HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:45 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Bloosee's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I use these 350mah 2s http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9028 in both my GB and Beast. The Beast NOW has a 5030 prop the GB 's is the stock one. The GB can also benefit from a 5030 prop?
That is a very big pack for the Beast, I prefer my Beast to be as light as is reasonable, I occasionally fly it on 120mah packs, with those light batteries the first minute of flight is great, but it's downhill quick and done in 3 minutes.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:50 PM
RCG -Minus Member
microflitedude's Avatar
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
I have some G-force 180's...
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:56 AM
Registered User
twincobra's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I use these 350mah 2s http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9028 in both my GB and Beast. The Beast NOW has a 5030 prop the GB 's is the stock one. The GB can also benefit from a 5030 prop?
5030 is better because it stops the OCP issue (if your geebee suffers from this!). It also seems to have a little more thrust.
Mine was terrible with the cutout - til I swapped out the prop.
twincobra is offline Find More Posts by twincobra
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:51 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,331 Posts
Tell us for those like me that don't know what OCP is ??
thanks
I do have some 5030 props that I will use on mine when it comes in
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
Romans 8:34-39
bhoov128's Avatar
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Tell us for those like me that don't know what OCP is ??
thanks
I do have some 5030 props that I will use on mine when it comes in
over current protection - prevents fried bricks
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
That is a very big pack for the Beast, I prefer my Beast to be as light as is reasonable, I occasionally fly it on 120mah packs, with those light batteries the first minute of flight is great, but it's downhill quick and done in 3 minutes.
I fly the Beast from 10-12 minutes using mostly 3/4 throttle with full on occasion.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 AM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Still listed on the Horizon site almost ne year later...




"Gee Bee EFLU4580

Over Current Protection


During production of the E-flite UMX Gee Bee, small tolerances of components have led to some Gee Bee models hitting the Over Current Protection (OCP) during the first initial run of a fully charged battery. When this happens, the motor will shut off as programmed to protect the electronics from an over-current condition. The servos will not stop working and you will still have control of the plane. This only happens when the battery is at a fully charged state and will not happen in the course of an entire flight.To reset the motor, the throttle needs to be cycled back to low power. After the motor has been run for a few seconds and the voltage of the battery has come down, the system will not hit OCP.

This does not occur on all models and should be checked on the ground before each flight. Larger and or higher C rating batteries are not recommended for the Gee Bee, as this could cause the power system to run above the designed limit and hit OCP. Follow the instructions below to prevent hitting OCP during a flight.


Throttle the model up to full power on the ground and let it run for 10-15 seconds. If the model hits OCP and the motor shuts down, cycle the throttle and run the motor again near full power for at least 10 more seconds. This will bring the battery voltage down low enough to prevent hitting OCP during the flight.


Horizon is working to find a long-term solution as soon as possible."




rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:54 AM
Romans 8:34-39
bhoov128's Avatar
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Still listed on the Horizon site almost ne year later...




"Gee Bee EFLU4580

Over Current Protection


During production of the E-flite UMX Gee Bee, small tolerances of components have led to some Gee Bee models hitting the Over Current Protection (OCP) during the first initial run of a fully charged battery. When this happens, the motor will shut off as programmed to protect the electronics from an over-current condition. The servos will not stop working and you will still have control of the plane. This only happens when the battery is at a fully charged state and will not happen in the course of an entire flight.To reset the motor, the throttle needs to be cycled back to low power. After the motor has been run for a few seconds and the voltage of the battery has come down, the system will not hit OCP.

This does not occur on all models and should be checked on the ground before each flight. Larger and or higher C rating batteries are not recommended for the Gee Bee, as this could cause the power system to run above the designed limit and hit OCP. Follow the instructions below to prevent hitting OCP during a flight.


Throttle the model up to full power on the ground and let it run for 10-15 seconds. If the model hits OCP and the motor shuts down, cycle the throttle and run the motor again near full power for at least 10 more seconds. This will bring the battery voltage down low enough to prevent hitting OCP during the flight.


