Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
lol...of course!

As soon as FMS sends me one
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:54 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
v8, here's a photo of the cockpit...Sorry it's not the detailed version you are looking for but it's the only photo I took earlier today of the cockpit. The pilot is just the bust. Again, not much room for more than a pilot bust. In fact, the one obvious omission is the detailed cockpit like the 1700MM P-51 has. Knowing FMS, they will incorporate a detailed cockpit and sliding canopy in the next version.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:03 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,657 Posts
Thanks! Wow not the room i was expecting to see inside the cockpit. Bust must be the way to go.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:18 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Yeah, for this version (are we calling this V1 or V2?) they skimped on the cockpit detail. I think it's because during the manufacturing phase of this plane, their focus started to turn back to their 1400 series due to lagging sales on the 1700's.

I am crossing my fingers that sales pick up for the 1700 line because honestly, I LOVE the size of the 1700's much more than the 1400 line. They look more like composites and less like little model RC planes. I understand it's all predicated on sales (world economy + transportation issues = lagging 1700 sales) but FMS is the only manufacturer that I trust for quality foam warbirds and it would be a real shame if we were limited to smaller foam RC warbirds.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aros; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
963 Posts
Now, when will we get a crack at buying the V2?

Also, since you have had both, which is better, the BH or FMS? I have hs65s, eFlite rotating retracts and the upgraded retractable tailwheel ready to go which ever bird. I only have a caste life ice 75 and 10amp external BEC, but that would be fine, won't it?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by eroeder; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Edit
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:47 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Now, when will we get a crack at buying the V2?

Also, since you have had both, which is better, the BH or FMS? I have hs65s, eFlite rotating retracts and the upgraded retractable tailwheel ready to go which ever bird. I only have a caste life ice 75 and 10amp external BEC, but that would be fine, won't it?
This bird should be available for purchase any time now. As for which is better, the LX or FMS Corsair, it's not fair for me to make a definitive response without having several flights of the FMS Corsair under my belt. But just based on surface stuff, I will say the following...

The LX Corsair is the sexiest foam Corsair on the market. The wing-fold is so cool. The scale fidelity is gorgeous BUT they messed up the vertical stab and rudder. They made it too large (allegedly to provide more flight stability for newbies...What a joke), so major knock off on points there.

A book has been written on how bad the electronics and components are so I won't go into detail there. I can already tell you even without months of flying the FMS Corsair that the FMS Corsair is going to win that battle hands down.

The FMS Corsair looks and feels more stout. Similar attention to detail in the scale department but FMS got the gear doors right and the tail wheel function is superior to LX's version. All-in-all, the edge has to go to FMS. Mainly because their components are not junk. If there's an issue, they fix it, as in yesterday.

Now if the FMS model had a wicked wing-fold option? Holy crap...I would say it's the finest Corsair on the market, period, including versions that are composite.

As for your setup, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a 75A ESC. I would go 85 and up. The 10A Ext BEC is totally fine. For my comfort zone, I want a 100A ESC. That way, I know I can WOT as much as I want without fear of thermal shutdown.

I can't wait to see what ya'll do with this girl. Paint her up. Enjoy her. This is a beautiful, beautiful foam Corsair.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:55 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,488 Posts
For what its worth - I don't think the folding wing is necessary. BUT for a 1700 WS model it would be usefull to be able to remove those outer portions of the wings for transport a la the LX P40. The could be done on a corsair without spoiling its scale looks. Maybe the wiring could be left intact if they were long enough.Just so you could swing the wings around enough to get the plane into the car or what ever.
Perhaps this idea could be modded? Its just an ' off the cuff ' idea so don't be to harsh on me please.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Last edited by Kaikokid; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:47 AM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,249 Posts
Pounce Wheel & rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
That wheel wont leave any discernable marks in this sort of foam.
Possibly certain types may not - but this one sure does. Take a look.

Hink
Hink64 is online now Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Mr. Patience couldn't wait until the afternoon to maiden so off I went to the school for the maiden flight. The winds had finally died down and it was absolutely perfect conditions. After the pre-flight check it was time to roll. The takeoff run was perfect, just the usual steady right rudder to keep tracking straight and she left the earth easily.

I was astonished that no trimming was needed! None. She flew hands off the sticks at altitude. Another gorgeous flyer from FMS. So smooth and perfect tracking. Flaps slow her down predictably. Beware the stall speed fast approaches with full flaps. On the first landing I bounced pretty good. Tough retracts! I have a bad habit of dropping the throttle to idle and let the flare bleed off the remaining speed. Sometimes this works to a perfect greaser, other times I bounce.

I went around again and brought her down with some throttle to the greaser I craved. AMAZING looks and flight performance! I am SO happy!

What's an Aros Maiden Story without the obligatory "Oh Crap I Can't Believe This Happened!" portion? So after the first flight, I took off the tanks to see if I would notice any speed increase. The one thing you will notice that she is a slug bone-stock. I'm not sure how to go about a pitch mod for the props but she could use it. WOT was probably 50-55mph-ish. Beautiful for slow scale flight but if you like some horses under the hood, a power upgrade may be required.

So off went the tanks and back up she went. I didn't really notice much of a speed increase. Like the 1700 P-47, she's a heavy girl. However, I will always sacrifice top speed for scale 3 or 4 blades on my warbirds. Any how, I went around the pattern and I did the one thing you should never do. I flew her right into the Sun. I lost orientation completely and there she was upside down going straight into the ground!! OH NO!!!! However, at literally the last second (I lost her behind some bushes, I thought she was destroyed), a pure luck stick movement pitched her back into the skies!

The Phoenix rising from the ashes!!!!

I was shaking so bad it was everything I could do to land her. She came down, greased the landing and I almost threw up.

I brought her back thanking my Flight Angels every step of the way. I took the post-maiden photos literally with the cell phone shaking in my hand.

She's a gorgeous plane, she's all mine, and IN ONE PIECE!!

Thank you Flight Angels!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
You lucky bastard you!

Sorry I missed that, hope to see you at the field soon so we can get some videos of her.

I hope the winds stay calm, I'm about ready to take the Starmax Mustang out, hopefully it comes back.. LOL

P.S. I really need to get me one of the FMS warbirds, I need to stop spending money on my helicopters and get some serious scale planes!
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Last edited by seahawk1984; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added to message
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Arros, What motor does she have in her? the 270kv or the 300kv?
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,657 Posts
lol! Congrats on the maiden flight, "Classic Aros Style". What size battery & brand were you using? I would suggest you try going to a gens ace brand battery 4600mah (30C) and you will feel the speed increase right off the bat and designate this to only this plane. I flew my P51 today and used my 4000mah Zippy 40c and she flies good with the prop mod, w/o it i could only wonder. Next flight i dropped in my 4000mah 25c Gens Ace and she was screaming through the sky. Sometimes its just a matter of battery selection. Although a motor upgrade wouldnt hurt also... since i often "feel the need...the need for speed"!!!! Congrats Aros again!

Hey didnt you say you were going to get a video of it?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Hey didnt you say you were going to get a video of it?
He chickened out! LOL, we had planned on meeting at the field this afternoon to get the maiden on video, but he didn't want to wait. Personally I think he just didn't want a crash on video.. LOL

Actually I'm just kidding, couldn't resist giving Aros a hard time.

I'm heading out the field now Aros, should be there for the rest of the day, if you get this message and have time, swing on by, I'll have my camera ready just in case.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,657 Posts
Yaaaa Sure your kidding!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
LOL...Yeah I didn't want a crash on the maiden caught on video!

Brandon, I forgot to check the motor...Will do today. Wayne, I'm on my way!

Video will be posted tonight!
RCG Plus Member