SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2014, 04:22 PM
Joined Mar 2014
145 Posts
Discussion
Would you buy a solid black styrofoam plane?

I've been thinking…I'm sick of white foam.

I know alot of folks have trouble seeing their white foam planes way up high against the clouds, especially some of the older guys in this hobby. I see alot of people paint their planes to make them more visible in the air. My question is: would you buy an all black styrofoam plane?

Imagine how cool an all black Delta Ray would look flying through the sky. Imagine if Hobbyzone or Parkzone put out a Stealth plane in solid black foam. How about a flying wing with scalloped bat wings (ala Batman) in all black? How about an all black Radian soaring high up above?

I want a solid black plane, LOL. And no, I don't want to paint one myself.
Anybody else?
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:16 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,017 Posts
Unless it's a parkflyer flown within 100 feet, most people will lose perspective of the plane's attitude and crash it...

and it's pretty easy to faint foam.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Aug 05, 2014, 12:35 PM
Joined Mar 2014
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
Unless it's a parkflyer flown within 100 feet, most people will lose perspective of the plane's attitude and crash it...

and it's pretty easy to faint foam.
Well, any plane that has an "attitude" deserves to be crashed.

smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2014
39 Posts
I just finished my 2nd black readiboard delta, couple inches shorter and narrower than a DR but it has a Guardian stabilizer that maidened today ... flew pretty good except somehow I got the aileron controls rversed again. I didn't find it any harder to see orientation than the white Delta Ray we also flew today. Against today's abundant white cumulus clouds it might have been a little easier.

Black readiboard came from Dollar General or Family Dollar, with clear tape over the paper. Fuse section for electronics was white readiboard with brown tape. This new one has black elevons and KFM panels. I put a couple black and white checkered tape stripes on the bottom to help with orientation instead of the day glow on top.

See pics here of 1st version http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1744
GottaZoom is offline Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:13 PM
FastEddie123
United States, MN, Lake Elmo
Joined Nov 2013
311 Posts
Baaahh crash over 100ft??? try 1,000 ft no problems - don't fly at night . e123
fasteddie123 is online now Find More Posts by fasteddie123
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:43 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,698 Posts
Black is not a good color for a plane. It looks cool for sure, but is easier to lose track of than other colors. There actually is a reason you don't see all black planes. An all white plane is just as bad, but its a lot easier to paint white than to paint black.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 23, 2014, 06:19 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
An all black foam plane will distort under direct sunlight. Typically, the wings tend to curl under. It does horrible things to the aerodynamics if you ware using an actual airfoil other than flat-plate.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
An all black foam plane will distort under direct sunlight. Typically, the wings tend to curl under. It does horrible things to the aerodynamics if you ware using an actual airfoil other than flat-plate.
I suspect in Arizona it gets hot enough to distort even white planes . I used to fly a black and orange sailplane back in the early 80's and the only sun issue I had was if I left it out in the sun sitting on the ground. I will say that at altitude it looked all black.
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:48 PM
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
51 Posts
The closest I will get is the F117 I plan to buy at the end of the year or early next year.
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac