Joined Oct 2009
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Ok, so now that I'm really thinking about it:

2x200=400
4x240= 960

400+960= 1360mAh total

So I set my charger to 1.4A charge rate correct? And that's why it took me over 4hrs to charge 'em all yesterday 'cause I had all of the batts charging at 0.2A, LOL, what a dork!!!!!
If you're charging 1C batteries, you would want to set it at 1.3A to stay below the 1C rate.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,751 Posts
That is just one more reason I like my CellPro 4S chargers. I made up parallel charging leads with connectors from Glenn @ RC Connectors and charger plugs from CellPro. Connect up any combination of similarly rated lipos and it picks the correct charging rate. Connect your packs to the squid and let them sit for a few minutes to equalize then start charging.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so now that I'm really thinking about it:

2x200=400
4x240= 960

400+960= 1360mAh total

So I set my charger to 1.4A charge rate correct? And that's why it took me over 4hrs to charge 'em all yesterday 'cause I had all of the batts charging at 0.2A, LOL, what a dork!!!!!
yipper thats right. jsut make sure your on 2S. for your piece of mind. for the first few mins. stand by and wait for the sparks! J/kin.... I'm always close by when charging batts period! within the first few mins i give the batts a touch with the hand just to make sure neither is warming up. just piece of mind

Now when im charging just a single 180 nano, i set the charger to .5A charge! so thats just over a 2C but the nanos are good for it.. thats why there so pricy!

charges it in 20min or so!

anyone know what the charge rate of the stock DC charger is?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:14 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
If you're charging 1C batteries, you would want to set it at 1.3A to stay below the 1C rate.
Ok got it, thanks Real, & good explanation on your previous post as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
yipper thats right. jsut make sure your on 2S. for your piece of mind. for the first few mins. stand by and wait for the sparks! J/kin.... I'm always close by when charging batts period! within the first few mins i give the batts a touch with the hand just to make sure neither is warming up. just piece of mind

Now when im charging just a single 180 nano, i set the charger to .5A charge! so thats just over a 2C but the nanos are good for it.. thats why there so pricy!

charges it in 20min or so!

anyone know what the charge rate of the stock DC charger is?
Ok, I'm getting it better now, I ALWAYS paid attention to the discharge rate, which is why I liked the nano-techs you got me hooked on for the Stryker Easter, but I NEVER paid attention to the C rating. Now that I'm understanding it more I'll pay closer attention to ALL of the battery data!

Thanks for all the help guys.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,754 Posts
For some reason today was an 'off' day for me... just did not have much energy, concentration, coordination. Prolly should have stayed home, but decided to go to the field and hoped to feel better. Got there and promptly stuffed the ME-162 Komet again trying to hand launch it myself (probably 6th time crashing for that poor thing). The motor and part of the nose foam came out, so back into the car with it. Tried to fly my ME-109, and it was like I forgot how to land. Put it back in the car, thankfully unscathed from my multiple nose overs on landing. So after that, I just took a seat and watched some others fly, then remembered that the wires were dangling into the air flow on my Mig15. I recall someone saying that they did NOT have to split the fuse to fix theirs, merely 'massaged' them back into place with a chopstick. So I had a Big Gulp straw in my hand, and I decided to see if it would reach.... it did reach, and I was able to partially retract the wires into the little groove they are supposed to be in. Unfortunately the straw was just too flimsy to let me seat them properly, and to work the final part that needed to move. I looked around the ground for a proper sized stick, found one, cleaned it, and then used it. It went perfectly -- those little servo wires are now completely flush or slightly below flush in the tunnel. I also gently prodded the motor wires to more-or-less in line with each other, along the length of the fuse, versus how they were originally: standing side by side, presenting a large frontal area.

I can't say it definitely made a huge difference in thrust but at least it's now properly dressed. One less obstruction and thing to worry about. I put a battery in the little screamer and did some circuits, a couple of loops and rolls, some slow-n-low passes, a hammer head or two, and by the time the battery was done, suddenly my really crappy day had been salvaged and I was feeling better and was able to go home in a really good mood.

So when you get a chance, it's dead easy to both check and to fix that little obstruction if you have it -- no splitting of fuse or adhesive, etc is required.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,586 Posts
Here's a good laugh for you guys. You can fast forward to 2:11, that's where I begin my approach....

E-flite UMX MiG 15 EDF grabbed outta the sky by a bush (2 min 40 sec)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,303 Posts
Quote:
Here's a good laugh for you guys. You can fast forward to 2:11, that's where I begin my approach....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeFN6jkHDk
"Through the tree, over the street, nothing but shrub."

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
"Through the tree, over the street, nothing but shrub."

-Brian
LOL, totally!!! It could've been so much worse!! I'm still learning camera technique, I should've showed the damage after the crash. I'm just glad ALL the servos work fine after the incident, I was worried 'bout that!!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,188 Posts
OT alert!!!!

check out this post-crash footage.........

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2133

(especially the last half of the short video.......)

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
check out this post-crash footage.........

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2133

(especially the last half of the short video.......)

WOW, now I really don't feel bad bout my crash!!! But I can't believe his plane still flies!!!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
237 Posts
did anyone else notice that HH has dropped price of the stock battery by 50% for the MIG?
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsky View Post
did anyone else notice that HH has dropped price of the stock battery by 50% for the MIG?
Zomg, you are correct sir... Now I wonder if my LHS is selling them for the same price...
PawnBoy is offline Find More Posts by PawnBoy
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:23 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,152 Posts
Kalmon, if you're still keen to keep trying 3S, are you up for changing out the 5 blade stock rotor for a 3 blade(GWS 30mm trimmed up) to drop the current. Your speed will increase if that's a motivator for you.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Kalmon, if you're still keen to keep trying 3S, are you up for changing out the 5 blade stock rotor for a 3 blade(GWS 30mm trimmed up) to drop the current. Your speed will increase if that's a motivator for you.
Sounds like a good plan. Where can I get that trimmed GWS at? I don't have a way to balance it myself though. What would the performance difference be on 2S do you think?

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Where can I get that trimmed GWS at? I don't have a way to balance it myself though. What would the performance difference be on 2S do you think?

-Brian
You need a magnetic balancer in your arsenal. Balance is so important to sound, performance, longevity and not confusing the AS3X sensors. They're cheap... $20 or so. On second thought I'm not sure there's really any performance difference, though. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

But not having a balancer is like not having a good charger that shows mAh's. You're blind to important measurement without it.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq