c 7.4v lipo

will that be sufficient?

i thought they were 11.1v?

its untouched still in all of its wrappers etc as it arrived,

i'm guessing - remove washers from nose, shove the lipo as far forwards as i can an see how she balances out.

i'm going to reinforce the wings with cf rod inside the original tube too. i need the wings to be removable

ive only ever flown 3chl planes before

thanks
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:58 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
guys I'm a beginner (so go easy on me...please )
Mistakes, we all make them. Anyone want a brushed motor ESC?

Quote:
I recently received my bixler an i'm desperate to get her up in the air, in my rush i have purchased a zippy 2200 2S 7.4v lipo

will that be sufficient?

I thought they were 11.1v?
Yes, 11.1 volts for 3S and that's what you should be using. Definitely underpowered with 2S but you might be able to cruise around, gently. You'll need a good hard throw when launching to get up speed.

Quote:
i'm guessing - remove washers from nose, shove the lipo as far forwards as i can an see how she balances out.
If the battery is still too light, Velcro a washer on to the battery at the front end.

Quote:
i'm going to reinforce the wings with cf rod inside the original tube too. i need the wings to be removable
If you look at my Blog (clip on the name on the left) it shows one way of holding the wings in place. Rod in the tube sounds like what you need. Even if the rod was slightly loose it should still do the job.

Quote:
I've only ever flown 3ch planes before
So you just turn using the ailerons and elevator instead of the rudder. Virtually 3Ch flying.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:01 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
cheers Mac i will get a 3s

thats what happens when you get excited!!

how is it over in NZ? i have family over in christchurch who i keep threatening i might visit sometime.....
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007