HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
Nine inch member
Thailand, Chon Buri, Bang Lamung
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Discussion
Alt hold does not work

The alt hold on my HF pro always worked ok but now when I switch it in it decends to the ground if I have the gain lowish. It slowly rises if I put the gain way high .
If I have the gain where it used to work it slowly decends and then hops up and down on the ground.
I have some felt on the sensor and have checked the small hole has not got blocked . any ideas?
nickwad is offline Find More Posts by nickwad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:18 PM
Canada, NL, St John's
Joined Sep 2011
233 Posts
Mine got like that when I switched batterys. Additional weight increase. No changes?
Razzil is offline Find More Posts by Razzil
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:29 PM
Nine inch member
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
I have tried several different wieght batteries on it but its the same , I only changed the felt after first experiencing the problem but was extremely carefull to keep the glue away from the hole!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:26 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
So, you're engaging altitude hold while in a slow descent with the gain low. Then you are increasing the gain?

If this is true, a climb is what I would expect to see. The HoverflyPro will always want to return to the altitude at which you enabled altitude hold. If you increase the gain, you are increasing it's motivation to go back to the altitude you engaged altitude hold.

Another thing. Your throttle stick controls your rate of climb while in altitude hold. If it's not at center, you may experience a climb or descent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwad View Post
The alt hold on my HF pro always worked ok but now when I switch it in it decends to the ground if I have the gain lowish. It slowly rises if I put the gain way high .
If I have the gain where it used to work it slowly decends and then hops up and down on the ground.
I have some felt on the sensor and have checked the small hole has not got blocked . any ideas?
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:23 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
So, you're engaging altitude hold while in a slow descent with the gain low. Then you are increasing the gain?

If this is true, a climb is what I would expect to see. The HoverflyPro will always want to return to the altitude at which you enabled altitude hold. If you increase the gain, you are increasing it's motivation to go back to the altitude you engaged altitude hold.

Another thing. Your throttle stick controls your rate of climb while in altitude hold. If it's not at center, you may experience a climb or descent.
my octo is flying with the lastest firmware and it very stable I love it but no matter i try to hover i always need to move the stick sometime because it want go down or up , my question, do i have to calibrate the trottle with the software ?
all of my esc are calibrated manualy one by one
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:03 PM
Nine inch member
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Hi George,

Sorry maybe I was not clear , I am getting into a stable hover at mid stick and then engaging alt hold it then starts to decend .
I then land and adjust the gain and repeat above, there is no point at which it will hold as it did before . Also before the throttle stick did have more effect on the quad when in alt hold but now it seems to have almost no effect!

Could you also tell me if stock un flashed Turnigy Plush 30A esc s work OK or do they need flashing to work best with HF Pro?

I have been flying with non flashed ESC s for a long time but wonder if flashing would improve the performance .

Thanks
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Im using 30amp esc turnigy plush's and they work fine for me. Have you checked the barometer is ok in the HF setup software?. Do the diagnostic test on it.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:09 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
I would follow stacky's advice. Also check your ah gain in the setup client to make sure you are actually adjusting it. What is it set to currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwad View Post
Hi George,

Sorry maybe I was not clear , I am getting into a stable hover at mid stick and then engaging alt hold it then starts to decend .
I then land and adjust the gain and repeat above, there is no point at which it will hold as it did before . Also before the throttle stick did have more effect on the quad when in alt hold but now it seems to have almost no effect!

Could you also tell me if stock un flashed Turnigy Plush 30A esc s work OK or do they need flashing to work best with HF Pro?

I have been flying with non flashed ESC s for a long time but wonder if flashing would improve the performance .

Thanks
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
on my way old green pro board HOLD no longer works at all..setup shows the switch and gain being set but when flying it does not at all ever turn on under any gain settings. altitude hold ON on startup does not allow arming as it should. so the board is reading the state of switch for altitude hold but it does not work while flying. also it passes the test in setup for pressure sensor.

strange?

George if your reading this ..this is the old board not my big pro quad with the gps position issues I am having.
obinolson is offline Find More Posts by obinolson
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Check to see what your AH gain is set to in the setup client. You can also check the altitude bar to see if it changes when you move the board. Each tick mark is 1ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obinolson View Post
on my way old green pro board HOLD no longer works at all..setup shows the switch and gain being set but when flying it does not at all ever turn on under any gain settings. altitude hold ON on startup does not allow arming as it should. so the board is reading the state of switch for altitude hold but it does not work while flying. also it passes the test in setup for pressure sensor.

strange?

George if your reading this ..this is the old board not my big pro quad with the gps position issues I am having.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Feb 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfou View Post
my octo is flying with the lastest firmware and it very stable I love it but no matter i try to hover i always need to move the stick sometime because it want go down or up , my question, do i have to calibrate the trottle with the software ?
all of my esc are calibrated manualy one by one
I have the same problem - trying to change gains - without result. Big problem to take height with accuracy.
Thanks for help!

Andrei
AndrKolom is offline Find More Posts by AndrKolom
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:28 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrKolom View Post
I have the same problem - trying to change gains - without result. Big problem to take height with accuracy.
Thanks for help!

Andrei
maybe with my flashed esc the problem will be gone soon ..
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou