HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:12 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Build Log
Nan Orion

Having flown a collection of old rudder, elevator, spoiler electric gliders for some time the time has come to see what these mouldies are all about, so this is a build log of the Nan Orion that has just arrived on my doorstep.
The plan is to do this on a reasonable budget if possible, one problem that has already cropped up is that my radios are not really up to this so I have had to buy a new radio. The solution is a second hand Multiplex Evo 9 which I plan to convert to 2.4Ghz using a FrSky Hack module. So budget is blown!

Link to Orion;
http://www.acemodel.co.uk/electric-m.../prod_289.html

The first thing I have done is to work on the motor mount as this all seems familiar, its a real squeeze to fit in a 35mm outrunner, I have had had to add a ply spacer to give the motor wires a little room. If this does not work then I will need to rethink the motor choice.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:49 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Nice project, Graham. A good motor for a very slender nose like on your Orion would be one of the MVVS motors, with no exterior wiring to worry about. Take a look at what Puffin Models, near Bristol, has to offer. The MVVS 4.6/840 or the 4.6/840 Sport may be appropriate. Good power on 3S LiPo for sailplanes up to 2.5Kg.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Orion

Graham,

We have these in stock now too here in the US.
I hope to get mine built soon too!
Very nice toy...

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Joel

The MVVS motors look like a good glider solution, I'm not sure at this stage how much weight in the nose I will need to balance the plane. If I can get away with a 140g motor I would be happy to keep the overall weight down. The plan is to use the Turnigy motor and 3s2200 batteries. If I need more weight up front then other motors come into play.

Bob
It does look like a nice toy and this size, 2.4m/95" is not too intimidating or too small, I think you will move a lot of these, can't wait to see how it flys. What colours do you have?

Spent some time today making a servo tray, took 2 goes! from lite ply for the fuselage servos. There is a hatch under the wing for the servos to keep them out of the way of the battery etc and avoids putting them in the tail which can be a pain.

Graham
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Orion

Graham,
Yes, another winner from NAN~!

We have:
white/red
red/white
orange/white...

Think I am going to do a o/w...

Best,
Bob
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:10 PM
London
Joined Dec 2003
101 Posts
Nice glider Graham

I almost changed my mind when I saw the yellow and black airframe, but I kept with red and white as I these are the best colours for me to see in the sky.

My plane weighs 1.55k, it thermals very well in light air but more important for me it performs well in a 15+mph breeze.
I have an old Hacker B40-10L with a 4.4-1 gearbox and a 3S TPower lipo. On a 14 x 10s RFM prop it climbs about 2000+ft/min.

My motor weighs 205g which is a fair bit more than yours so you will need to get your lipo quite near the front to get the model to balance.

Pete
Mitch-air is offline Find More Posts by Mitch-air
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
How is this different from the Spider 2.5E?
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:52 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Orion

Ralph,
Different wing section, fuse, whole new model...

Best,
Bob
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:57 AM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
Nice. The Spider was NAN wasn't it?
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,418 Posts
Here is a picture of the NAN Spider/Alex xxl to compare. Alexx is 2.5 meter..Ralph started a Spider thread in 2007
I think I have found a big enough field to maiden it

NAN Orion looks interesting, nice looking wing. Alexx wing has less dihedral in center, outer sections more upswept.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Nov 30, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Pete,

Its great to see a finished Orion especially on a nice looking day! So I will need to keep everything up front to get the balance, thats good to know at this stage.
What size battery are you using?

320 Pilot,

The Alex looks great, the fuselage looks like a similar layout to the Orion, are the servos under the wing also? How are your wing servo connectors sorted, looks like they are fixed in the fuz. Do you some more photos?
Good luck with the maiden.

Graham
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Do you some more photos?
more Alex XXL pics
some posted on Spider thread, High Performance
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Nov 30, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:05 PM
London
Joined Dec 2003
101 Posts
It was a great day Graham but a bit cold. It was the planes first flights at a Barcs multi launch comp. Unfortunately I had forgotten to make a proper job of fixing the motor bulkhead with epoxy. I had only spot glued it with cyano and it popped out on the first slot landing that day.
My battery is a TPower G4 Lipo 3S-1750.
You mentioned maybe placing your rx in front of the fus. servos. I found that in this position it obstructed the wing servo wires.
My rx. is just behind the fus servos.
I use Multiplex M-link, and an EVO9 tx.

Pete
Mitch-air is offline Find More Posts by Mitch-air
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:47 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Update

OK its been a few weeks and some progress has been made.

It turned out that I did not have quite enough movement in the elevator servo so had to pull them out and make a front and back tray to give lots of movement for the elevator. Nothing awkward just a time waster and of course lots more time wondering which way to do it!

Then onto the wing and wiring harnesss, this was made up and uses 4 pin deans connectors with the servo leads soldered onto the wire ends. Could have been a bit shorter but its handy for access.

The pushrod holes have to be cut in the wing, so, much measuring and several evenings eyeballing later, holes were drilled in the wing and opened up with a rat tail file. I would have preferred this to be done at the factory preferably with some fairings over the top. The wing servos were wrapped in insulating tape and epoxied in to position after a lot of test fitting.

The other time consumer has been getting to grips with the Multiplex programming on the Evo9, its all coming together, its just in fits and starts, the radio is now converted to Frsky 2.4ghz and test flown with another simpler rudder elevator eglider, all went well.

So still need to;
Sort out motor wire retainer, to avoid the spinning can.
Battery and ESC positions.
Hight limiter location.
RX location.
Finish programming radio.
Then wait for good weather
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hi Graham,

Looking great! Just got my Orion a couple of days ago so I'm still in the early planning stage. Big decision for me is the motor/battery...not sure which direction to take. A couple of questions, if you don't mind?

Looks like the ball link is centered in the divot on the rudder. How much rudder throw are you able to get?

What servos are you using on the ailerons? And would you happen to have pics of the install and cutout for the clevis?

And a request to Bob...would you be able to post some pics of your build? I like to see how your plane is set up.

Thanks!
Scot
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY