Old Sep 05, 2015, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by Ellis2k15
Ellis
Joined Sep 2015
31 Posts
Idea
F16 1/6 Plans

I found these scale plans on: eBAY http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-16-Falco...item4aedda6a96 Which I am thinking of purchasing and using them. I don't know if this is a good idea. I am on a budget so I'll be going with a powerful 120mm EDF rather than a Turbine. I am wondering if anyone else has built a balsa/plywood F16 and would like advice on building it.

Thanks
Ellis2k15 is offline Find More Posts by Ellis2k15
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by SEMP001
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2015
305 Posts
Plans

Those plans look like the f-16 plans that were on RCM 20 years ago. Probably the same ones, just re-scaled up. The $18 isn't a bad price, but you better have some experience on scratch building. The set I got I used to just to make a plug and fiberglass mold for the fuse. I also scaled them down and built a 2 of them. They flew very good with glow 4" ducted fan. The original was powered with a Turbax or Dynamax fan unit.
SEMP001 is offline Find More Posts by SEMP001
Old Sep 05, 2015, 09:17 AM
Ellis
Joined Sep 2015
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMP001 View Post
Those plans look like the f-16 plans that were on RCM 20 years ago. Probably the same ones, just re-scaled up. The $18 isn't a bad price, but you better have some experience on scratch building. The set I got I used to just to make a plug and fiberglass mold for the fuse. I also scaled them down and built a 2 of them. They flew very good with glow 4" ducted fan. The original was powered with a Turbax or Dynamax fan unit.
Do you have any idea how much thrust I would need?!?
Old Sep 05, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
7,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis2k15 View Post
I found these scale plans on: eBAY http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-16-Falco...item4aedda6a96 Which I am thinking of purchasing and using them. I don't know if this is a good idea. I am on a budget so I'll be going with a powerful 120mm EDF rather than a Turbine. I am wondering if anyone else has built a balsa/plywood F16 and would like advice on building it.

Thanks
I've got NIB Y/A F-16 kit I'll sell you for for $1200.00 + shipping
with , all gear , wheels, brakes and all door cylinders

http://yellowaircraft.webs.com/mako.htm
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Sep 06, 2015, 09:22 AM
Ellis
Joined Sep 2015
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
I've got NIB Y/A F-16 kit I'll sell you for for $1200.00 + shipping
with , all gear , wheels, brakes and all door cylinders

http://yellowaircraft.webs.com/mako.htm
No thanks I'm only 14 and don't have that kind of money but thanks for the offer I will most probably not use scale retracts.
Old Sep 07, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,490 Posts
ok to get the p,ans for later or scale, but best to start smaller to learn proper construction, assembly, and finish techniques before committing to a bigger, heavier, and mor expensive airframe. to say nothing of becoming proficient flying and landing the type.

I'd recoomend scaling down to a 48" sized model for 70mm fan and start there.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Sep 07, 2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,490 Posts
also a good chance to learn how to use build materials. Most earlier plans use heavy building for glow (ply formers etc). You will want to substitute light materials like depron/balsa sandwich for formers etc. you willalso need to acquire the proper tools ( dremel etc)

Ther is a lot of good info in the scratch build section as well.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Sep 07, 2015, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by SEMP001
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2015
305 Posts
The way I would do it is to pic the EDF unit you want to user. Calculate the Fan swept area. Multiply that by 1.5. Take that number and use it to set the intake area. Now use that area to scale the size of the plane. Don't worry about the thrust. Since it's an EDF you will get more than I did. The 4" fan unit I made produced about 6 lb's thrust. You can make the model smaller, but you will need a cheater hole. Personally I wouldn't that. It really depends on the EDF unit your going to use as far as performance. The good thing is, since the plane is scratch built out of wood, you can make any size you want. After you figure out the size, take the plans to Kinkos, tell them them the scale you want and have them print 2 sets. Use one set to cut out the parts and the other to build. You will have to re-size the wood based on the scale. Have fun, you will love doing it.

