HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:33 PM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Hi guys,
Just an update on my trunnion project. I can't use trunnions from the mustang and because of availability in the online shop pw-rc I ordered the associated trunnions there. Some posts before there was the question if the newer corsairs have metal trunnions. I can answer now...no but anyway it's really a nice looking bird and I can't await the maiden!
Oh but one more question. I've chosen a cg at 55mm now. I like it a little nose heavy. But to get this cg with a turnigy nanotech 2200mAh 3S 25-50c I need to add 40g in the cowl. Did you guys made the same experience?
Regards,
Michael
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:36 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
Making this thing balanced as per the book makes it nose over a lot on grass. I had to do the same as you and added about the same amount of weight but it didnt stop nosing over until i took the weight out of the nose. This thing flies great now a little tail heavy and wont nose over 100% of the time with the weight up front...
tonyrizz is offline Find More Posts by tonyrizz
Old Sep 01, 2014, 03:25 PM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Hi,
I have the luck to have a paved runway, so no problems with nose overs...
Anyway had the maiden today and I'm really surprised about this warbird.
The additional nose weight did the job well and cg at 55mm is perfect. No up or down trim needed.
Just a few clicks on ail that's it.
I'm using the ntm prop drive 910kv motor / MAS 11x10 2-blade prop and compared to my mustang (also MAS 11x10), the take off was much easier. Much less torque. But maybe it's the corsair itself which is not as susceptible. Next week I will also change the motor of the mustang because the extra power was noticeable.
Oh and in think it will take a while until my retract mod is necessary because landing was very easy and nice with half flaps. But just to be save the metal trunnions will be used some time.
I'm absolutely confident with my new corsair
Regards and happy flying....
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Last edited by warbird_one; Sep 02, 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 02:44 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
I took a small drill bit and drilled out the center of the stock gear. i then cut the head off of a screw and screwed it into the stock retract. Mine lasted almost two years. The only time i had a problem is when I had a hard landing and the actual shaft to the wheel sheered off. Simple fix but retract itself was solid.
tonyrizz is offline Find More Posts by tonyrizz
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:02 AM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
370 Posts
Do any of you have the metal gear strut/axle for the stock durafly corsair retracts that they would be willing to sell? The one to the pilots left.

Thanks.
Redhood is online now Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Sep 24, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined May 2011
15 Posts
you can buy replacement gear for these. I have spares, but all the way down here in Oz and postage wouldn't make it worth it

good luck

Greg
gprs12 is offline Find More Posts by gprs12
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:50 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhood View Post
Do any of you have the metal gear strut/axle for the stock durafly corsair retracts that they would be willing to sell? The one to the pilots left.

Thanks.
Same retracts except they have metal trunnions
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-f2g...g-gear-system/
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:58 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40flyer View Post
So after countless flights with my awesome F4U, my tail gear decided to give up on me the last time out. Greased a nice one but I believe I caught a rock and "SNAP" went my tailwheel. So....... Here's a quick and easy fix guys.

Drill out both broken halves and insert a brad nail and epoxy it in.

Simple and very strong. Better than new!
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-f2g-tail-landing-gear/
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:21 AM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
Thanks for the info Mike. The "nail mod" is holding up well. It's nice that both planes use the same parts. I ordered (a few months back) the metal trunnion retracts to replace the stock plastic ones. They're still going strong! And what can ya say about Motion.... What a great company to deal with and order from.
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:26 AM
Fox Four,..Guns, Guns, Guns!
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoocrew View Post
Thank you mattmanraptor and Griphin for your words of advice. I have only flew off pavement since I cannot find a manicured grass field big enough to fly off of. I would think flying off grass would help track the rear gear. On pavement as speed increases the tail gets lighter and the torque becomes immediately noticeable. A nice big open lot would be helpful where I can practice my roll out without any obstacles such as curbs in the way. Nothing like having to deal with making last minute decisions. One thing I have learned is when you do abort and heading towards a curb is drop throttle and use full left rudder because full right rudder does nothing for you. Do you think combo aileron and rudder while on the ground help?

I received a new Elevator but the color match is way off. Oh well, adds character and memories. I can get her off the ground to gain valuable stick time but like I said itís not pretty. I want to be able to do scale take offs so I will continue to practice, practice, practice.
Can't believe I just got my Corsair back into the air since my last crash on take off. It's been nice and pretty, repaired and sitting. I keep hearing the voice from Top Gun saying "get him up flying soon"

Practiced my throttle control on roll out. It must have taken 8 to 10 tries to get the right formula. Lessons learned, . . . . crept the plane down slow while retaining control and the the next thing I knew the tail lifted up off the ground and I was tracking straight on 2 wheels. I applied gentle power and with little flap she shot straight up into the blue. Oh what a feeling! Landings never seemed to give me problems and with the full flap mod makes the glide in even easier. Never noticed this before but it came down on 2 wheels and remained that way for a while before the tail wheels landed. Great flight and I knew I couldn't possible get it any better so I packed it up and pulled out the agile yet fun T-28.

Hopefully it wasn't a fluke of luck but I will try the same technique again next time I take the Corsair out.
jwoocrew is offline Find More Posts by jwoocrew