Horizon is working to find a long-term solution as soon as possible."




rc
Perhaps this is the reason for the crash sales - v2 coming with better brick?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Prop adapter

when taking off the stock prop the nose of the prop adapter was so glued to the prop that it sheared off and came off with the prop. Anyone know where I can find the Gee Bee prop adapter?? I've got a service enquiry into Horizon but no response so far..

THANKS

randy

I've located one for the Beast and looking at my Beast it could very well be the same adapter. EFLU4067. I'm off to get it at Hobbytown. Wish me luck

tks

Yes indeed, it's the exact same adapter. Works perfectly.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,743 Posts
You guys who are using the low-power, low cycle-life Zippys & Nanos aught to try a TP 325 65c pack. The difference in flight-performance is like night & day. Plus, you get 10x the cycle-life @ 12c charge, which more than compensates for the difference in price.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Bloosee's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
You guys who are using the low-power, low cycle-life Zippys & Nanos aught to try a TP 325 65c pack. The difference in flight-performance is like night & day. Plus, you get 10x the cycle-life @ 12c charge, which more than compensates for the difference is price.

Joel
I'm sure its a great battery, (TP always are) but its awfully expensive (as TP always are), I like to bring 6-8 packs with me to the field, that's why I run the cheaper stuff. Maybe I'll get a couple.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:36 PM
Romans 8:34-39
bhoov128's Avatar
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
You guys who are using the low-power, low cycle-life Zippys & Nanos aught to try a TP 325 65c pack. The difference in flight-performance is like night & day. Plus, you get 10x the cycle-life @ 12c charge, which more than compensates for the difference is price.

Joel
You charge at almost 4 amps??? How long does it take to fill the tank on those bad boys?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I'm sure its a great battery, (TP always are) but its awfully expensive (as TP always are), I like to bring 6-8 packs with me to the field, that's why I run the cheaper stuff. Maybe I'll get a couple.
But you get a lot more power, and you get 600 cycles with the new TP G6 packs if you take care of them properly. With a 600 cycle lifespan & the ability to charge at 12c (7-8 minute charge from the 80% discharge point), you can fly non-stop all day with just three packs per plane & a dual-channel charger. So, they're cheaper in the long run, and you get a large bump in power thrown in on the deal.

Definitely pick up a couple & try them. You will see what many of us have been taking about. Also, look at my test data on my blog thread. You can clearly see the significant power bump with the TP 325 65c pack. They even outperform the new Hyperion 500 VX 35c packs. (The new Hyp 400 & 500 VX 35c packs are by far the highest performance 'max endurance' packs that will fit the plane.) The Hyp 500s do produce more thrust than the TPs, but not enough to compensate for their extra weight, so the TP 325 65c still provides a better thrust-to-weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
You charge at almost 4 amps??? How long does it take to fill the tank on those bad boys?
Oh, yeah! Only takes 7-8 minutes from the 80% discharge point. You need to use a very accurate charger when charging at these rates. You should see how I charge my TP 2250 65c 3s packs. I crank both channels on my TP 820CD up to 20A, plug in a pair of TP 2250s, and let 'er rip at 8.9c charge. Almost 300 cycles on them & they still pull nearly the same static RPM as they did just after break-in.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:54 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
enter GeeBee and it gets way cheaper
Like 70ish bucks cheap....great deal it is..

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13606302825662
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,331 Posts
.....
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Adrienne Paige Gee Bee R2 Plans Eric Giorgiantonio Fuel Plane Talk 5 Jan 29, 2012 11:02 PM
For Sale Herr Gee Bee R2 (NIB) 25" wingspan pdawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 12, 2011 10:20 AM
Wanted Adrian Page Gee Bee Z 1/5th and/or Gee Bee R2 1/5th (looking for) Xanix Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jul 23, 2007 06:16 PM