QUOTE=Ellis2k15;32610555]Do you have any idea how much thrust I would need?!?[/QUOTE]
SEMP001 is offline Find More Posts by SEMP001
Old Sep 08, 2015, 10:55 AM
Ellis
Joined Sep 2015
31 Posts
[QUOTE=SEMP001;32628959]The way I would do it is to pic the EDF unit you want to user. Calculate the Fan swept area. Multiply that by 1.5. Take that number and use it to set the intake area. Now use that area to scale the size of the plane. Don't worry about the thrust. Since it's an EDF you will get more than I did. The 4" fan unit I made produced about 6 lb's thrust. You can make the model smaller, but you will need a cheater hole. Personally I wouldn't that. It really depends on the EDF unit your going to use as far as performance. The good thing is, since the plane is scratch built out of wood, you can make any size you want. After you figure out the size, take the plans to Kinkos, tell them them the scale you want and have them print 2 sets. Use one set to cut out the parts and the other to build. You will have to re-size the wood based on the scale. Have fun, you will love doing it.

Thanks that will help alot when it comes to building it
Old Sep 08, 2015, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by SteveC68
Oh Yeah!
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,658 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=8

Free plans!
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Sep 08, 2015, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
7,986 Posts
--you stated--
Quote:
I'm only 14 and don't have that kind of money but thanks for the offer I will most probably not use scale retracts.
you have got some good advice and some really poor advice also. Especially about FSA .. See post #8!
As for FSA , go to SteveC68's blog page and download his FSA Calc . A great tool--I use it all the time.

I would suggest you scrap the idea of scratch build any thing for now- You don't have the building skills yet, and sure not enough money.
Your biting of more than you can chew. ....

Buy yourself an inexpensive foamy to start off with. And start doing some reading and research on different fans. There all not the same--
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Sep 11, 2015, 02:55 PM
Ellis
Joined Sep 2015
31 Posts
I already have a 70mm Harrier and a little electric prop plane which I am learning to fly from. Do you think this edf http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...watt_12s_.html is sufficient for the f-16 I'm not actually sure whether this will produce 8kg of thrust on a 12s
Old Sep 11, 2015, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by SteveC68
Oh Yeah!
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,658 Posts
Quote:
I already have a 70mm Harrier and a little electric prop plane which I am learning to fly from. Do you think this edf http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...watt_12s_.html is sufficient for the f-16 I'm not actually sure whether this will produce 8kg of thrust on a 12s
For the $322 that fan costs you could get a real fan that actually would produce 8kg thrust without blowing up.

http://shop.ejets.at/OShop/ViewProdu...a&OShopLANG=en

Plus the appropriate HET motor on 12s.

http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=337

Typhoon 800-68-685
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Sep 11, 2015, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by A10pilot
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2006
1,991 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Ellis:
In looking at the plans they appear to be some plans that were drawn by Josh Harel (here in the U.S.) back in the early 1990's. Josh was concerned that some people that bought the plans were selling them on the internet without his permission so he has allowed me to give the plans to anyone on RCG that wants a set. The plans, as I said, are free. Josh designed three planes, He designed an A-10 with 120 inch span, an F-16 that is 91 inches long and an F-9F Panther that has a wing span of about 90 inches. He offered the plans for sale and many sets were sold. Back in 1993 four of us from Denver Colorado each built one of the A-10's. The planes flew well so I believe that the F-16 or the F9F Panther would both fly well. The planes were designed around Josh's 8 inch diameter ducted fan.

With regards to the thrust I think you would have to have about 16-20 lbs. of thrust to make the plane fly well. However, you might consider taking a copy or the electronic file of the plans and have them reduced to a smaller size. Might reduce them for 90 or 120mm fan. The planes build very lightly and so I think they are great candidates for an EDF.

I can send you, or anyone else, an electronic copy of the files with the understanding that they ARE NOT to be sold for profit. You are free to give them to someone else but not to sell them. If you are interested, send me a PM with your e-mail address and tell me which set of plans you would like. I will send the plans but only thru an e-mail.

I don't recall when they were started but there are some build threads on the A-10 and the F-16 here on RCG. There is also a build thread of the Harel A-10 from a builder in England on one of the English slope soaring model forums.

Thanks,
Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Sep 12, 2015, 01:48 AM
Ellis
Joined Sep 2015
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
For the $322 that fan costs you could get a real fan that actually would produce 8kg thrust without blowing up.

http://shop.ejets.at/OShop/ViewProdu...a&OShopLANG=en

Plus the appropriate HET motor on 12s.

http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=337

Typhoon 800-68-685
The only problem is I live in the UK so I need fans available in England as I will be charged a lot of money for shipping and taxes.