HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:26 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,678 Posts
The trouble is, the list does not include models that Ivan built before Luke started the thread and which may now be lost in the Canadian wilderness.

At his current rate of progress, tim@35mhz could be the 100th builder
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:50 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,745 Posts
Mike:
Quote:
Sopwith Mike graciously sent me a canopy for the Shoestring so that's it.
Me too!

I'll be watching your build John and following along soon.

nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,678 Posts
The Shoestring

I haven't got a lot to add to my essay at post #1292. I think that the slight change I made to the wing section to make it easier to build was useful and I've done it on similar models with no apparent ill effect. The minor drawing changes (straighten the main spar was I think the big one) still stand.

If I was to build it again I would include the scale side cheeks. I did this on my Shoestring clone Rollason Beta and it makes a big difference to the look of the model, and it was very satisfying to get the scale look right.

The Beta was designed literally over the Shoestring plan, keeping the same rigging angles of all the surfaces. Only the outlines were changed. This was two years ago, and she is still my favourite sport model.

All markings by Tim Calvert at www.modelmarkings.com
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes this is number 6 Rick. Gonna build as many as I can I guess but I'll admit that several Robin Fowler's designs are in my build queque now too.

Luke, the Helio Courier is 53" span 1:10 scale, 400 sq in wing area, and 10 ounces as Ivan built it. It has the leading edge slat and Ivan also designed some fixed flaps for indoor flying although mine got off the ground in about four feet.
I had mentioned cut files earlier and will share them with anyone wanting to build this model but they need a bit of editing that I discovered during the build. Might take a few weeks to get to it but I'll post when they are ready.

Trevor, yes, hint received... Maybe someday within the next few years.

Mike, great minds think alike, right? I have already been playing around with some drawings to add the cheeks. I guess Ivan may have omitted them to streamline the front area? I will have to ask him next email.
I had to go back and reread post 1292 but will take your advice on the down/right thrust. The wing is already framed so I can't on the spar. Thanks again for the canopy.

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
Oh dear, if we are going to keep count, next thing you know, people will be trying to time their builds to be number 100.

Nice little model, John. I think it would travel well (hint!)

Trevor
Are we counting them at the starting line or when they've been compleated and flown. I'm still going to finish the Comet. Even have motors for it. A bunch of builds have jumped que and barged in.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined May 2001
2,951 Posts
Right, I had not forgotten Vince, but I've been counting the planes as of when they've flown (we accept crashes too), which he's still waiting on. I suppose it's a somewhat arbitrary distinction, but usually, built = flown in very short order!

But not in all cases. We had a guy a few years ago build an immaculate Solent virtually to completion that was then never flown (to my knowledge) - so it has yet to be "counted."

There may be 80-some planes displayed in the hall of fame but theoretically Ivan's own models don't add to the totals because he is a special case. I've never tried to have an inclusive list of his own models displayed as he has that on his website. I can't remember why I started adding his own to the list but I guess I didn't want him to feel completely left out...

If you want the real count of models that have been built by others, you can look at the World Map which has a running tally right beneath the map. It is presently to 76 models, 49 pilots (John accounts for the discrepancy between the two numbers ). This is the full list so far as is known to us. No doubt there are many more models built and flown that are somewhere in secret, but if myself or Ivan knows about it, it's on the map. Unless I've forgotten some, which is also entirely possible....

Anyway, just some background info! In case anyone is wondering, no, I did not make up these "rules", they were set down on stone tablets many centuries ago, and were uncovered on a remote mountain in the Andes, and passed down to me by a reclusive order of monks. They are immutable and unchangeable... although prophecies mention something ominous of what might happen when we get to 100 photos in a single post. So if you want in, you might want to whittle your balsa a bit faster.

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:17 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,821 Posts
You have GOT to seet his . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8YcLBkUOB7I

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:17 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83 View Post
You have GOT to see this . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8YcLBkUOB7I

Cheers,

Bart
A must-see indeed. Thanks for your recommendation. Great documentary. I enjoyed all of it. Thanks for all your previously posted seaplane video's too.

AK68
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Hello all,
I've been an admirer of Ivans planes and more or less silent watcher of many of the build threads. I've decided to pull the trigger and join the club. I just can't decide which one and could use some input and advice. I really like the PBY with the pylon mounted wing and the wing tip retracts. I would consider the larger 100" version but I haven't found anyone who has built it besides Ivan's original. The Mini-cat has been done more than a few times, but I would like the option of (maybe)installing the fully functional retracts, which I'm sure would be easier to do on the bigger one. Does anyone know of a build thread of the large PBY that I could follow? I don't have a ton of experience scratchbuilding and a thread would be a big help.

I'd also consider the mini-cat, if it's a truly better design? I would still have to build the wing in three pieces to get it into my truck (6 1/2 ft bed), and that complicates the wingtip retracts considerably, not sure how that's done on either version.

I guess what it boils down to is I want a flying boat that I can also fly from terra firma, any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:06 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,678 Posts
You can see my MiniCat build here and with modern servo-less retracts I think you could build in a proper system. Ivan's models will take far more weight than we normally build them to (but won't fly quite as nicely)

Welcome to the Club dglo!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,847 Posts
Outerzone has an 80 inch PBY Cat plan for downloading. Can build or study it. Hip Pocket has one but not sharp enough.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2901
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:32 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,899 Posts
Welcome, Doug. If you want to build the retracts out of interest, then do - there will be a few of us following your progress avidly! However, if you are only contemplating retracts to enable you to fly off grass, then do remember that it is very easy to set up Ivan's models so that they will take off from grass without the aid of an undercarriage or dolly.

I haven't heard bad reports of any of Ivan's flying boats so choose whichever one takes your fancy. The build techniques are very similar so even if there is no build thread for the particular model you choose, the other threads will still be very relevant and helpful.

Trevor
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks for the input. I,m leaning towards the "big" PBY, mainly because it is a twin (don't want to buy 4 outrunners), and already has the 3 piece wing designed in. Has anyone seen these plans? I know they are older, and may require some "interpretation", but do they show details on linkage setup, etc? I sent Ivan an e-mail asking for some advice and a price list, but is there any other source for his plans?

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:24 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,678 Posts
I have not seen the 100" PBY plan, but it will be smilar. to the 84" version that a few of us haveI built. The linkages for the operating tip floats are shown, but I would use a couple of the smallest servoless retracts for this function if I were to build again.

Ivan used a non-scale retract system on his 100" model (you can see it operating on one of the videos on page 1).

Good luck!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:23 PM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo View Post
Has anyone seen these plans? I know they are older, and may require some "interpretation", but do they show details on linkage setup, etc? I sent Ivan an e-mail asking for some advice and a price list, but is there any other source for his plans?

Doug
Doug,
I have the 100" PBY plans and yes they show good detail on the gear setup. Mike's advice on using electric retracts for the tip floats is the way to go in my opinion and I'm sure you could adapt some HK pneumatic retracts for the mains as well. Electric retracts probably wouldn't be good on the mains as Ivan says that you will get water in the hull in this area anyway. Building a functioning prototypical main gear set for the PBY would be challenging but don't think that the thought hasn't been running around in my head also . The only minor distraction in using Ivan's original design is the oval wheel well in the fuselage, otherwise it is a very capable setup.
The PBY is on my short list and may be next after the Shoestring depending on when Robin Fowler's Short Stirling plans are released. I've been wanting to build something really big again...
Let us know should you decide to tackle the Catalina.
John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442