HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,849 Posts
I just ordered a Dfc swash to try on one of my 450's.Does Mks make servo horns designed to break away in a crash.I think that's what we need to help protect the servos.The Beam head uses a carbon piece designed to break in a crash that saves on damage( very effective).With the new swash I may see more damage than before?
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,097 Posts
Just put a couple of flights through this now that I have swapped it over to my Protos - very happy indeed
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,849 Posts
Cool, any photos are video?
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Cool, any photos are video?
Steve
I'll try and snap some pics, but the wiring still needs some tidying. I'll see if I can get the "hat-cam" fired up this weekend
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Last edited by MikeHRC; Jul 17, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Is there a difference between the Robird and ALZRC versions in terms of software? Do they use the same updates or does ALZRC have to release their own version specifically for their units?

Anyone have any experience with Ino Labs servos on this FBL? I'm planning on using HGD-260HD's on cyclic and a Hitec HS-5084 on rudder in a 450 Sport (using the Tarot upper frame panels for large servos so those big cyclics will indeed fit)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 17, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:40 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Long term update on the Solar D650 digital cyclic servos. So today in an effort to advance my skills I tried inverted tail in hover. Unfortunately it seems I need a little more sim time so you know how these things go.. Not much damage. I crashed over uncut grass so I stripped the main gear, bent the feathering shaft, bent the main shaft, and stripped 2 servo gears... I really thought that the Solar servos were an upgrade over the EXI servos but it seems like they are just rebadged. I opened both of them up and found a single plastic gear mixed in with metal gears. I only have one spare Solar and I had an EXI D213 in my box. I used the same plastic gear in the EXI in the Solar. I hate rebuilding servos...
I have D654's in my 450 Sport and about a month ago I had a crash that seemed to not damage them although one of the aileron servos had a bent link. After the rebuild the helicopter would start shivering intermittently. In the process of trying to track it down the shivering eventually turned into wild bucking of the helicopter 30 seconds into the pack and I barely got the helicopter down (broken skids and scuffed blade tip were the only damage)

Running it on the bench showed that the upper aileron servo, the same one that had a bent link in the crash would start moving around like it had a mind of it's own with the motor running, but only with the motor running (it was pretty surreal looking, not the usual jittering but like someone was randomly giving positive cyclic) . With the motor disconnected it behaved itself and acted perfectly normal. It had hidden it's damaged state from me for two weeks by not misbehaving until some time had passed after initial spoolup. I had one spare but Hobbypartz is now out and will likely remain so for the next few months till they get another shipment that will sell out in 2 days again. I'm just going to replace them and use them to replace the Corona 929's in my HK flybar beater.


The wiring in the 929's was really surprising with an adequate amount of solder used in the connections and not the usual "looks like it's about to fall off if I so much as touch it" wiring you usually find in $6 servos. I liked how the case was designed to clamp the wire in place, not as good as a strain relief but better than the usual hole that doesn't do anything to immobilize the wire.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 17, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
Registered User
wlee1017's Avatar
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Is there a difference between the Robird and ALZRC versions in terms of software? Do they use the same updates or does ALZRC have to release their own version specifically for their units?

Anyone have any experience with Ino Labs servos on this FBL? I'm planning on using HGD-260HD's on cyclic and a Hitec HS-5084 on rudder in a 450 Sport (using the Tarot upper frame panels for large servos so those big cyclics will indeed fit)
ALZRC is Robird G31 clone and use same software.

http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-3gy-...l?cPath=27_257

If you click the link and look for download, it will bring you to robird download site.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:30 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I have D654's in my 450 Sport and about a month ago I had a crash that seemed to not damage them although one of the aileron servos had a bent link. After the rebuild the helicopter would start shivering intermittently. In the process of trying to track it down the shivering eventually turned into wild bucking of the helicopter 30 seconds into the pack and I barely got the helicopter down (broken skids and scuffed blade tip were the only damage)

Running it on the bench showed that the upper aileron servo, the same one that had a bent link in the crash would start moving around like it had a mind of it's own with the motor running, but only with the motor running (it was pretty surreal looking, not the usual jittering but like someone was randomly giving positive cyclic) . With the motor disconnected it behaved itself and acted perfectly normal. It had hidden it's damaged state from me for two weeks by not misbehaving until some time had passed after initial spoolup. I had one spare but Hobbypartz is now out and will likely remain so for the next few months till they get another shipment that will sell out in 2 days again. I'm just going to replace them and use them to replace the Corona 929's in my HK flybar beater.


