HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2015, 01:53 AM
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
Discussion
Ship model business for sale

Hey guys, John M Johnsey of Steel Navy Models is retiring from ship model making. If there is any interest all of my model parts and pieces of 25 years of model making is for sale. I do not have an inventory at this time but if you Google "John M Johnsey modelwarship gallery" a photo list of some of my work is posted here. Basically its everything needed to build the models shown and more. Hundreds of master patterns, hundreds of molds, and thousands of pieces. You can email me at rjohnsey@charter.net if you are interested. Please serious inquires only as I will only discuss price on a face to face meeting.
Kroenen is offline Find More Posts by Kroenen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2015, 08:30 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
260 Posts
Metcalfe Models in England is also for sale - inventory but not the name or the web site.

I hope someone can find the energy to keep such fine products available. It must be a labour of love, not a way of making money.
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Feb 05, 2015, 08:34 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,801 Posts
Seems that a lot of model making businesses are up for sale, and/or just folding these days---.

Might it be something in the air---?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 05, 2015, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
Old Feb 05, 2015, 09:09 AM
D'mon
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2013
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post
...and laziness. As newer generations come into this hobby, the level of quality and detail goes down. About the only thing selling now seems to be RTR stamped assembly line stuff. No one wants to wait for a perfect representation of a specific ship to be built for them (or to spend 6 months building it themselves) when they can buy a Bristol Bay and be in the pond in 10 minutes. And IMHO, because there is no "investment" in the hobby, they get bored quickly and move on to something more "extreme". It breaks my heart that this hobby (and others that take time and patience) will continue to die off like this.

Now I'm depressed... I'm going to go work on my boats (as soon as I get off work).
Dmon96 is online now Find More Posts by Dmon96
Last edited by Dmon96; Feb 05, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2015, 10:33 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,651 Posts
Moved to TN 14 years ago right down the road from my three very young grandsons. Not one of them ever had the slightest interest in learning to build boats or anything else. I blame growing up staring at TV and computers and never developing an imagination. To this day they all hate to read. Sad.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Feb 05, 2015, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
14 Posts
Definitely a labor of love as there is little money to be made. Those of us still forging ahead do it because we are hoping to prevent or at least delay the decline of the hobby we have been involved in so long
theblackhole is online now Find More Posts by theblackhole
Old Feb 05, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon96 View Post
...and laziness. As newer generations come into this hobby, the level of quality and detail goes down. About the only thing selling now seems to be RTR stamped assembly line stuff. No one wants to wait for a perfect representation of a specific ship to be built for them (or to spend 6 months building it themselves) when they can buy a Bristol Bay and be in the pond in 10 minutes. And IMHO, because there is no "investment" in the hobby, they get bored quickly and move on to something more "extreme". It breaks my heart that this hobby (and others that take time and patience) will continue to die off like this.

Now I'm depressed... I'm going to go work on my boats (as soon as I get off work).
Keep in mind that those RTR's are helping to keep interest in the hobby..
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Feb 05, 2015, 01:58 PM
D'mon
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2013
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507 View Post
Keep in mind that those RTR's are helping to keep interest in the hobby..
Very true, and I did not mean to insult them. Most of us at least started with a Bristol Bay or Atlantic... I have a Bristol Bay, Atlantic, King's Ransom and a Traxxas Villain which all got me started but none are stock any longer (except the King's Ransom, for now). The Bristol Bay in particular is a fantastic base to do custom work, so is a great start for someone interested in trying the hobby - they can have fun "out of the box", and can do a little or a lot of customizing if they get bored with stock. And as you say, these RTR's keep the interest in the hobby. My concern is that with more and more RTR's coming out and less and less kits, people are either becoming content with having the same as everyone else, or getting bored before getting into kits or buying one-off or limited run highly detailed (and thereby expensive) boats. I have yet to see Tower Hobbies have a scratch and Dent Aquacraft Fletcher class, but always see a few Bristol Bays- that indicates that the Fletcher just is not selling that much, so not many damaged in shipping returns.
Dmon96 is online now Find More Posts by Dmon96
Old Feb 05, 2015, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
754 Posts
They are a good place to start...

But there is another type of RTR that does carry on the tradition of hand built scale boats....

As the current demographic of model boaters ages, some very good models are coming up for sale at decent prices. Most due to the owners age and lacking physical abilities (or interest) to manage them anymore. They get sold to younger folks like myself (early 50's) who can continue to enjoy them.
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Feb 06, 2015, 06:11 PM
Just north of Tampa, Fl.
Joined Jan 2009
252 Posts
This is why I want to get my son more involved in model building instead of looking at a model that is ready to go. He will get more hands on and makes him use his brain to some degree as well.

We need to support out model vendors that are out there so that we can keep doing our little hobby. I do 1/96 scale RC Naval ships and many more models can be built of different ships than what RTR's are available.

Duane
Navy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Navy2000
Old Feb 08, 2015, 09:15 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackhole View Post
Definitely a labor of love as there is little money to be made. Those of us still forging ahead do it because we are hoping to prevent or at least delay the decline of the hobby we have been involved in so long
This cold hard truth from the owner of Loyalhanna Dockyard---.

We manufacturers and vendors have watched the slow decline of the hobby for many years now, and it's gut-wrenching to see that the creative efforts of so many are going down the road to obscurity---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 08, 2015, 09:45 AM
Joined Feb 2013
25 Posts
Sad but true what Don from Loyalhanna said. AT least he is attempting to keep some of the molds going and I thank him. Then you have the companies that dont deliver or send you inferior products which is sad as well. After paying hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars you get poor quality or wait over 18 months. One such company is Arkmodel/Hooben /Twin Horse who are all the same person. Beware what you order and be sure your comfortable for the wait. Knowing the owner personnally and seeing first hand how he operates I would warm everyone to beware. What you see is not what you get. People from New York to California have fallen to this companies bad practices so deal with people you know and trust. Advertising is deceptive at best and be sure you know your limitations as what you see maybe very different. Ask others of thier experiences and never pay upfront especially with a bedit card. You will have little or no recourse with companies in China. There are good manufactors there but Arkmodel/Twin Horse/Hooben is not one of them. The office in Springfield is only an internet site with nothing behind it other than an illusion they are in the USA. We had people verify this just last week. Model builders are quick to desire a product and it is so disappointing to get inferior poor qaulity or wait over a year.
johnchi54 is offline Find More Posts by johnchi54
Old Feb 08, 2015, 02:23 PM
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
Hey guys I'm just retiring . Somehow this thread turned into a confessional-bash on the younger generation- buyer beware-RTR bash-level of quality complaint. Im just retiring from model making with stuff for sale.