SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:28 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,544 Posts
My PZ P-51 problems

Ok, I just bought a new Parkzone P-51 and crashed it my first trip to the field. I have been flying the PZ Slo-V, and getting fairly good at it (though only with the stock motor). The problem that I was having with the mustang was that I couldnt get it in the air with the low rates (as said in the manual). Every time it was launched it nosed into the ground at full throttle. It wasnt until i set it at high rates that I got it airborne. But unfortunately for me it was a major handfull. And i crashed it on the second flight. My question is, is there a way i could adjust the plane to give more up elevator on the low rates. other than the trim settings. I had the control horns set at the most docile setting on the plane, but it hadnt any effect. Luckily for me the plane was only about 10 feet when it went into the ground, its still salvageable. Id appreciate any insight anyone has.
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:45 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. As far as the elevator is concerned you can move the control rod position on either the servo horn out (away from the servo) one hole, or on the horn in one hole and that will give you more throw.

The other thing to consider is it sounds like your CG was locate such that the plane was nose heavy, perhaps consider rebalancing with the CG a little bit aft?

Just my thoughts.

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Oct 22, 2005, 03:17 PM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
I (and alot of others) had somewhat similar problems initially with launching my PZ P51. My problems where solved by getting another charger that did not have bad connections and by changing the connectors to Deans Ultras. I don't think that I was getting enough charge with the original charger and the Dean's connectors let more power get to the motor. Made a huge difference on launch and it now climbs away briskly rather than struggling to get airborne.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:44 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,650 Posts
Not to be rude, but the Slo-V to the Mustang is a bit of a jump...I'd try the Cub, then move to the Stryker...then....try the Mustang...IMHO
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:05 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,544 Posts
Well I knew it would be a big leap. And was I RIGHT! That thing is a beast! LOL. I like to think I was doing alright. It was nice to fly with ailerons again. I think the reason I crashed was due to a low battery. I had a few bad launches and one good yet short flight. I couldnt get altitude and crashed while trying to land. I just need alot more practice with it. I just need to figure out why I couldnt get it into the air on low rates. Though with what valid8r said the cg could be wrong. I just have to get my new replacement parts installed before I can experiment.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 01:17 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
charger issue!

wrong thread
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Last edited by 800mZero; Oct 26, 2005 at 01:18 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:38 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Not to be rude, but the Slo-V to the Mustang is a bit of a jump...I'd try the Cub, then move to the Stryker...then....try the Mustang...IMHO
It's not rude, just simple truth. Most hobby shops will sell anything to anybody. A good one will tell you that this really is an advanced flyer. People get mislead, by hearing the great reports of the plane, in comparison to other P-51 park flyers. It doesn't mean its easy to fly, just that it is not full of terrible habits. Say what they want, but regardless if they mark the box with whatever exp level cartoon they use, people want to belive that these RTF packages are for everybody. They actually tend to be some of the trickier flyers, often without the quality of even GWS components, that we would use in our onw builds.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:43 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,544 Posts
Well I did try it again and crashed. Though not due to my own error, Yesterday it was a bit gusty and when it settled down a bit i fired up the p-51 and gave it a toss. Of course after my last attempt I knew what to expect so I wasnt as intimidated. I had given it a bit up elevator with my left hand and up it went. It was climbing slowly until a nice gust of wind turned it over just before I put my right hand on the tx. From 15 feet it spun into the ground. clipping the left wing and spinning the right wing right into the ground. Luckily for me the damage was only to the belly scoop and a fairly large crack on the leading edge of the wing. The more I practice with it and the version made for FMS Im slowly getting more comfortable with it. Though its gonna be awhile before i get remotely daring with it.
Old Nov 05, 2005, 06:36 AM
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
I have one of these things and had similar troubles with it. Low rates are not enough throws during launch. I figured out that to have a successful flight I had to dial in 4 to 6 clicks of up trim, go full throttle and heav the plane like I was throwing a long bomb pass.