The wiring in the 929's was really surprising with an adequate amount of solder used in the connections and not the usual "looks like it's about to fall off if I so much as touch it" wiring you usually find in $6 servos. I liked how the case was designed to clamp the wire in place, not as good as a strain relief but better than the usual hole that doesn't do anything to immobilize the wire.
Maybe it is a good thing that I have that plastic gear as a fuse. I ended up doing some research and found out the cheaper plastic geared analog servo gear set has the same gear that I need. I still hate taking them apart but they seems to work find once the gear was replaced. No weird jitters.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Maybe it is a good thing that I have that plastic gear as a fuse. I ended up doing some research and found out the cheaper plastic geared analog servo gear set has the same gear that I need. I still hate taking them apart but they seems to work find once the gear was replaced. No weird jitters.

My solution was to buy the 450 Sport upper frame with larger servo holes that Tarot sells and replace the 654's with Ino Lab HGD-260HB's They only cost about $6 more than the D654's and are better quality, same speed and much higher torque. They do use carbon gears but being 500 sized servos they'll also be stronger in a crash than a 450 size servo. There are a lot of good deals in the quality brands in that size range like the Hitec HS-82MG's for around $20.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 17, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
Registered User
IFHELI's Avatar
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
375 Posts
The new 3GY arrived today. Now I have to decide which heli to install it on. It will probably go on my other MiniTitan. It has a metal bottom case, plastic top, and new blue sticker on top. Here`s two pictures
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Not touching those...the cases are brittle and the ears break all the time. Also they are analog..
Analog servos are fine so long as they are good servos. Cheap digitals mask their cheapness better than cheap analogs.


I used MG90's in my flybarred 450 after having them reccomended to me as good budget servos. They had a ton of overshoot but other than that seemed to perform decently. Then one of them failed and the helicopter did a backflip directly towards me and demolished itself on the asphalt after missing me by three feet. Autopsy revealed that one of the pot wires inside the upper aileron servo had come off which caused the servo to slam the horn to it's maximum possible travel upwards relative to the helicopter, far outside the travel extents in the radio setup. Removed them that same day and tossed them in the garbage bin where they belonged.

Funny thing, in every servo failure I've had it's been the upper aileron servo that failed.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 17, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
boredom.is.me's Avatar
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
The new 3GY arrived today. Now I have to decide which heli to install it on. It will probably go on my other MiniTitan. It has a metal bottom case, plastic top, and new blue sticker on top. Here`s two pictures
I must say that it doesn't look as pretty as the black (plastic) model.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,849 Posts
I wonder if the aluminum case absorbs vibs better or worse than plastic and if the aluminum case has the lead slug inside?Also what's the weight penalty if any ?Alot of questions ?
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
Registered User
IFHELI's Avatar
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
375 Posts
No lead slug.... but metal case is not just an empty shell. It does have a thick spot which to me may simulate lead slug. Any extra weight is not a problem to me. Most all of my 450`s are 6S and swing 350 blades.....


I like plain and simple but the blue has not grown on me yet.... but will match canopy on my MiniTitan.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,849 Posts
It will be interesting to see if you notice any differences between the two in flight !
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New ALZRC 3GY V2.0 FBL System boredom.is.me Mini Helis 125 Sep 13, 2012 10:58 AM
Alert Hobby King NEW 3 Axis Gyro Flybarless system w/USB Programmer $45 Mahu Hot Online Deals 6 Jun 20, 2012 03:45 AM
Discussion ALZRC Devil 450 PRO!! 3GY gyro ver 2.0.3 pitchp Mini Helis 7 Jun 10, 2012 10:30 PM
Discussion Hobbyking ZYX 3-Axis Flybarless System Gyro old4570 Electric Heli Talk 4 Mar 15, 2012 10:18 PM