HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:04 PM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
Discussion
2.4 Rx Antenna Question

I need a little help. Since my last radio was a Futaba 7FGK I decided to upgrade finally.
Ordered an Aurora 9 which is on the way however, here's the question. I am about to close up the fuse on a wooden Bird of Time and I'm wondering if I need to run an antenna tube. Could someone please tell me what the Rx antenna on my new gear is going to look like and if an antenna tube is no longer necessary?
Thanks for the help. Need to finish this bird, spring is coming.
Dave Craig is offline Find More Posts by Dave Craig
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:20 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,389 Posts
I have the BOT arf which has fiberglass fuse. It has a tube and it is needed for 72mhz. I will convert it over to 2.4 which does not use the tube, the antennae are short. Wood fuselage should work without having the antennae outside, I will probably take at least one outside, somewhere near the canopy.

I plan to have it ready for the Nall!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Craig View Post
I need a little help. Since my last radio was a Futaba 7FGK I decided to upgrade finally.
Ordered an Aurora 9 which is on the way however, here's the question. I am about to close up the fuse on a wooden Bird of Time and I'm wondering if I need to run an antenna tube. Could someone please tell me what the Rx antenna on my new gear is going to look like and if an antenna tube is no longer necessary?
Thanks for the help. Need to finish this bird, spring is coming.
Unfortunately, the Hitec 2.4ghz antennas are rather big and clunky.
Luckily, they should be just fine inside a wood fuse.
You don't really need a tube -- just tape the antenna(s) to the inside of the fuselage wall.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
Thanks for the help guys
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:03 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,929 Posts
Hi Dave,

In the event you wish to know more about how 2.4 GHz systems work, jump on over to this website: http://mysite.verizon.net/respri94

There you will find The 2-Point-4 Chronicles, a free article on what this 2.4 stuff is all about. We did loads of field testing and practical application to find out what works, and what doesn't. We test those rumors that float around and find out the truth. We found some things that were not supposed to work really do, and vice-versa. It's free and no commercials or ads. Just download and read. And the advice about just putting the antenna inside with a piece of tape....yup, that works in a wooden fuselage.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:43 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,819 Posts
Mike was one of the 2.4ghz pioneers -- back in the dark ages.
His article is full of good information and well worth the read.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:33 PM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
Hi Mike and Lenny,

That was a great read, especially since I am just starting to get a handle on the move to 2.4 and how it works and what it means. I don't have any planes that use CF yet but I imagine as I update my building techniques I'll build one eventually. I worried over the selection of a radio for quite a while but having read your article I feel better about my choice and that it will all work out somehow.
Thanks again,
Dave
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:42 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,452 Posts
An option with the A-9 would be to go with the 7 channel RX which only has one antenna if you're going to lay it insdie. I've done this on a BOT and a Avia and it works just fine. Wood,glass and Kevlar don't cause RX blindness.

Another would be to use the Mimima RX if you don't need a bunch of channels and/or absloutely feel the need for external antennas. It has a scaled down version of the BODA antenna. I use this in my Pulsars with two leads taken out just behind the pylon even though it don't require it. I have had both setups and RX's to 2700 AGL and ranged out making it probabaly in the 3000 + ft range.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,435 Posts
Dave:

What the other guys all said: it's all true.

I went 2.4 about two years ago (with Hitec, also) and have enjoyed trouble-free soaring ever since.

Enjoy!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
Nice to know I will have options. According to UPS it'll be here tomorrow!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:41 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,929 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliments on The 2-Point-4 Chronicles. And also to Lenny. Things have settled in with 2.4 and would you believe it has now been 5 years since the major introduction of this frequency to the r/c aircraft world? Wow! Gotta love it!

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249