Once the plane is on step you can trim it out for level flight and switch to low rates if you desire. I recommend flying it on low rates until you become familiar with the flight characteristics, then switch to high rates and turn it loose.
mlh1961 is offline Find More Posts by mlh1961
Old Nov 05, 2005, 03:11 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,544 Posts
Well for now I've been flying my dads stryker. I kinda wish I had bought it than mustang. Its alot tamer, and is more comfortable to fly.
Old Nov 05, 2005, 05:23 PM
Can glue better than fly!
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Joined Aug 2005
293 Posts
After having about 100 flights on a gws mustang, another person one day had a pz mustang that he brings out to my local flying spot and says he's seen me out here flying before and he wants me to test out his pz stang. I looked it over and tried to make sure everything looked ok, but I quickly noticed that that the low rates would not work very well so I switched to the high rates then tried to launch it. The first try resulted in lawn mowing, the second was only a little better with a rough but no damage landing !
To me the pz mustang seemed on the heavy side with the power that it had, and also hard to hold in order to get a really good toss (which it seems to require). the foam is a little wierd so I dont know how it will hold up to hard landings. My gws stang has taken some decent abuse but has never had major repairs, its a tough bird, but then again it dont come built ! It just seems to me that the only way to get good performance out of the pz stang would be with a lipo/brushless setup.
Spitfireski is offline Find More Posts by Spitfireski
Old Nov 07, 2005, 09:12 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I have this model. You must throw it very strong into the wind and at full throttle. Strong and level, it won't drop maybe a foot. Some make the mistake of throwing it on an angle towards the sky. What happens is the wing will stall thus resulting in a nose down "El Crasho"!!! Also, fly the batteries right from the charger. If you let them lay around a few hours and then fly, your losing the beginning "zip" of the pack.
Other than that, I haven't had any issues with the plane. It sure as heck don't glide too well. It also doesn't roll that quick either on the stock servos.
I think the servos don't have enough torque in them and the movement is less than normal servos like the hs 55 or hs 81. You can make this model come alive a little if you try some 3S lipo packs of the 1800 to 2100 mah variety.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
I had the same problems launching mine when I first got it. I was trying to add too much elevator at launch, however, and the plane would stall and then crash. After many flights I've found that the best way to launch is to throw the plane good and hard at an almost level attitude with no throttle. Just as the plane leaves your hand, apply full throttle and it will just climb away with no problems. Also, do not preset any up elevator when launching as this also contributes to a stall. The elevator control surface should be aligned with the whole where the stab goes through the fuse (perfectly flat).

I also had a problem with an EXTREMELY slow roll rate. When I first got the plane it seemed to be okay in high rate mode, but eventually it became so delayed in performing a roll that I didn't dare try. After getting tired of just flying around in level flight, I decided to take the wing apart to replace the servo. What I found out was that the servo itself was fine and instead, the pushrod tubes were so restrictive that the servo wasn't able to operate properly. After lubing the tubes with a lithium grease and then moving the controls to the closest hole on the horn, the ailerons responded very quickly.
The plane rolls very fast now and I can perform multiple rolls with down elevator compensation at inversion to the point that they are almost perfectly axial. It's an amazing improvement, to say the least. Another huge improvement came from moving the elevator control to the second to last hole from the horn's base. I tried the hole with the most throw, but at that setting the current pushrod path causes the whole stab to deflect at full throws.

In addition, get the 2100 TP pack--it also is an amazing improvement over stock. With this battery and the aforementioned control surface settings I am able to outside loop to level flight from inverted, not to mention fly for twenty minutes per charge.
capn is online now Find More Posts by capn
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:55 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,544 Posts
What is a TP pack? Sorry but I've been flying Glow planes, and am new to the wonderful world of electrics. lol.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
23 Posts
Half throttle on launch

I don't own a PZ P51, but have been considering buying one. You just can't beat the price, and scale beauty. I've been reading horror stories about it's stability, and I came across a thread that says that the plane is winging over do to the torque created by it's oversized prop. Even though the manual says to hand launch it at full throttle, pz techs say to launch at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. Like I said I don't have any experience with this bird, but here's the thread. Keep us posted, I really want to purchase one of these if it's controllable..........

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=206358
chuckrip1 is offline Find More Posts by chuckrip1