HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Turn cooridinator

If I use the turn coordinator will it cause the ailerons to deflect when I move the rudder during takeoff in 2D, or does it only work to move the rudder when the ailerons are moved. Still waiting to get my unit.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
If I use the turn coordinator will it cause the ailerons to deflect when I move the rudder during takeoff in 2D, or does it only work to move the rudder when the ailerons are moved. Still waiting to get my unit.
On my setup with turn co-ordination enabled, the rudder is moved by Guardian when you move the ailerons.
simmons1a is offline Find More Posts by simmons1a
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
But do the ailerons move when you move the rudder?
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,418 Posts
Quote:
But do the ailerons move when you move the rudder?
I tried turn coordination and found it pretty worthless and have not bothered playing with it again.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:23 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Quote:
According to maunual using rudder alone will not add aile. , however

On the Ground
Note: When taxing in 2D Mode on an incline ,this feacture will try to yaw your model down the hill.

In trhe air
Note : If Guardian is not very close to COG then this feacture can increase the channce of Yaw ocillactions.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
361 Posts
I could use a little help with the PC software for Guardian 2D/3D. Also with the installation in my model.

I installed the Windows Beta 10.43 software on my PC. When clicking on the "Firmware Update" button with Guardian connected via USB... There is a list of current firmware for various products. The list states "Guardian not connected. Latest Firmware Version 1.19" and also, "Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer Firmware Version 1.17... Click here to Update Firmware....". Is the program installing version 1.17 or 1.19?

I'm trying to find the best location for the Guardian on my model. I'd like to locate it as far from my Rx as possible to avoid any signal interference to my Rx. I could make a longer Rx/Guardian cable, but I'd like to mount the Guardian backwards (front pointing toward rear). I see the manual says not to do that, but was wondering if the PC software accomodates doing that?

Anyone have some guidance on setting the gains for large fixed wing models (96" wing span)? Should the gains be large or small for large models?

Also, the Guardian circuit board is twisted inside he plastic sleeve due to the way EagleTree mounted it with the foam pad. Can the PC software compensate or correct for this off center tilt?

Thanks,

Barry
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:20 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
I could use a little help with the PC software for Guardian 2D/3D. Also with the installation in my model.
A little bit of tilt will be corrected when you set the levels but the Guardian must point forward. I've not heard of problems interfering with the receiver, just make sure the antennas are clear.

IMHO people worry too much about the initial gains. Especially if you have remote gain set up, but even without it you can shut it off (I hope). Set your pot gain midway, set your transmitter gain midway, and work from there. The size of the model probably has less impact on oscillations than speed. If your plane is a rocket, then you should sneak up on it. A slow model can handle more gain but for most planes as long as you are ready to respond when you first turn it on you shouldn't have too much trouble. Gain induced oscillation isn't like flutter and is rarely damaging. It can't happen any faster than your servo can move. My planes are fairly slow. My pots are at max and mild oscillation occurs above ~75% master gain. If you see it, you just back down a bit. A souped up Funjet probably couldn't use those settings.

On the maiden, fly the plane to altitude with Guardian off. Straight and level cruise, flip on 3D mode. If the plane does anything you don't like, flip it off and decide how to correct the problem. If you're a competent pilot, 2D mode will feel really weird and take some getting used to. Leave it to explore once you are sure the basics are OK.

I don't think I can help you on the software questions, I don't use it much.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:01 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Quote:
I installed the Windows Beta 10.43 software on my PC. When clicking on the "Firmware Update" button with Guardian connected via USB... There is a list of current firmware for various products. The list states "Guardian not connected. Latest Firmware Version 1.19" and also, "Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer Firmware Version 1.17... Click here to Update Firmware....". Is the program installing version 1.17 or 1.19?
Sounds like it is saying 1.17 is installed and 1.19 is a newer version.

Try connecting the Guardian 2D/3D to the computer and launching the software,you should see the artificial horizion and it should follow the movement of the Guardian. The LED should be flashing a series of three blinks and pause then repeatiny.

I read a report of one being mounted backwards and working but I feel it is best to following directions. Some have mounted them upside down and they worked but it caused resiting trims issues.

I happen to fly helis with Fly=bar-less 3axis controll units. Most if not all of these can be mounted in several or more orintations but you have to slelct the matching one in their set up file. The Guardian does not have such a orientation selection file.

There have been no reports of interfence caused by the Guardian even mount right next to or right above the receiver. It is best to do a complete ground check in the name of safety however.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Some have mounted them upside down and they worked but it caused resiting trims issues.
I have three mounted "upside down" with no issues. Can't tell any difference in how they work vs the two I have mounted "right side up".
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
361 Posts
Thanks for the great replies. I'll follow choochoo22's advice on mounting and in-flight calibration.

After updating the firmware and rebooting the computer, program still prompts with the same information. Reason for the two different firmware versions could be that the 'Guardian' is different product than 'Guardian 2D/3D' or just a typo.

Upside down mounting just flips the horizon (sky up to sky down), but maintains yaw, pitch and roll. Backwards maintains the horizon, but reverses yaw, pitch, and roll.
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
Upside down mounting just flips the horizon (sky up to sky down)....
That will get fixed when you set the level which you can do in the plane, probably several times until you get what you want. I believe this can also be set in the software, though I've never tried it. The level setting is important in 2D, 3D not so much.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
I have three mounted "upside down" with no issues. Can't tell any difference in how they work vs the two I have mounted "right side up".
Agreed, no problems when mounted upside down.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:00 AM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Agreed, no problems when mounted upside down.
Same here. I've never tried backwards though. I expect 3D might work OK if you get the axes right, which you have to check carefully anyway, but I suspect problems would show up in 2D.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,772 Posts
Using 2D for recovery only

I've setup my default Guardian 2D pitch about 10 degrees up, with a slight leftward roll as well. This should result in being able to use 2D for a recovery mode that instead of plowing straight ahead straight and level, the plane will slowly rise in a CCW spiral - thus avoiding trees, buildings, etc. that might otherwise be in the way - and this also prevents a plane in unattended 2D mode from flying off on a straight line into lala land.

So - I'll use 3D for fun and windy days - and use 2D only for emergency recoveries. (Haven't tried it yet - but it ought to work )
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
I've setup my default Guardian 2D pitch about 10 degrees up, with a slight leftward roll as well. This should result in being able to use 2D for a recovery mode that instead of plowing straight ahead straight and level, the plane will slowly rise in a CCW spiral - thus avoiding trees, buildings, etc. that might otherwise be in the way - and this also prevents a plane in unattended 2D mode from flying off on a straight line into lala land.

So - I'll use 3D for fun and windy days - and use 2D only for emergency recoveries. (Haven't tried it yet - but it ought to work )
If you are near stall speed, pitching 10 deg could send you into a left spiral dive. Also if you are in an "unknown" attitude, I would worry these settings would not get you out, especially if you reflexly cut power.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN