HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2005
452 Posts
Discussion
Seeking a kit cutter for B52

Hello all,

Up front I want to apologize for possibly repeating a previous post if I already asked. I do not cut my own parts out very well. I am wanting to build a B-52 and looking for someone to cut a kit. I could have sworn someone already told me but I cannot find anything sent to me to save my life.

Is there anybody out there that can cut a B-52 kit around 60"-80"?

Thanks
wartoy is offline Find More Posts by wartoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:02 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Do you have Cad or Corel Draw files? My laser has a 24" x 48" cutting table.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
452 Posts
Nope, I have a set of Chris Gold plans.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
No CNC or Laser machine will cut a kit from paper plans.

John
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:45 PM
Joined Dec 2005
452 Posts
Ya, I know. I had asked someone in these forums about making one of the kits made in the forums and was told it was made but one of of the online kit cutters but I can't find the message or a kit cutter that lists it.

So..... I have the Chris Gold plans ordered. What I was planning to do from this point is taking the plans to Kinkos, scan them, then find a kit cutter to cut a kit from the file.

Am I on the right track?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:36 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
That depends on how accurate the plans are, how accurately Kinkos can scan them and what file type they can save them as. They need to be in some type of vector file. If you are changing the scale then all the tabs and slots will need to be redrawn to match the material. Copies will need to be made for parts that need multiples. All parts will need to be nested to fit the material and machine that will be used to do the cutting. Unless you have the ability to prepare the cut files yourself it is not normally cost effective to cut one kit.

I recently spent one hour ($50) to nest, tab and optimize good Cad drawings for a simple flat plate foamie for a customer. Another job took four hours of cad time to prepare cut files for four simple parts starting from jepgs.

John