Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
Discussion
Skymaster slowly being repaired ...

Back about a year ago - my Skymaster Biplane

did a vertical straight into tarmac ... basically elevator servo failed when inverted ...

The GRP fuselage and top wing were shattered ....

Some filler, F/G tape and resin ... put the fuselage back to reasonable ...

I then put it all aside while I concentrated on other models etc. I also needed to replace the 15cc RCGF engine that was smashed ...

Finally a new engine arrived and I decided to have another go at repairs ... this time to see about that top wing.

I scarfed the halves together with doubling pieces and various additions ... I cut out replacement rib parts from depron to keep weight down ... as I wanted to repair without pulling it apart too much ...

Depron doublers added to the broken ribs ...

Final sheeting up will stiffen it all up and provide a good wing again.

The fuselage then came in for resetting of cabanes etc :

Replaced the wire u/c with alloy ....

Feeling quite pleased with myself !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,177 Posts
That is very impressive. It is looking really good. I think you have done a pretty good job fixing it back up too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,100 Posts
So far, so good! Keep after it and it will be finished before you know it!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
Only problem is work gets in the way !! I don't work at home area ... I travel around the world on assignments - so I get pulled away from my models.

One of the biggest headaches with this repair is the fitting of new firewall and the ignition system. Where the fueslage front has been rebuilt - the firewall needs careful cutting in to sit right. I cannot use the fuselage front itself as I cannot guarantee it's alignment for down and right ... so will have to measure from the tail to multiple points.
The Ignition box I mounted external just in front of U/C - but never liked it there ... so will see about how to mount inside and have the spark lead exit to connect. It needs such a big hole to pass through !!

For anyone interested - the windshield I fitted is cut from a 2 litre Plastic Beer bottle !! It's a real problem that I have to empty the contents before I can get my canopys !!

Hopefully shouldn't be too long before she's in sky again ... already have new servos in her !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife