SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2014, 07:18 PM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozodude View Post
I just bought one used. 9 pounds no battery, does that sound right. Its old.
I thought the spoilers were supposed to slow it down. Guess it just lets it drop ?
cheers, danny
Can these be launched with a high start ? I'd rather not maiden it by throwing it off a windy slope.
Flying weight is around 4.5kg-9.90 LBS,balanced at 80mm,not 60mm.The spoilers will be less effective when there is little or no wind.The grob glider with this weight,would not be suited to bungee(hi-start),as its over 3kg which is maximum for a heavy duty bungee.It could easily be winched,which would be the best option,or install a motor in it like l did.
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2014, 11:13 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Can these be launched with a high start ? I'd rather not maiden it by throwing it off a windy slope.
Well Danny congrats, you bought a nice glider.
Imho launching a glider off a slope is the safest way to maiden a glider.
Especially on a grassy slope.
With correct CG and decalage there is not much of a risk.
With a winch start a lot of things can go wrong....
Anyway good luck with your glider.
Regards Maarten
MaartenX is offline Find More Posts by MaartenX
Old Feb 03, 2014, 04:58 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,512 Posts
I maiden all my gliders off the slope first.Winch/electric motor or aerotowing should only be undertaken after a successful maiden off the slope.Find a good slope first,even if it requires a long drive to get there.
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2014, 06:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Couzoff View Post
I maiden all my gliders off the slope first.Winch/electric motor or aerotowing should only be undertaken after a successful maiden off the slope.Find a good slope first,even if it requires a long drive to get there.
+1
could not have put it better.
Old Feb 03, 2014, 03:17 PM
United States, NY, Livingston Manor
Joined Jun 2013
235 Posts
Thanks, when you do the maiden off slope, is it windy or calm with a good run ?
I think some fresh deep snow would be nice.
Heres what I had in mind. I know of a lone country one lane road with fields on both sides. No fences or utility poles, slight grade.
I get in the back of my buddies pickup truck and slowly accelerate while I hold plane. Thinking I"ll start to feel lift and weightlessness good enough to know its trimmed and will fly. Then, we go back up and drive down grade till we hit that floaty speed and hit the brakes. Plane goes into level flight and we pursue closely while I control from back of truck ! Plenty of room so I dont have to have height to turn and bring her back. Just a nice sled ride to feel the control or lack of, THEN go slopeside.
Of course I'm anxious, but have past experiences with some foamies that turned to packing peanuts real quick when I thought, Oh yea its fine I can do this just chuck the d#mn thing, its getting dark. cheers
bozodude is offline Find More Posts by bozodude
Old Feb 03, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, when you do the maiden off slope, is it windy or calm with a good run ?
I think some fresh deep snow would be nice.
Heres what I had in mind. I know of a lone country one lane road with fields on both sides. No fences or utility poles, slight grade.
I get in the back of my buddies pickup truck and slowly accelerate while I hold plane. Thinking I"ll start to feel lift and weightlessness good enough to know its trimmed and will fly. Then, we go back up and drive down grade till we hit that floaty speed and hit the brakes. Plane goes into level flight and we pursue closely while I control from back of truck ! Plenty of room so I dont have to have height to turn and bring her back. Just a nice sled ride to feel the control or lack of, THEN go slopeside.
Of course I'm anxious, but have past experiences with some foamies that turned to packing peanuts real quick when I thought, Oh yea its fine I can do this just chuck the d#mn thing, its getting dark. cheers
oké buddy this does not sound like a good idea.
just take it to a nice and steep enough slope with 15 knts wind.
grass or snow is fine.
if you don't feel comfortable please bring an experienced pilot if that helps or even better contact a local club. Good luck, Maarten