HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:44 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
302 Posts
Tough weekend at the Viva Las Vegas IMAC...

I hadn't flown since the Tucson contest and got my usual 2 practice flights the weekend before the contest.

The winds were tough all weekend. The 1st round really messed with my mind. I couldn't feel any wind on the ground but I watched the plane getting blown further out each pass.

My blood sugar was so low for my 2nd round that I don't even remember the flight. Another pilot told me he saw my plane heading for the ground and wondered what was happening. I don't remember who called for me, taking off, flying, or landing. I'm told it was a good landing in the wind conditions. I vaguely remember walking around in circles trying to figure out how to tear down my plane. That's when I realized my blood sugar was low and started taking in calories.

Sunday started nice...

Name: Vegas sunrise.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 390.4 KB
Description:

The Unknown had a 1/2 snap on the very first 45 upline. I'm not a good enough pilot to get a snap started and then get the sticks back to center quick enough. I've zeroed the 1/2 snap every time it's in an Unknown. At least they could put it as the 7th or 8th maneuver so I have a little fun before the zero.

The final round on Sunday was the only round I enjoyed flying. I skipped my insulin injection after eating lunch and this time I knew the wind was blowing. It was fun to fly and I was glad I didn't pack up after the Unknown.

I only felt good about one round, so I was very happy to finish 3rd out of a 6 pilot Advanced class.

Name: 2014-10 Las Vegas IMAC.JPG
Views: 0
Size: 142.5 KB
Description:

While the flying in those conditions wasn't a whole lot of fun, it was great to see some pilots from Vegas that I hadn't seen in a decade. And I always enjoy some close competition with great friends.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:11 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
302 Posts
The winner in the 7 pilot Sportsman class at the Viva Las Vegas IMAC was flying the CARF-Models 122" Extra 330SC.

I got to judge his Sunday afternoon round. It was awesome!! It had the same visible lock onto the line after each radius. I think that looks so cool.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird