SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:35 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Help!
How to see my transparent blue plane

I have a pulsar poly 2e that is all transparent blue. I want to put some kind color on it as I fear it will disappear in a blue sky. The plane is so pretty I want to use something that will look good but could be removed. Paint is out and I'm not sure about monocote adhesive trim. Any ideas on what color or design that would work?
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:15 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,962 Posts
Have you flown the plane yet? You may be very surprised how visible that transparent blue is in the sky! Give it a try first, would be my advice...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:31 AM
Bone Breaker
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
still might want something to be able to tell the top of the wing from the bottom
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,678 Posts
I've always been partial to transparent covering in general and blue is my favorite although it's slightly less visible than red in some conditions. It's dark enough that it really doesn't disappear in a blue sky. The sunlight will make it "glow" like any other transparent and it just turns black at a distance. On gliders I have generally found that a wide stripe on one wing or even a different colored wing panel works as well or better than differentiating between top and bottom. The hard part is adding a contrasting color that is removable. Applying covering over covering is a real PITA and would be even harder to remove. I don't currently have a transparent blue plane but I'll add a picture of my Specter. Where i added a dark stripe you would want to add a lighter one of either transparent yellow or orange. Obviously, you would need to remove the covering over a couple rib bays. If you're completely sold on using an opaque color over the existing covering then I would suggest neon orange. It shows up very well in most lighting and, IMO, provides a nice contrast with blue.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:38 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,264 Posts
Color is not as important as CONTRAST - lay a sample piece of covering over the wing. Take a digital picture and apply a grey scale filter (black and white film effect). The greater the contrast between the two coverings, the better you will be able to see them at a distance. I like to top the bottoms of my wings with contrast bands, 4-6 inches wide. I also like to run a flash strip along the LE - parrallell and above the point of the LE. When that slick airframe turns nose first to you and those skinny wings horizontal - it can be tough to see
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,873 Posts
White on trans blue is really nice.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:48 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Images -against- the sky would be more informative when talking about seeing.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
536 Posts
Monokote Chrome Trim

For me, transparent blue is an excellent color for visibility.
And adding stripes and contrasting colors does nothing for me when the plane is very high.

But I would highly recommend that you place a few pieces of adhesive backed Monokote Chrome trim on your wing leading edge, maybe 6" x .75".

This stuff is very thin, weightless, and can flash like a mirror in the sun. It is easy to apply and remove.

It has saved my posterior several times when I flew too high and temporarily lost the plane.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:46 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,264 Posts
Contrast is most ciritcal for me during low level and distant circling. I have lost orientation too many times while on final and or trying to work low level lift. Did not make that clear in my first post
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,678 Posts
I've had mixed results with chrome. Yes. It will flash in the sun but under some conditions of lighting and background it can also disappear. It's good for stripes but I stopped using it on the leading edge after I lost my Sagitta on final for a catch and hit myself right in the face! I much prefer a fluorescent color for leading edges. Harkening back to my Specter...

The transparent yellow shows up fairly well on landings in any light but I added the fluorescent yellow to the tail and ailerons to provide orientation on launch and the stripes on the ailerons really show up when I pop the spoilerons up. If I see the neon yellow? It's time to pull the nose up.

Of course, as others have pointed out, once a plane is far enough away the color doesn't matter much. But? Using a light transparent with a dark is about as good as it gets.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
621 Posts
As others have said, contrast is important.
In AZ. where we fly against blue sky mostly I like to use the Ultracote Trans white either on top only or top and bottom. With the sunlight behind it it almost glows. If you replace the top covering only it will make the blue stand out better. Trans yellow also works well for me.
Covering can be easily removed using your covering heat gun and some gentle tugging. Follow up with some acetone to remove remaining color and adhesive.

Don't worry so much about top and bottom, you will know if it is upside down!!

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:37 AM
Bone Breaker
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
I have found some sheets of vinyl that I think will be easy to remove if I don't like it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined May 2010
1,694 Posts
I like Blue, not a problem seeing it looks black very high.

Zb/Esprit Model

Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor