HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
This morning I was out putting a few finishing touches on my travel box that should withstand anything short of a nuclear holocaust when a nuclear holocaust (AKA my 17 year old son) came out to the shop. The plane was sitting at the far back corner and somehow he managed to bump into it breaking the rudder. Looks like I get to buy a new fuse and its never even left the ground!
Man... that really sucks!! My daughter (although she is only 9, and was 8 at the time) ran her bicycle into the elevator of my 3DHS 48" Edge one time and tore it up pretty good. That's the last time she ever rode her bike into the garage and the last time I ever left my planes sitting on the ground.

But it's hard to be mad at an 8 year old girl when she comes in with her lip quivering to tell you what she's done...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I'm not upset about the prop yet. Before I changed wheels for grass field, I flipped it on its nose at almost full throttle several times when the wheel pants caught on the grass, but still flying it. I always buy spare props for any plane and have several gws 7x3.5's in readiness. I will admit to not being after speed, my old reflexes and eyesight prefer slower flight, so maybe I'm not as affected by the performance of the stock prop. I probably have 30-40 flights on it now and it still has extent of vision vertical without a hitch. Can fly it straight up about as high as I comfortable with, throttle back to a hover, then accelerate out of it straight up. Sort of ready for it to break so I can try the 7x3.5 though. Just not disappointed enough in the stock one to go taking it apart to change props as long as it ain't broke.
ME ALSO,,,,,my thoughts almost the same as yours...........
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
I, too, am agonizing over the sbach vs edge question. I'll be able to buy just one new plane in the spring. Some days I lean toward the sbach because I could keep it in the trunk of my car for always-ready flights. Other days I lean toward the edge because it can fly slower, will probably continue to challenge me longer, and has "real" electronics I might harvest sometime in the future for other planes when the 540 has met its maker.

Oh.... The misery of choice! I was much happier a month ago when I was just planning on the sbach. Now I've been downloading and watching all the old Red Bull Air Race videos just to see 540s in action.
For those trying to decide between Sbach 3d and this edge,,,I've flown both quite a bit,,, I'm only a begginer 3D guy,, mainly a sport aerobatic guy,, so here's my take for whatever its worth : Sbach especially in its convient box travels a little easier, but the edge still does well too, as its still pretty small,, the edge Isn't nearly as fragile,, in the air the edge has waaaaaaaay more visibility especially at dawn or sunset,, some would say ( including myself ) that its a cooler looking plane. It can be flown in about the same amount of space as the Sbach,, maybe smaller as its slow speed flying is leaps and bounds better than Sbach, AND the landings with the edge are far far and away easier to do smoothly, the edge will actually GLIDE power off or dead stick, as where the Sbach just basically falls out of the sky power off,, I can actually just glide my edge in for a landing power off if I want,, as where with the Sbach you Definatly couldn't do that,,,, however,,, the edge seems to have a prop that breaks and or warps quite easily,, and quite a few have been reporting QC issues,, I've seen 2 out of 5 at my LHS with QC issues,, as where I believe there hasn't been ANY issues with the Sbach. So there you go
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
641 Posts
just flew mine, love it, reminds me of my old 42 AJ slick. Tumbles just the same.

anyone know how to set the brake on the esc? I can't find a manual for the esc.

I'm having some trouble getting it to flat spin, but it was pretty windy this morning.
P.I.Engineer is online now Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I snuck in a quick flight this morning in front of my house. I had very limited room so I wasn't able to do much. I'll get some better video in a more appropriate flying spot soon where I can do some blenders and rolling circles and stuff. Just very basic harrier and hovers here with a few rollers and KE mixed in. I find that this plane requires a fair amount of speed for KE flight and it doesn't like HAKE flight much.

QQ Edge 540 Cul-de-Sac flying (6 min 1 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
OH NO!!!! You can't use some foam safe CA on it while you wait for a new fuse?
I could but just way too anal to glue a brand new plane back together. Mine didn't even have the fingernail marks so many others have had! Besides, I'm still waiting on batteries anyway. Not sure what I want to do at this point. So pissed that it's broken I've had thoughts of just selling as is and moving on.

I will say this, I went ahead and pulled the wings back off and the plugs for the aileron servos are no joy to unplug. Thought I was going to tear the thing up trying to get them apart. I would not want to disassemble this thing just to transport for sure.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
I'm beginning to have problems with the copper coils in the motor coming loose. Anybody have that proplem as well? It creates a strange sound in flight like something grinding...
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I snuck in a quick flight this morning in front of my house. I had very limited room so I wasn't able to do much. I'll get some better video in a more appropriate flying spot soon where I can do some blenders and rolling circles and stuff. Just very basic harrier and hovers here with a few rollers and KE mixed in. I find that this plane requires a fair amount of speed for KE flight and it doesn't like HAKE flight much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSDO...ature=youtu.be
Sweet! What's your CG at?
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
I snuck in a quick flight this morning in front of my house.
Nice flight. After ripping the tip off the stock prop, I have also switched to GWS7035. I was able to put the stock spinner back on without modification (noticed on your YouTube comments that you were flying without the spinner).

Best
SG
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Sweet! What's your CG at?
It's a little behind the stated neutral CG but for me... it's neutral. I can fly upright and inverted handsoff.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
I'm beginning to have problems with the copper coils in the motor coming loose. Anybody have that proplem as well? It creates a strange sound in flight like something grinding...
Mine has always made a lot if noise. Does it sound like the video above or worse?
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,013 Posts
Quote:
This morning I was out putting a few finishing touches on my travel box that should withstand anything short of a nuclear holocaust when a nuclear holocaust (AKA my 17 year old son) came out to the shop. The plane was sitting at the far back corner and somehow he managed to bump into it breaking the rudder. Looks like I get to buy a new fuse and its never even left the ground!
Why would you have to buy a new fuselage because of a broken rudder. Normally don't buy a new fuselage if I break one in half. Too many glue choices for foam planes for that.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,622 Posts
Quote:
I could but just way too anal to glue a brand new plane back together. Mine didn't even have the fingernail marks so many others have had! Besides, I'm still waiting on batteries anyway. Not sure what I want to do at this point. So pissed that it's broken I've had thoughts of just selling as is and moving on.

I will say this, I went ahead and pulled the wings back off and the plugs for the aileron servos are no joy to unplug. Thought I was going to tear the thing up trying to get them apart. I would not want to disassemble this thing just to transport for sure.
I would fix it. Fly it and the decide. Give it chance before sending on it's way. Then if like replace the fuse. You don't have to disconnect the aileron leads to pack it back up in the original box. I traveled with mine over Thanksgiving and it took 3 mins to assemble or disasemble and that's only because the foam is so soft. Pretty nice but your custom box is better
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Mine has always made a lot if noise. Does it sound like the video above or worse?
Agree. As you noticed, it sounds like that on mine to. My prop is balanced. I just figured its those shoddy cowl clamps vibrating.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Agree. As you noticed, it sounds like that on mine to. My prop is balanced. I just figured its those shoddy cowl clamps vibrating.
I can't pin point it. I meant to run the motor when I had everything apart because I'm pretty sure that's what it is.